PDA

View Full Version : Who rides off road?

Colo.TJ
February 27th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Just wondering who rides off road. Single track type riding i.e Rampart Range.

_CJ
February 27th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Just wondering who rides off road. Single track type riding i.e Rampart Range.

I ride a street legal dirtbike, but more into dirt roads and 4x4 trails....dirt + speed and distance.

J Kimmel
February 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Yes. As much as I can, Rand is my favorite followed by Moab

Colo.TJ
February 27th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Rand is also my favorite. It's been a few years though. We rarely saw anyone when we went up. Still like that?

J Kimmel
February 27th, 2014, 10:51 PM
still like that

Colo.TJ
February 28th, 2014, 11:32 AM
still like that

That's so awesome! I'm in the process of rebuilding my CRF250X to sell. But, I may just keep it if I could get w/ some peeps like you who would be willing to take me to Rand and such when they went since I'm sans a truck or trailer. :D

Do you usually camp or day trip Rand. It's a bit far for just a day trip but can be done.

I did do Hell's Revenge once on the X. It was my first outing on the trials tire and it performed awesome on the slick rock. It does take the sliding, rooster tailing, two stroke technique away from the experience but that tire gets such amazing traction. In all conditions including mud which surprised me. It's great for the low speed, technical sections where you use that low end torque to get over and around obstacles.

What are you riding? I'm about to pull the trigger on a WR250X motard/ dual sport as well. IIRC you also have a WR or WRF.

J Kimmel
February 28th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I do both day trips and overnights, it depends on who's going. This year will depend on how new baby is...

I'm on a YZ, and yes I'm always happy to split some gas in a truck, I'm sure I can round one up to take. I'd love to have someone else to ride with :)

Grant H.
March 1st, 2014, 01:50 AM
I haven't, but once I have the WR up and running, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it.

ETA: I have a truck, and access to a couple different trailers.

Colo.TJ
March 1st, 2014, 11:10 AM
Works for me. :)

teamextreme
March 1st, 2014, 02:49 PM
I have a plated 07 KTM 450EXC that I don't get to ride as much as I'd like to, but have a blast when I do. I love doing the Moab trails, any single track, Rampart was always a favorite, but honestly haven't been back there in probably 6 years. I love being street legal and being able to connect loops and ride straight from camp to trails. Last summer I left the condo in Dillon and did a loop up Tiger Run, up to the top of Georgia pass, down to Montezuma and back to Dillon. That was awesome. Many years ago someone organized a CO4x4 dirt bike trip to Rampart. We had about 8 or 10 guys show up. We should try that again this summer.

_CJ
March 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM
I have a plated 07 KTM 450EXC that I don't get to ride as much as I'd like to, but have a blast when I do. I love doing the Moab trails, any single track, Rampart was always a favorite, but honestly haven't been back there in probably 6 years. I love being street legal and being able to connect loops and ride straight from camp to trails. Last summer I left the condo in Dillon and did a loop up Tiger Run, up to the top of Georgia pass, down to Montezuma and back to Dillon. That was awesome. Many years ago someone organized a CO4x4 dirt bike trip to Rampart. We had about 8 or 10 guys show up. We should try that again this summer.

Keep an eye out for this one around father's day.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864387

280 miles and 15 hours round trip for me last year.

Colo.TJ
March 1st, 2014, 03:55 PM

That looks awesome. How did you refuel?

I was a huge fan of Rampart but it's just too busy and too many quads and the trails have widened too much. I would have to say that I would rate Rampart over Rand for my personal taste if you could take Rampart back about 20 years. Although it's taking MUCH longer to get all of Rand under my belt. I'm guessing I've touched about 25%. Possibly more but I'm not sure. All this armchair riding and I'm ready to keep the X and get a truck. Damn you guys. :P

J Kimmel
March 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
Keep it, lets ride. I've ridden most of it up there and it's good.

_CJ
March 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM
That looks awesome. How did you refuel?

Only gassed up once in Breck. I've got a big tank, so it wasn't an issue at all. The 2-smoke guys started in W/P (I left from my house in Colo Sprgs) and stopped in Lake George, Jefferson, and Breck.

teamextreme
March 1st, 2014, 11:23 PM

That looks like fun, I may have to try to make that one.

