PDA

View Full Version : DOT approved Dirt bike tires

in4aride
May 10th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Ok so I am going to be plating the WR. Have everything else sorted out except tires. Street use will be limited to between trails and just to kick back and forth to work. Im not worried about street manners, I can handle the bike on the street.
Im looking for the best Knobby/aggressive tire that is still DOT approved. My knowledge of the Dirt tire world is minimal at best. Any suggestions. Tires to stay away from?

greenramp
May 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM
D606 run them on my KLR650 (lots of street) and DRZ400 (very little street)

http://www.gdlcycles.com/general/TR/TR-tr_31-8172--1.jpg

in4aride
May 14th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Ya I demo'd those and I think they would be good as a rear they float too much for my liking. Goin with a mixed set of Pirelli's. Mt 43/21 rear and front, respectively. Thanks though.

teamextreme
May 14th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Im looking for the best Knobby/aggressive tire that is still DOT approved.

IMO, that D606 meets your stated requirements, it's the most aggressive DOT tire I've ever seen. I'm surprised it has a DOT approval as "knobby" as it looks. The MT43 is a far less aggressive trials tire, but gets rave reviews from most everyone who runs it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Having said that, I can't comment much on either as I haven't tried them myself. I put a Kenda K270 dual sport tire on my 450EXC last year and am happy with it for mixed street and trail use.

in4aride
May 15th, 2014, 02:55 AM
sorry I should have specified better. I was looking for the front mostly. Like I said I think they are great as a rear but float too much up front. I think the 43 will suit my needs fine. and if not im likely to put a 606 on the rear and see how it does back there.