PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a drift car? ADDED VIDEO & REVIEW

Ghettojeep
June 15th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Taking a break on stuff that flys.... haha

I was really into 1/10 scale electric about 20 yrs ago. raced for a long time growing up. mostly indoor offroad electric trucks, and then street racing around the neighbor hood.

I picked up a 1/10 scale HPI sprint drift 2 for $125 basically new off C/L.

Its 4wd belt driven. 15 turn brushed motor and a 6 cell nimh 2000 mah battery. Cool little thing is the rx and speed control are waterproof. This one came RTR. I am quite pleased with the quality. My brother had an Hpi pan car back in the day so I know the brand, some HPIs are better then others, this one gets good reviews.

I chose this over the tamiyas due mainly b/c of price. I think its a better car for the $. I'm Not trying to drop 5 bills on one of these...

It has full ball bearings, and I'd say it's almost pro hobby grade. Everything's adjustable, well made, and there are many upgrades out there. You can go full carbon fiber chassis, aluminum suspension, steering upgrades, shocks etc.

It's also available brushless, in the drift 2 flux model. I passed on an ebay auction for a brushless set up conversion for about $60. I'm not planning on dumping money into it, I'd like to pick up a offroad truck here soon.

I'm using an imaxx b5 from hobby city that I had laying around from my planes, so I'm set for charging. I would like to grab a high cap battery, there are 4000-5000 mah nimhs out there. On 2000 mahs I get 10-15 minutes of run time depending on how heavy I am on the throttle.

Ive been running it on a nice smooth concrete basketball court, the sprinklers gives it small puddle in one corner so the waterproof stuff is cool. My buddy is looking to pick one up, would be really fun with two!

I set up some solo cups for a track and the the court is new. Someone sweeps the basketball court occasionally b/c theres a broom out there. So it's a really nice surface. The car needs a smooth surface, little pebbles and rough asphalt are pretty rough on the car so I don't run it in the street. Car runs really well, smooth, controllable drifts, and it hauls pretty good ass too.

Car is currently wearing a camaro body, might change it to a subi to look like my fullsize sti :)

Ghettojeep
June 21st, 2013, 01:15 AM
deleted, linky no worky, video further down.

ColoradoSkier
June 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152373761464386&set=vb.621699385&type=2&theater

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Ghettojeep
June 23rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
Let me try this again... Drifting my HPI Sprint 2 Drift on track I made with cups on a smooth basketball court near my house. Did not have to prep the surface, it's pretty new and theres a broom out there so I guess someone sweeps it.

Drift City! :smokin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Z4nvOVrTQ&feature=player_detailpage

K2
June 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM
That was way better than I thought they would be. That was quite controlled. Nice.

Ghettojeep
June 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks man, yeah they are quite controllable, except for the end there.... came in a little hot....

1BGDOG
July 6th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I am on an Axial Wraith kick right now.... So much fun!
why don't you run Lipo? Nimh so slow short power.

Ric
July 6th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Ive thought about getting something like that, but Im also having fun with my wraith.

Ghettojeep
July 9th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Running nimh cuz it came rtr w one... I only have some 3s plane battries but they arent hardcase, n im not sure the esc n motor could handle 3s. still havin fun w it tho.

steveo

1BGDOG
July 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Gotcha!

Running nimh cuz it came rtr w one... I only have some 3s plane battries but they arent hardcase, n im not sure the esc n motor could handle 3s. still havin fun w it tho.

steveo