PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a new tent...

Grant H.
September 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
My wife is wanting a new tent for camping (essentially car camping).

We are well equipped for backpacking, just not a big, comfortable tent for car camping.

Thanks.

LuckyNickelTJ
September 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I've been looking at Oz/jet tents for a pure camping/over landing type of tent, they are a little pricey though. I have also looked at Marmot's 4+ person tents for something a little more spacious.

HokieBrett
September 6th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Sierra Traders has good 4 man and 6 man camping tents. I just bought a MountainSmith Equinox from them (google search gave me an additional 30-35%off). The tent is plenty roomy for me, fiancÚ and dog. We bought a 4 man "backpacking" tent as space is tight camping out of the TJ.

If you have more room, they have some nice car camping tents that have a 6' height... Would be awesome to be able to stand up inside the tent.

bsaunder
September 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Big Agnes makes some nice larger tents and they are a CO company.

POLLY
September 9th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Kelty is getting all sorts of creative with car tents. My brother just bought this one with add-ons such as; a rear vestibule, cup holders, pop-out ceiling vents and more...
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28017#

This is my Kelty tent and I wouldn't trade it for anything...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-green-river-4-tent-4-personand-3-season~p~88431/

What ever you do, insure rain fly goes to the ground. Nothing more worse than a design than of a half ass rain fly!

Jefe
September 9th, 2013, 11:52 PM
How often do you plan on using it? How big do you want it?
If it only gets used once or twice a year, I would go with one from walmart. It will serve it's purpose for 1-2 seasons. If you plan on camping quite a bit, spend the money on a Kelty! I have a Ozark Trail 8 person tent from Walmart that I picked up for $75. It got used maybe 2 times a year, and now is dedicated to backyard camping with the little ones. Never had any issues with leaking, or seperating of material. I have a nice 4 man Kelty that gets used alot more, and definitely is higher quality. If money isnt an issue, go with the Kelty or something similar.

DaneH
September 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I have the Ozark Trail 8 person instant-tent from Wally World. It has made camping great - now my wife wants to go all the time just due to how simple and large this tent is. It sets up really fast - like ridiculously fast, and I can easily stand up in it (I'm 6'3"). I'm not a big Wally World fan, but this tent has been great through many camping trips. It's a bit on the heavier/larger side, but I'm fine with that for car camping. There's a six person flavor too, but it's not as tall, so I opted for the eight person. After seeing mine in action, a few of my friends are getting them too.

Grant H.
September 13th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys.

We are probably looking at using it less than 10x/yr.

The Ozark Trail one sounds like a winner because my wife and I would both like to be able to stand straight up in it.

I was thinking a true wall tent at first, but I would rather not go that route just yet. I would use it as base camp during hunting, but that assumes I get the old farts that I hunt with to camp with me.

Avenger
September 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Pick up some seam sealer for $5.

Wall tents are great, but depending on the frame can be a lot of work to set up for just a weekend. I would definitely go with something like the Kelty or Ozark.