Colo.TJ
March 27th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Keep it, lets ride. I've ridden most of it up there and it's good.

Keeping it. Bought a truck. Still working on it but the 230 is ready to ride. LMK when/where you want to ride. Going to try Rampart soon to get back in the groove since it's been awhile.

in4aride
March 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
For you guys that ride offroad like this. What kind of gear are you wearing. Obviously a lid gloves and goggles. But do you guys rock the full boots, pants, shirt and pads type deal or what? I'm edging my hunger for another streetbike and picking up a wr tomorrow. I'm ised to full leathers track days all the way to some
Dc's gloves and a lid for some Parkin lot riding. So not sure what's reasonable or smart gear to rock???

Impaired
March 28th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Full boots for many reasons that will become very apparent after trail riding.
I wear a roost guard for protection from rocks that can get kicked up, but more so for spine protection when I fly off the bike into rocky places. Rolling helps, but not so much if you don't have protection.

in4aride
March 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Right on. Thanks.

Colo.TJ
March 29th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Full boots. Buy the Sidis. Best boot I ever had. Instantly 'broken in' unlike leather. Super comfortable. Really good protection. Likely saved my ankle from breaking or severely sprained. Dr. was impressed w/ the boot.

Full gear as well. Helmet and gloves are a given. Chest protectors are light and easy to put on. I go w/ the pants for the built in minor padding and overall design to be ridden in. Do the shorties in the summer. Really helps w/ heat. I also like light elbow protection. Just easier to absorb a spill if you're geared up. You can roll with it rather than trying to protect a vulnerable area. I kinda feel naked if I don't have all my gear on once you get used to it. Kinda like football camp where you hated wearing your helmet but by early to mid-season it was just an extension of yourself and learned to appreciate it.

Colo.TJ
March 29th, 2014, 04:29 PM
New trukz.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/ColoTJ/Cars%20and%20motorcycles%20etc/IMG_1016_zps8669aa1b.jpg

w/ new Softopper.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii154/ColoTJ/Cars%20and%20motorcycles%20etc/IMG_1027_zps1015dbe4.jpg

J Kimmel
March 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM
thanks for the call :flipoff2:

glad you have a truck, room for both of us

in4aride
March 29th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Fwiw. I've got a weird schedule but if folks wanna get together to ride I've got the Titan, well I will once it's out the shop, and we can run wherever.

Colo.TJ
March 30th, 2014, 12:29 AM
thanks for the call :flipoff2:

glad you have a truck, room for both of us

I did call you. You were out of the office. Ask Jon, he texted me your contact info.

:flipoff2:

in4aride
March 30th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Here's the ride I picked up. Felt pretty good on the test romp. Gonna get some dot tires and likely plate it just for ease. Plus make it easier to get comfortable with the more I can get on it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/wangurmom1/image_zpsb34aae89.jpg

What's the thoughts on the alpine star boots? Inused to rock some on the track with my cbr. They just as good motocross boots?

Any specific model of the sidi you liked over the rest? Boots are important with the plates and pins in my ankle, so I'll take all the advice I can get there.

Colo.TJ
March 30th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'd say go try them on and see what you like. My Sidis are nearly 10 years old. I think they're the Crossfire.

_CJ
March 31st, 2014, 11:11 AM
For you guys that ride offroad like this. What kind of gear are you wearing. Obviously a lid gloves and goggles. But do you guys rock the full boots, pants, shirt and pads type deal or what? I'm edging my hunger for another streetbike and picking up a wr tomorrow. I'm ised to full leathers track days all the way to some
Dc's gloves and a lid for some Parkin lot riding. So not sure what's reasonable or smart gear to rock???

Helmet, goggles, Fox gloves with the carbon fiber knuckle protectors, Fly moto boots, in the mid calf height. I have a jacket with built in shoulder, elbow and back pads for cold and/or street use. For warmer days of mostly dirt, I've got a compression suit with built in armor and wear a jersey over that. I've got moto pants for dirt/trail, and logging jeans with knee pads in them for more dual-sport oriented stuff.

