PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting DIN settings on ski bindings

74BuckinBronc
March 2nd, 2015, 03:29 AM
I have these skis/bindings:
http://www.backcountry.com/k2-amp-76ti-ski-marker-m3-12.0-binding

The DIN is now set to 8 and based on charts I am finding online, they could be cranked up to 9 for my ski type, etc. Which makes sense as they do seem to pop off just a tad too easy. However, I am finding very little information out there on how to set these up properly and we lack certified techs around here, so I am hoping I can get some information from someone here. This board always amazes me at how much info we collectively possess!

During some of my research on Marker bindings there is a screw on the heal clip adjusting the forward pressure. This site recommended that that screw be screwed in so it was flush with the plastic housing.
http://theskimonster.com/files/theskimonster/ckfinder/images/Marker-Binding-Forward-Adjustment.JPG

That is not in reference to my specific binding, so I am not sure it really applies. That's my first question. Should I screw the Forward Pressure screw in to be flush as the picture shows?

Second, I assume if my forward pressure needs adjusting (tightened), then that would be nearly the same as tightening the DIN? So maybe if I need to set the forward pressure properly, then I may not need to increase my DIN??

I only have one more ski trip planned this year, and while that could change, it's unlikely since we'll have guests visiting us for a month. So I am hoping to get it all right for the next trip out. But at least if I have a general knowledge of what do to, I can borrow the tools on the moutain and make any other adjustments.

Thanks!

bsaunder
March 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
Forward pressure and DIN are two separate, but related settings. Forward pressure adjusts the binding setting for proper fit to the boot sole. DIN is your release setting.
Unless you have changed boots or moved your bindings, you shouldn't need to change forward pressure. If it wasn't set correctly and is too loose, then you may have some pre-release and overall slop; however, with some bindings, it will actually cause higher than wanted release values as well for some release angles.

Changing the DIN will be independent and a separate screw.
Some older bindings don't have forward pressure settings and all have slightly different methods for checking so I'd highly recommend finding a manual for your model binding so you are sure to adjust it correctly. Just like working on your own vehicle - do so at your own risk.

74BuckinBronc
March 3rd, 2015, 01:49 AM
I'm on the same page with you. I see that there is one screw for forward pressure and two for setting DIN (one front, one back).

I found the manual online under Marker Canada, as if that makes any sense. Anywho, it says:

CHECK FORWARD PRESSURE:
Place the ski boot into the binding, close the binding.
Check if the forward pressure adjustment screw is flush with the
back of the heel housing. (picture 8.6 - 9)
If this adjustment is incorrect, turn the screw until it is flush with
the back of the housing.
Remove the ski boot, then re - insert it into the binding and recheck
the adjustment

http://www.markercanada.com/pdf/manual/13%2014%20Tech%20Manual%20USA.pdf Page 98.

My FP screws are sticking out of the back of the housing by about 1/8", so it seems to me they are incorrect based on the info above. If that's true, and I tighten them down to flush, won't that tighten the connection between the boot and the ski? Therefore, no adjustment of the DIN may be necessary??

Thanks for the help Ben. As I said, I'm not sure there is anyone here who really knows what they are doing so I am trying to fix it myself, but I want to make sure I am understanding it all correctly.

bsaunder
March 3rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
All standard disclaimers - yea, I'd get the pressure to speck and then test or ski before adjusting the DIN.
My kid's binding was in the same state and it pre-released on the toe anytime she got into the back seat.

74BuckinBronc
March 3rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
Disclaimers...I'm a hand-shake kinda guy, so I get what you're saying. You won't have to worry about me.

But what your daughter experienced seems exactly what I am. Skiing along in chopped up powder, one ski catches, pops off and down I go. Most the time I lose the ski under the snow somewhere. Other times I flip it over my head depending on circumstances.