PDA

View Full Version : Camping/campgrounds around Creede, Leadville etc

ZJROCKRIG
June 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM
We are planning on doing our annual 9 day camping trip in July AFTER the 4th, and we usually go to Haviland Lake campground north of Durango, but this year it's already booked pretty much all of July. So looking for some insight for maybe some places similar.;)

We have a truck camper thats set up well and don't really need hookups. Looking for a place similar to the Durango area and offers a small lake for our canoe, some trails nearby (we will have the JK), hiking etc.

We don't recluse when we go and like to play tourist in historic towns, so that's why the reference to Creede or Leadville.

Looked at the Big Meadows CG near South Fork, but it's closed due to the fire on Wolf Creek.:(

Anyway, any suggestions for a new place are welcome!

Trango
June 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
What about that campground just east of Turquoise Lake? Head out of Leadville west, and right before the dam on Turquoise, take a right.

longboy
June 20th, 2013, 02:58 PM
We camped at Baby Doe campground last summer on Turquoise Lake, it was awesome for a forest service campground. We tent camp, so I have no idea what they do for hookups but there were definitely a good number of RVs there.

I'm trying to think of other places we've camped recently with a small lake...will post again if I think of something.

Turquoise Lake:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/523950_4347952380558_797640055_n.jpg

ZJROCKRIG
June 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think I reviewed one called Surgarloafin'? Sound familiar? Was around 37 a night IIRC. Just a little expensive for 9 days. But still an option.

kemosabee
June 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM
FYI - The West Fork fire has spotted across the Continental Divide onto the Rio Grande National Forest in the area to the west of Big Meadows Campground. An initial attack crew from the Rio Grande Forest is headed out to the spot fire.

As a precaution, the Forest is closing the Big Meadows Campground and also the Tucker Ponds Campground. In addition, Forest Roads 410 (road into Big Meadows) and 430 (Road from Big Meadows to Hunters Lake) have been closed.

What about Platoro res?

zkeys
June 20th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Look at Redstone campground in, well, Redstone.

Fish the Crystal right from the campground. Beaver Lake near Marble for the canoe. Not as cool as Haviland though, and the fishing is not as good.

Run Lead King Basin, Crystal City, or Schofield/Devil's Punchbowl. Taylor Pass and Pearl Pass are an hour away. Better yet, make a combo out of Schofield and Pearl.

Glenwood Springs Pool is 40 minutes away. Avalanche Ranch has a little hot springs as well 5 miles from Redstone.

Redstone, Marble, Glenwood for touristy stuff. Aspen if you want to live it up.

Good BBQ place in Marble. Redstone Inn is good. Great food and adult beverages at Glenwood Brewpub.

Enjoy!