Colo.TJ
March 31st, 2014, 07:35 PM
And TRD supercharger ordered. :pbj:

Colo.TJ
April 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I now have a trailer. I think large enough to hold 4 full size dirt bikes and gear. Still need to set it up w/ wheel chocks and tie downs. But if you're interested in riding off road ,hit me up.

Also, if you have any ideas on wheel chocks and tie down anchors I'd be happy to listen. I'm trying to stay away from the E-Track as I was hoping to keep the floor as smooth as possible. Not sure why, sleeping on it I'm thinking. But I plan to use a air mattress so not really that critical. I've seen some flush mount wheel chocks that fold up for use. But not really interested in removing that much floor material to fit. I DO want to be able to easily remove the wheel chocks. I found some from harbor freight for the cheap. I'm also thinking putting them in stacked at an angle. Like a newer horse trailers. With the 7' width this may work out pretty well.

J Kimmel
April 12th, 2014, 06:09 PM
can you install a bed buddy in the front of the trailer?

Grant H.
April 16th, 2014, 08:19 PM
The harbor freight wheel chocks have served me and my brother well many times.

We now use the Pitbull trailer restraint system for race bikes and street bikes, but we still have the wheel chocks for dirt bikes and other stuff.

teamextreme
April 17th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Make sure you get tie downs with clips on the hooks that prevent them from coming off. I've had a bike fall over on a trailer once after hitting a bump that compressed the front forks and one tie down disconnected from the lower tie point.

Colo.TJ
April 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
can you install a bed buddy in the front of the trailer?

With the V-nose, I don't think this would work for my needs.

Colo.TJ
June 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Up and runnin'. If my foot isn't broke, I should be ready to ride again next week.

Let me know if anyone is interested in riding single track or what not. Went to Rampart yesterday for the afternoon and there were very few riders and only one four wheeler.

Ghettojeep
June 27th, 2014, 11:18 AM
That's so awesome! I'm in the process of rebuilding my CRF250X to sell. But, I may just keep it if I could get w/ some peeps like you who would be willing to take me to Rand and such when they went since I'm sans a truck or trailer. :D

Do you usually camp or day trip Rand. It's a bit far for just a day trip but can be done.

I did do Hell's Revenge once on the X. It was my first outing on the trials tire and it performed awesome on the slick rock. It does take the sliding, rooster tailing, two stroke technique away from the experience but that tire gets such amazing traction. In all conditions including mud which surprised me. It's great for the low speed, technical sections where you use that low end torque to get over and around obstacles.

What are you riding? I'm about to pull the trigger on a WR250X motard/ dual sport as well. IIRC you also have a WR or WRF.

I read through the thread and saw this... I also saw that you had not bought one yet... I had a WR250R, which is the dual sport non motard version.

My .02... Under powered, top heavy, and a little mushy on the suspension...

I ended up selling mine instead of going through the mods to make it do what it actually is suppose to do.

I'd get a titled wr426 or wr450, even a wr250f over the x/r models. They are not the said all be all for that sized bike. It was a nice bike but I was hoping it filled the gap of street legal dirt bike. It's not.... Close... But I wouldn't buy another one....

Colo.TJ
July 25th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Did 35 miles solo at Rampart today. Only saw a couple of people all day. Rained a little. Good ride. Started to fill up for the weekend as I was leaving.

Colo.TJ
August 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Went up to Rampart Thursday night w/ the fam and camped out to ride Friday. It was pretty good. No dust, lots of puddles, good traction. Not too many people but began to fill up late in the day. It appears that going during the week is the way to go. I've seen just a few people the times I've gone.

On a side note, there's been a bear watch up there pretty much all Summer. As we were setting up camp another couple stopped and gave us a heads up that they just saw a bear about 75 yards from out spot. We didn't see or hear any bears but another camp up the road that had been left unattended was tore up pretty good the next morning. I talked w/ some park rangers inspecting it later in the day and the believe it was a bear who trashed it.

Colo.TJ
August 7th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Another couple days at Rampart. Monday afternoon through Wednesday morning. It seems if you go during the week you'll see very few people and campsites are readily available. I'm beginning to think Rampart gets a bad wrap for it's weekend traffic but is very quiet during the week. Glad I get to pick and choose when I go.

