PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new sled this year. Hunting for info.

ROCK BRAWLER
September 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Hey guys I'm buying a new sled this year and would like some feedback on what brand, models, suspension types to stay away from or look into.

I got into sledding two years ago and am into mountain riding. The sled I have is 01 Mountain Max 700 triple. it was a good sled to learn on.

I really enjoy Snowmobiling so this year I want to get something new.

I am a big guy 6 foot and 240 pounds I need something with some power and suspension that will handle my weight.

I asked a friend and he had recommended ski doo or Polaris-but I'm wondering if there's some more in-depth information I could get from you guys.
I imagine that an 800 is the size motor that I should get.

I appreciate any info. thank you :beer:

cheftyler
September 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Hey guys I'm buying a new sled this year and would like some feedback on what brand, models, suspension types to stay away from or look into.

I got into sledding two years ago and am into mountain riding. The sled I have is 01 Mountain Max 700 triple. it was a good sled to learn on.

I really enjoy Snowmobiling so this year I want to get something new.

I am a big guy 6 foot and 240 pounds I need something with some power and suspension that will handle my weight.

I asked a friend and he had recommended ski doo or Polaris-but I'm wondering if there's some more in-depth information I could get from you guys.
I imagine that an 800 is the size motor that I should get.

I appreciate any info. thank you :beer:

Paging Bauer...

R0CKET
September 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM
We run RMK 900's and they're fun.. the newest one in our group is a 2014 Polaris RMK 800 with a race head and pistons, plumbed for nitrous and contemplating a turbo.

I don't ride the way that dude does. I pretty much only use them for backcountry skiing access. The 2006 RMK 900 is a 1-seater, but we can put 3 on, and 2 skiers in tow. Burns a lot of belts that way, but it's strong enough to do it.

Bauer
September 13th, 2014, 10:18 PM
It really depends on what type of riding you want to do and what you can/feel like fixing. They all have their pros and cons. Chassis and suspension are pretty similar now days. Motors are all 'bout the same. That being said. I'm pretty familiar with Yamaha, AC, and Polaris. I've heard good things about the Doo. But know about them. Here's my run down of sleds I'm really familiar with.

Yamaha Apex

Dead on reliable, never had a problem. Change the oil and put gas in it. I weighed 220 when I got it. After a season I was 195. It's heavy. You will hate it for some time, until you get used to it. Rear suspension is too soft, make sure it has reverse. People will give you shit about it, hot grips suck, no place to put a muff pot.

AC M8 SnoPro

Love it!!! Love it!! Love it!! Mine has been modded with an RKT head and a re-buildable spider in the primary. I had to realign the clutch weights damn near every ride because it's a shitty clutch, since I have the re-buildable primary, it never shattered and fawked up the hood and my face while it was at it. Hot grips can cook bacon, there is a place for a muff pot, and the Fox air shocks fawkin rule! The Diamond drive on older models can have issues, new ones went back to a chain case. Has been towed back by the Apex. But it rips!

Polaris RMK pro 800

This thing would make people that hate winter, burn their speedos, and sell the boat! Depending on the year, of course. the '13's had glued together primary driver, and A-arms. Ya. The glue didn't hold. Recalls have been made and that little disaster might be over. Handles excellent, suspension is good, frame and everything else is weak to save weight, rear bumper is a joke, and the tunnel has been known to bend. Hot grips are meh, if they work at all. There is a place for a muff pot, but it's not stellar.

In closing, if you like screwing around with clutch problems and want to look cool get a Cat. If you want to up the ante and get some, get a Pro. If you want to ride all day, lose weight, and tow the Pro and the M8 back to the trailer, get a Yamaha. :beer:

GPP33
September 16th, 2014, 11:41 PM
I might be looking around the end of the month. I'm thinking about expanding my BC ski options with a sled. Let me know if you want to sell what you have now.

Bauer
September 17th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I might be looking around the end of the month. I'm thinking about expanding my BC ski options with a sled. Let me know if you want to sell what you have now.

Who me? If so, the Apex is for sale. And I have a 600 Powder Special for sale too. Lemme know.

GPP33
September 17th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Actually I was talking to the OP but tell me more.

And I just went back and re read your thread. WTF is a muff pot?

jph3
September 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM
WTF is a muff pot?

http://www.amazon.com/Muffpot-12-1822-Snowmobile-Stainless-Exhaust/dp/B006VW9P8O

Only the greatest thing to ever come to snowmobiling.

Seriously... I'd look hard at the AC 800. But I think it will come down to what is the best deal, with the lowest use... and how new is it? All of the new stuff 2008+ is really good... I just used to ride AC because the dealer was closest.

CSP
September 18th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I have Hot Doggers on my sleds as opposed to muff pots. The name alone scares me (reality is Hot Doggers were installed before the Muff Pot came to market).

ROCK BRAWLER
September 18th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Thank you for all information...
Bauer what you said is basically the same info i got from a friend :beer: :beer: :beer:
I pulled the trigger on this bad boy
polaris rmk 800 Terrain Dominator 163
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/rockbrawler1/01241EC6-0905-48F7-B29F-F283686EA860.jpg (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/rockbrawler1/media/01241EC6-0905-48F7-B29F-F283686EA860.jpg.html)
It should be here in a couple weeks....:cool: :beer: :cool:

Bauer
September 18th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I have Hot Doggers on my sleds as opposed to muff pots. The name alone scares me (reality is Hot Doggers were installed before the Muff Pot came to market).

I got the pot, cuz that's what they had. I love cooking Brats in the Muff Pot! :beer:

Only the greatest thing to ever come to snowmobiling.

This. That warm food is nice! You can pretty much put anything in there. I once stuffed a gas station hamburger in it. The buns where dry, but it worked! :laughing: If it fits in an oven bag, and the Hotdogger/muffpot and is pre cooked you can eat it in BFE, in the middle of a blizzard.

Actually I was talking to the OP but tell me more.

2000 Powder special 600 EFI. 3k miles. Bought it for the wife. She doesn't like being cold, ridden maybe 10 times since I bought it. 2006 Apex 5k miles, Hartman clutching, geared down a tooth, 1 season on an A20 track in hill climb position, oil lite bushings on the A-arms, 2007 bars and hotgrips because they work better. Solid sled, just don't get it stuck alone. :laughing:

Thank you for all information...
Bauer what you said is basically the same info i got from a friend :beer: :beer: :beer:
I pulled the trigger on this bad boy
polaris rmk 800 Terrain Dominator 163
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/rockbrawler1/01241EC6-0905-48F7-B29F-F283686EA860.jpg (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/rockbrawler1/media/01241EC6-0905-48F7-B29F-F283686EA860.jpg.html)
It should be here in a couple weeks....:cool: :beer: :cool:

You're going to love it!!!!!

jph3
September 18th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Seriously. That is an awesome sled. Congratulations on the purchase.

Phazertwo A.K.A Brenden
November 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
But it doesn't have a turbo?? I don't get it... :flipoff2:

PZ