PDA

View Full Version : Jeep sound system install questions

TJaeFick
July 22nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
I'm planning the box for my 05 LJ to put an amp, sub, and rear speakers in and had some questions. Here is a pic of the planned box that will fit behind the rear seat. The top and side are hidden to show interior. 95% of the time, the rear seat won't be in the jeep so the front-facing speakers won't be an issue unless the seat is in there, in which case I'm probably not going to have the thing blasting away. The plan is to also mount the amp on a "drawer" with sliders for easy access to connections and making on-the-fly adjustments to gain, crossover, etc.:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b421/TJaeFick/LJ%20Box.jpg

The volumes of each of the close, non-ported spaces are within parameters for the speakers, and i'd be using standard MDF.

That's a 5 channel JBL amp, 12" woofer, and I'm undecided between four 5.25" or two 6x9's. I had a similar setup in the TJ with the two 6x9's but that only had two 8" woofers, so because I have all the bass covered with the 12" woofer this time, I was thinking the four 5.25"s would give more clarity. The amp is also pushing the two 4x6's in the front dash and two 1.5" tweeters (with crossover). It can do all this effectively, but does start to get warm at high volumes, thus I'm also think additional ventilation for the amp chamber.

Any flaws in this design? Anything anyone would change? Should the sub chamber be ported? Okay to run the front channels at 4ohm and the rear at 2? I already have the amp, so that's the one piece of the puzzle that likely won't change.

Thanks for your help!

JeepWheelin02
July 23rd, 2015, 08:58 AM
Down firing subs are great, and it looks like you have some space under the sub.... How much space is that? I would wait on porting until you know which speakers you are going with. Definitely add ventilation to the amp portion.

mortimersnerd
July 23rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
You could even leave the top open on the amp portion.