Impaired
March 13th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Nice weather has us getting the itch to get out ride. Went to rampart range today and it was fun as heck but....... Still lots of snow in the trees and low sections. Crazy hard riding added a challenge to normally tame trails. fun getting out. Search and Rescue was out there looking for two riders from Saturday that didn't make it back, but thankfully they found them.

Colo.TJ
March 13th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Nice weather has us getting the itch to get out ride. Went to rampart range today and it was fun as heck but....... Still lots of snow in the trees and low sections. Crazy hard riding added a challenge to normally tame trails. fun getting out. Search and Rescue was out there looking for two riders from Saturday that didn't make it back, but thankfully they found them.

March 13th is hella early for Rampart. Any pics?

I went out in mid April the first time I ever went out there. It was an eye opener. :D

Good news, for sure. It's been so warm that unless we get some REAL cold weather for an extended period of time, should be an early and long season at Rampart. I'm hoping for some new trails opening.

Might have to try and do Breck and Rampart in the same day. :idea:

No.

Impaired
March 14th, 2016, 03:38 PM
No pics. very ride-able though, but just be ready to hit rutted snow hills with little to no traction, take very weird lines, and take it easy on the sections in the trees next to the drop offs when on a sheet if ice... you could also ride on top of the snow sections in some areas if you were gentle on the throttle. it was definitely fun day because none of us got hurt.

Trails were not crowded by rampart standards, but the parking lot was almost completely full of trucks and trailers.

ZJROCKRIG
March 14th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Subscribed. I miss my Suzuki DRZ 400. Sold in favor of a KTM but never picked one up. Last ride I did was a nice loop trail in Monte Vista that was supposedly an old enduro course back in the day.

Now I ride a Harley... LOL! But the KTM is still a future goal!

Impaired
June 4th, 2016, 08:09 AM
What are people using/liking in Colorado terrain for tires. Bridgestone stopped making the M404 so I am having to try something different.

Looking at the Maxxis Maxcross IN and Maxcross desert IN

Ride mostly in Colorado & Utah

Any other suggestions of tires and what PSI with them?

Colo.TJ
June 4th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Looking for new tires myself. Looking at the Motoz Mountain Hybrid but not sure if I want that much traction. I do like the knobby w/ the 2 stroke. I did order the TUBLiss kit for the rear for when I decide on a tire. The Motoz has to be run at very low PSI for it to work well off road. The TUBliss allows you to run as low as 0 psi.

Heading out shortly for Rampart.

Impaired
June 4th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a nice tire and people seem to like the trials tires on the trails, but I am bit throttle happy and probably not the best fit. Maybe in about 10 years.

Hope you had a good day. Trying to get out tomorrow. It was a maintenance day after 200 miles of riding last weekend.

in4aride
June 5th, 2016, 04:05 PM
In the rear I really like my Pirelli mt43. They did great on the road but gave some great bite on the trails. In a lot of river Rock type terrain and they didn't chunk at all. Was really please in the balance. Just ran a basic knobby front.

Colo.TJ
June 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Ended up w/ a sedona tire mx907hp and TUBliss. Installed it today. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/0000-Sedona-MX907HP-Hard-Pack-Rear-Tire.jpg

http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/tubliss/images/tubliss.jpg

Impaired
June 13th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Good luck and keep us updated on it. Heard traction was insane with the tubliss set up and that tread pattern looks like a good blend.

I just mounted a set of Maxxis Maxcross Int on one bike and perrelli mt16 garacross's on the other bike this weekend after last Sunday's adventure.

New rubber is always nice.

in4aride
June 20th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Any of y'all familiar with the ktm's, namely the 450+ flavor.
Looking at getting back into the dual sport/enduro riding. Been eyeing their 450/500/525 bikes (06/07+). Obviously ktm has a name for being pricey. But as usual you get what you pay for. What's actual feel of them for y'all that have owned them a bit. I've done short street ride demos, but that doesn't tell ya everything.
(6'2"-190ish)

in4aride
June 20th, 2016, 05:05 PM
Should be more specific.
Looking at the xcw style. My other major contender is the wr450, but new/newer.
Would like to be around or under 7k total.

Colo.TJ
June 20th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Good luck and keep us updated on it.

