PDA

View Full Version : Bought new skis - good deal and good for me?

74BuckinBronc
December 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
I bought some skis at a Black Friday sale. I need new skis, but I could probably make my old ones last another year and return these if they are not right. I'm on the novice side of advanced, or on the advanced side of intermediate. I need an all mountain ski as I like to get into the powder some, but find myself on the fast groomers as well. Not a mogul person tho. I like to take some smaller jumps here and there as well.

The skis I bought are K2's AMP 76ti. They came with matching Marker bindings. I paid just shy of $500.
http://k2skis.com/skis/mens/amp-76ti

any input appreciated!

JeepWheelin02
December 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
I think those will be just fine as long as you don't plan on any backwards skiing.

On a different note, have you seen K2s boots? I just picked up the K2 Spyne 110s. And so far they are awesome. Very comfortable (after fitting), stable, and great overall feel.

ColoradoXJ
December 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
That's a decent ski.

The early rise/rocker on the forward part of the ski will affect how it engages a carved turn (shorter effective length), but unless you're looking to rip through gates, shouldn't be an issue. As JW02 said... not a switch skiing ski. Don't try and land any jumps backwards. :P

74BuckinBronc
December 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM
Don't try and land any jumps backwards. :P
Yeah, that won't be a problem for me unless it's purely by accident.

JW - nope, they have very little selection of boots on base here. I am going to try to make my old boot last one more year and then see if I can find a good deal on end-of-season stuff. Trouble is, with my busted axle, and cracked tibia that healed with a lump, it may be hard to find something comfortable. But comfort is certainly not something I am used to...

JeepWheelin02
December 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM
You should seriously look at the K2 boots when you get a chance then. They took all the best parts of everyone else boots and made a great boot, IMO. Everything is replaceable, nothing is riveted on, instead its all bolted. And they are using intuition liners. So once you heat them up and form them to your feet, they are super comfy.

71CJ5
December 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
That ski will be fine on the groomers, but I think you will find yourself wanting something fatter underfoot when in the powder. 76 mm waist is pretty narrow these days, if I was in your shoes I'd be looking for a ski closer to 90 mm underfoot.

bsaunder
December 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I skied the pow with a 67-77mm underfoot ski for decades. A 90+ is fun for pow, but I'm really not liking them for an all purpose ski. For a single quiver type ski, unless you hit deep pow regularly, I think the 76mm is near ideal.

bsaunder
December 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that won't be a problem for me unless it's purely by accident.

JW - nope, they have very little selection of boots on base here. I am going to try to make my old boot last one more year and then see if I can find a good deal on end-of-season stuff. Trouble is, with my busted axle, and cracked tibia that healed with a lump, it may be hard to find something comfortable. But comfort is certainly not something I am used to...

Custom boot liners and fit will make a huge difference for ya. Even some that are oven moldable work pretty well.

74BuckinBronc
December 30th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Custom boot liners and fit will make a huge difference for ya. Even some that are oven moldable work pretty well.

I put in molded foot beds a couple years ago and that made a difference. But I think with my lumps and bumps, I am going to have to go fully custom boots at some point. Maybe next spring. I hear there is a huge outdoor sports store about an hour from here that does this and maybe I can get an end-of-season deal??

bsaunder
December 30th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I put in molded foot beds a couple years ago and that made a difference. But I think with my lumps and bumps, I am going to have to go fully custom boots at some point. Maybe next spring. I hear there is a huge outdoor sports store about an hour from here that does this and maybe I can get an end-of-season deal??

Always possible. I have a several year old boot (nordica beast) with an outlast moldable liner in them and having that professionally molded to my foot/lower leg made a world of difference. I too have many lumps in my shins due to micro fractures from soccer. Combine that with a semi small ankle and large calfs and nothing fits right and is usually painful. After molding the liners, I have no play in my boots, and I don't have to unbuckle in the lift line anymore or take them off at lunch; I had grown to just accept that my boots were going to be forever painful.

74BuckinBronc
December 30th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I had grown to just accept that my boots were going to be forever painful. Yes, I am trying to overcome this..., but without spending mucho dinero!

Yota
January 2nd, 2014, 11:59 PM
You can ski backwards in those. I have straight tail skis that I ski backwards in, although not backwards tricks or anything. I skied damn near the whole of last season backwards in front of my kids. :D

They look like pretty good skis to me and sub-500 is a great price.

74BuckinBronc
January 3rd, 2014, 02:57 AM
the tail on these is nearly identical to my old ones, so I know what to expect there. I'm not a half-pipe trickster anyway...

74BuckinBronc
January 22nd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Got to ride my new skis in the French Alps over the weekend and I love them! They carved well, ate up the powder better than my skills allow and kept up with me on the fast groomers! Can't wait for a few more runs!

bsaunder
January 22nd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Nice! And I'm jealous about the area you skied :D

74BuckinBronc
January 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
:-) I shouldn't tell you that we just booked a place in Interlocken Switzerland for V-day weekend. :thumbsup:

cheftyler
January 22nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
:-) I shouldn't tell you that we just booked a place in Interlocken Switzerland for V-day weekend. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NsQYlmvZM

:flipoff2:

74BuckinBronc
January 22nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NsQYlmvZM

:flipoff2:

Hey! I'll send pics!

cheftyler
January 22nd, 2014, 01:05 PM
Hey! I'll send pics!

Fawk you :flipoff2:

JK, sorta...enjoy it!

74BuckinBronc
January 23rd, 2014, 01:49 AM
French Alps:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/jesus_man01/14-01-20%20Chamonix/DSC00822_zps175cd4f3.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/jesus_man01/media/14-01-20%20Chamonix/DSC00822_zps175cd4f3.jpg.html)

Proud of my 3yr old son!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/jesus_man01/14-01-20%20Chamonix/th_M4H00797_zps16f1ff41.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/jesus_man01/14-01-20%20Chamonix/M4H00797_zps16f1ff41.mp4)

JeepWheelin02
January 23rd, 2014, 09:26 AM
Awesome!!!! I have to live through you right now. I got up twice this season before I found out that I have extensive cartilage damage in my right knee. Having surgery on Feb 11th. Post more pics when you get to the land of swiss cheese.

74BuckinBronc
January 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Awesome!!!! I have to live through you right now. I got up twice this season before I found out that I have extensive cartilage damage in my right knee. Having surgery on Feb 11th. Post more pics when you get to the land of swiss cheese.

Sorry to hear about the knee! I'll post some more pics. But I'm going for the chocolate!

cheftyler
January 23rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
What a view...