PDA

View Full Version : Losi 1/18th crawler - should I buy?

74BuckinBronc
March 5th, 2014, 09:18 AM
So interestingly enough I have had this crawler come up for sale here on a site similar to CL. He's asking around $85 and it comes with one of those mini quad helicopters. This is what it looks like:

http://blog.pchobbies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Off_Road_Expo1.jpg

And it looks to be a great shape. I don't see any scratches on the beadlocks or suspension links, but the pics are small.

I have the Exceed 1/16" crawler and have enjoyed it, but it's hard to find time with two kids. My son loves to play with it, but charging the batteries etc seems to be more of a chore anymore. And I don't have the greatest of places to crawl, but I continue to collect rocks when I can and have to set them up each time and take them back down when I am done.

However, my son just got a gift from some friends in the form of a small RC jeep. It's a walmart type thing, but at 3.5yrs, he's controlling it fairly well. And he's driven my Exceed a little here and there too and does equally well with it given this size of his hands.

I know I'll get some grief from my wife for buying this, and I know it's a good deal, but I just need a little push to pull the trigger.

Then I assume it'll be the better of the two crawlers so my son inherits the Exceed? Or maybe just own them jointly because the Exceed is slightly bigger. Irrelevant, sorry!

So should I or shouldn't I? The ad has been up for a while, but was recently reposted, so I think it's safe to say it is still available.

newracer
March 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I have three of those and they are great. The helicopters are also very fun, my sons each have one.

zkeys
March 6th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Buy it. The Losi is a deal at $85, and quadcopters are fun!!

74BuckinBronc
March 19th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I bought it! It's in great shape, but has been modified to go faster. I have all the stock stuff, so I'll be asking questions about what all needs done to make it so. He put bent rear links on the rear and has ones for the front. I'm not sure what else has been changed and haven't had a chance to dig thru the box. But I am excited get out and crawl with it!

Also got the quad copter and played a little with it. This one must be fairly cheap as it's hard to control and the blades don't spin at the same speed.

zkeys
March 19th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Also got the quad copter and played a little with it. This one must be fairly cheap as it's hard to control and the blades don't spin at the same speed.

Congrats man! Let us know how it compares to the Exceed.

Too bad about the quad. I bought one at my local hobby shop for $40, and it is a blast. My son loves it as well.

I still think the Losi is worth the money. You got a good buy.

colombiapunk
April 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Great deal on the Losi,

By 3 years old my son already decided that his walmart R/C Jeep wasn't fun and got stuck too easily. He commandeered my 1/10th scale Axial enough times I was happy when christmas rolled around and I got to get him his own 1/10th scale 2.2 crawler.

I say give the kid the bigger faster one. My son's is faster and bigger than mine, nothing makes him happier than beating mine in races... it takes being an adult to realize that slow and low is where it's at for cralwing.

74BuckinBronc
April 7th, 2014, 02:09 AM
We haven't had time to play with them at all. When I had it in the living room, he wanted to play, but we just didn't have the time.

One thing I like about my Exceed is that you can "dial back" the remote and control max speed with it. Maybe it's possible with the Losi too, but none of the dials seem to respond to adjustment.

Maybe we'll pull them out one evening here soon and see how he does with the Losi!

If it's too fast, I'll be posting pictures and get some recommendations on how to return it to stock.