Mounted both the Tubliss and tire last week. Tried it out a bit. Initially I was running about 7-8 psi. That's way too much for this tire. At least when new. I dropped some psi and it was much better. I'm guessing it's around 4-5 psi. I didn't use a gauge, it was a quick trail fix and it worked. Didn't think about it again until I opened this thread.

Colo.TJ
June 20th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Should be more specific.
Looking at the xcw style. My other major contender is the wr450, but new/newer.
Would like to be around or under 7k total.

If you really want a dual sport than I think this is the only way to go. More than you want to spend but...

It's street legal from KTM but it's really just DOT parts put on the offroad only version. You'll likely want to change the tires but I'm not sure. Secondly, that new 350 motor is supposed to be crazy powerful. You could get the offroad only version and plate it yourself.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/350-exc-f-1/

in4aride
June 20th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I was looking at that price range for used bikes.
Obviously new I'd open it up to more.

in4aride
June 21st, 2016, 05:45 AM
I'm figuring on changing tires anyway. Really considering two sets of wheels/tires depending on the riding.
I was looking at the 350, but really for as much as its opened up I think the larger size would work better. I like being able to hop on and run whatever road to get where I need without much concern. Just not confident in the 350 doing that geared up. But I haven't ridden any of them to know how they are at speed.

Impaired
June 21st, 2016, 10:35 PM
I have a 350sxf converted to street legal with 52 tooth rear sprocket and 13 front sprocket for my son and a 450xcw with Efi tuner for myself. We switch it up quite a bit riding each other's bikes. The 450 definitely has more power to keep the front wheel off the ground in several gears. Weight is noticeable between the two as the 350 feels super nimble and very comfortable but the 450 power more than makes up for it. Both top out around 82mph on the dirt comfortably.

I had a Honda 250x and 450x prior to getting the fuel injected kTM. Better all around and noticeable power difference just between 450's by brand. Can't see myself going back. Oil and parts are expensive but just part of riding ktm's and enjoying the sport.

Actually looking to pick up a 500 xc-w, give my 450xc-w to the boy and sell the 350 in the coming months. The 300 2-stroke looks fun too.

in4aride
June 22nd, 2016, 08:10 AM
Yeah I'm not too worried about being super nimble since I don't do very tech riding. And with more and more trips to Vegas area, something to handle the wide open stretches would be nice.

I'm not worried about higher maintenance. Pay to play type deal. Just curious, as I've never owned one, if the ktm were worth the hype.

Thanks.

Colo.TJ
June 22nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
The 300 2-stroke looks fun too.

It is. :pbj: Not sure how the power stacks up but I would imagine it's close to a 450 4t. It has a ton of grunt. It's difficult to stall.

I have to emphasize the NEW KTM 350 4t. It's supposed to be a POWER house. Like, competes w/ 450s.

Sprnklrmn
July 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I rode an older KLX 300 for about 5 years before selling it this spring and moving to a 2011 KTM 300XC; It is a super fun bike to ride and way more capable than I as a rider am :D Lot of power, very quick and fast, but still with a lot of low end grunt for tractoring up hills after I screw up the climb. One of the toughest things for me to get used to on it is downhills; I rode Bill Moore Lake Saturday and had two get-offs coming down loose rocky sections. No engine braking and a Rekluse clutch is making for a steep learning curve, but it's all good. Love the Rekluse in every other situation.

I took a short test ride on a friends 2015 350 SXF out at Rampart last fall and it was scary torquey/quick. Would take some getting used to for sure; the front end wanted to come up all the time.

Wouldn't mind doing some single track if anyone out there wants to ride. I find myself doing mainly jeep trails, because I know them and I don't worry about meeting other users head on; I have ridden Rampart a half dozen times and always with some trepidation coming around blind corners and up hills. Same thing with Divide 717, although usually less traffic there. My riding buddy/son is leaving for college this fall though and going alone is usually not a good idea. Mostly available on weekends to ride.

Almost headed up to Rand on Saturday, but never been there and alone didn't sound like a good combo, plus it would have been a daytrip. Looking to pick up a pop-up or something to possibly do some camping/riding trips.

Colo.TJ
July 4th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Did Rampart today. Had a couple of getoffs myself. ;)

Rand is awesome. it's a long day trip.

I almost exclusively ride alone. First by circumstance, now by choice. I like it much better.