PDA

View Full Version : Tax form question

Waifer2112
March 13th, 2014, 08:36 AM
I'm downloading the tax forms I'll need for 2013 off the IRS website. All the forms are downloadable except the 1098 (mortage interest deduction). According to the site, you have to wait 1-2 weeks for them to snail mail you the forms. WITFF!!!! Why is this one form not downloadable and all the others I need are?

Anyone have a way around this? No online forms as I don't have the interturd at home. I'm putting all the forms on a USB drive, I'll fill them out at home and send them snail mail.

al24
March 13th, 2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.irs.com/articles/local-irs-tax-forms

Waifer2112
March 13th, 2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.irs.com/articles/local-irs-tax-forms

Guess I'll have to try the post office in bongtown. Mead PO doesn't have any.

Why in hell can't you download this one GD form?!?!?

It's really getting to be very difficult to not have internet access at home.

al24
March 13th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Can you copy the red one the say not to use and use photoshop to change it to black?

Library?

Waifer2112
March 13th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I was complaining to anyone at work who would listen about this, and a group of folks who went in on a Turbo Tax disc just gave it to me to use. I've used TT before and it's easy as microwavable pie!

I'll leave this thread up in case anyone wants to ask more tax questions.

cheftyler
March 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I was complaining to anyone at work who would listen about this, and a group of folks who went in on a Turbo Tax disc just gave it to me to use. I've used TT before and it's easy as microwavable pie!

I'll leave this thread up in case anyone wants to ask more tax questions.

TT is good, I didn't realize people actually purchased the discs, though...that seems weird.

Waifer2112
March 13th, 2014, 11:05 AM
TT is good, I didn't realize people actually purchased the discs, though...that seems weird.

If you don't register it you can use it multiple times. So a group of 8 people bought one disc at $8 each. $7 now that I'm in on it. Heckuva deal to get you taxes done with $7!

cheftyler
March 13th, 2014, 12:36 PM
If you don't register it you can use it multiple times. So a group of 8 people bought one disc at $8 each. $7 now that I'm in on it. Heckuva deal to get you taxes done with $7!

That is a pretty good deal :thumsbup:

teamextreme
March 13th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Maybe I'm confused, I saw the form you were referring to, but I viewed that form as the one the banks/mortgage companies fill out and send to you. Unless you're a mortgage company, I don't think you need that form. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I was downloading forms I'll be needing too and if it's neccessary, I'll need it too.

Waifer2112
March 14th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Maybe I'm confused, I saw the form you were referring to, but I viewed that form as the one the banks/mortgage companies fill out and send to you. Unless you're a mortgage company, I don't think you need that form. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I was downloading forms I'll be needing too and if it's neccessary, I'll need it too.

I'm no tax expert. In fact, I'm barely a tax dummy!

A few years ago I got in trouble with my taxes, so I took all my info to an accountant. Since then I've been using that as a template for doing taxes myself (being as how very little changes year to year for me tax wise). He used a 1098 for mortage int. deduction, so I've been doing it too.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and answer it better than me. If not, I'll see how Turbo Tax handles mort. int. deductions this weekend and get back to you.

CSP
March 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
That's correct, the 1098 is the form that the banks/mortgage lender sends for the interest you've paid on your mortgage.

Schedule A (itemized deductions) is the form you report mortgage interest on, provided your itemized deductions are higher than the standard deduction. You don't turn in a 1098 to the IRS. The mortgage lender will send them the amount that they reported to you on the 1098 that should have been in the mail to you by 1/31/14.

DaJudge
March 14th, 2014, 04:03 PM
That's correct, the 1098 is the form that the banks/mortgage lender sends for the interest you've paid on your mortgage.

Schedule A (itemized deductions) is the form you report mortgage interest on, provided your itemized deductions are higher than the standard deduction. You don't turn in a 1098 to the IRS. The mortgage lender will send them the amount that they reported to you on the 1098 that should have been in the mail to you by 1/31/14.

1098 is the source document for deducting the mortgage interest you paid and the property taxes you paid. Make sure the numbers on your schedule A and on the 1098 are the same. If for some reason they are different, add an explanatory note. (They might be different if you have a 2nd Mortgage or HELOC. Then you would have 2 1098's and report the total on Schedule A.)