PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a decent IFAK?

DaneH
December 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM
It's the end of the year again and I have a little extra FSA fundage to burn. I'm thinking a decent IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) to put with my Zombie apocalypse supplies would be nice, but I'm having a hard time weeding through all the crap ones. Does anyone know where to find a good/real one? I'm not overly knowledgeable on the topic yet, but am looking to increase my knowledge in the next year.

Thanks!

newracer
December 17th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Look for a first responders kit.

DaneH
December 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Look for a first responders kit.

I already have a big comprehensive STOMP kit that has everything I could think of, but it's an entire backpack.

newracer
December 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Years ago I bought a kit that was advertised as a "backpacker" first aid kit. It has served well. I think I got it from REI.

Or just buy a pouch and build your own.

DaneH
December 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Years ago I bought a kit that was advertised as a "backpacker" first aid kit. It has served well. I think I got it from REI.

Or just buy a pouch and build your own.

Well, couple things. I have a bunch of REI kits already - one for each backpack, and one for each vehicle. I have a couple better ones in my Jeep. And some really good ones for the house.

The problem with building my own is I can't use the FSA for all of it. I could use it for the supplies, but not the container. That's why I'm interested in purchasing a decent pre-built kit - it's basically free at this point. I can also add to it. If don't don't use the money, I lose it.

starbreaker666
December 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I think we've all bought all the cheap ass kits out there.... I have found it's better to study/study what you have used/study what actually comes in these kits and then build your own. That what I do for my backpack and day hike pack anyways. You can "what if" your self to death and end up with tackle boxes full of shit you'll never need or use.

starbreaker666
December 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Oh and don't buy the stuff to just let it sit. Learn to how to use the stuff.

cheftyler
December 19th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I think we've all bought all the cheap ass kits out there.... I have found it's better to study/study what you have used/study what actually comes in these kits and then build your own. That what I do for my backpack and day hike pack anyways. You can "what if" your self to death and end up with tackle boxes full of shit you'll never need or use.

Well, couple things. I have a bunch of REI kits already - one for each backpack, and one for each vehicle. I have a couple better ones in my Jeep. And some really good ones for the house.

The problem with building my own is I can't use the FSA for all of it. I could use it for the supplies, but not the container. That's why I'm interested in purchasing a decent pre-built kit - it's basically free at this point. I can also add to it. If don't don't use the money, I lose it.

DaneH
December 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thank you Chef!!

Here's the one I'm looking at (with the upgraded tourniquet). A military buddy steered me this way:
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-tactical-epik-ifak-black.html

Would I drop $100 on it if it was coming straight out of my pocket? Debatable, but as is, snagging two of these guys is pretty much free and they seem to have the vital stuff.

starbreaker666
December 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Uh, Chef you forgot the first order of the internet... Never read the internet. Just open the thread and start posting. Doesn't matter if it really pertains to the OP's thread or not. Sheeeeeesh. Newb.

starbreaker666
December 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Uh, Chef you forgot the first order of the internet... Never read the internet. Just open the thread and start posting. Doesn't matter if it really pertains to the OP's thread or not. Sheeeeeesh. Newb.

cheftyler
December 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Damnit! I can't believe I forgot!

crashXJ
December 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Thank you Chef!!

Here's the one I'm looking at (with the upgraded tourniquet). A military buddy steered me this way:
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-tactical-epik-ifak-black.html

Would I drop $100 on it if it was coming straight out of my pocket? Debatable, but as is, snagging two of these guys is pretty much free and they seem to have the vital stuff.

Seen those on CTD, seems like a decent kit and gives you enough room to throw in additional items you may need.

Yota
January 3rd, 2014, 01:01 AM
Galls

CYAN5DE
January 5th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Two thoughts.

One - Read up on Hemo-bandages. we have basically stopped carrying them, because there are more time you shouldn't use one than should. Make sure you know what you are doing with those.

Get a needle or two in there, in case of tension pneumo-thorax. then figure out how to actually do chest needle-decompression.

get some strong antibiotics, if you need some of those serious bandages, and are far from medical help, you just take them immediately. Also, if you have a way, squirrel away some morphine, valium, phentanyl, something like that for immediate pain suppression. Ketamine even as a dissociative can be helpful.

SolarBell
January 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I'm interested in that since I'm building some new kits. I did some quick googling, but found nothing negative or for counter indications. Any keywords I should search for?

CYAN5DE
January 6th, 2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.med.wright.edu/em/res/journal/archive/2011-2012/september2011synopsis.pdf

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2012/03/15/the-case-against-quikclot/

Basically, there are a few issues. Depending on placement, and type of bandage. Some have possible seafood allergen issues, some create a decent amount of heat and can cause tissue damage, some require significant professional debridement after placement, and sometimes they don't even perform better than properly placed gauze and pressure.

Mostly I believe the heat issue has been resolved, as well as the use of quik-clot that was basically a packet of sand. Make sure you do not get that, get the stuff encased in a bandage.

They do have some places where using them is smart, but for a while in the Army, it was like the go to thing. got a serious bleeder, quik-clot in it. Not always a great call. I am not trying to sway you against there use, just to know the right time and place to use one.

starbreaker666
January 7th, 2014, 09:29 AM
A little off topic, but after talking to a couple military buddies I still have it was discussed that one of the best items they carried in their first aid kits for when they cut themselves or got a pretty scrape was a women's maxi pad... Makes sense really. What are the things designed for? Yea, it's kinda odd to carry one in a kit, but cut your leg on a trail or what have you you can tape one around your calf or what ever.. Of course they are for minor'ish wounds that are real deep and not sever puncture wounds.

DaneH
January 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
For the severe puncture wounds you use a tampon. :silly:

starbreaker666
January 7th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Yup, that too. I just wanted to point out the other options.. I was looked at really funny last summer when I was looking for something in my day pack when my friend saw my aid kit and saw two ultra lightweight and easily packable pads..lol Until I explained it that is and he just sat there and was like..."huh, you're right".