PDA

View Full Version : Burnt up my Servo Exceed Maxstone 1/16

74BuckinBronc
October 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yep, let the smoke out today. I was playing with some of the dials on my remote and I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but what should I do from here? I wouldn't mind upgrading if there were little or no mods required. Any help appreciated!

J.D.

newracer
October 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
You will need to find one of similar size, same mounting tabs, and same spline count on the output shaft to make the replacement the easiest. Upgrading is usually not that difficult.

74BuckinBronc
October 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Any suggestions on specific servo's? What info is important that I need to match?

newracer
October 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I have always run Hitec servos. If you want the easiest swap you need check the spline count. It will be 23, 24, or 25. Then you can buy a brand that matches. Other wise you will need to replace the servo saver.

This is a crawler right? Look for a high torque model with metal gears.

1BADKJ
October 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
If it's a standard size servo the Hitech HS-7980TH is a monster.Over 500oz-in of torque at 6v and titanium gears and priced good for that much power.I use one for my brakes on my 1/5 scale Baja 5SC.

74BuckinBronc
October 26th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I have always run Hitec servos. If you want the easiest swap you need check the spline count. It will be 23, 24, or 25. Then you can buy a brand that matches. Other wise you will need to replace the servo saver.

This is a crawler right? Look for a high torque model with metal gears.

Thanks! Will start counting. It's the Exceed Maxstone 1/16th crawler. What about mounting. Are they all the same for a given size of servo? I literally have a set of drill bits, a drill, some screw drivers and a socket set for tools. Wait, a wood saw. So making a new servo plate is out of the question. And, from what I see online, I do not have a servo saver. It's a solid link like a pitman arm.

If it's a standard size servo the Hitech HS-7980TH is a monster.Over 500oz-in of torque at 6v and titanium gears and priced good for that much power.I use one for my brakes on my 1/5 scale Baja 5SC.

Yikes, $135, am I seeing that right? That's more than I spent on the whole truck. Gotta get something cheaper. $50 is probably my max.

I was doing some more reading, and looks like I may have forced the servo to try to turn further than the steering geometry would allow, leading to burning it up?? So maybe I need to dial that back down a little?? Not certain that's my problem, but stands to reason.

newracer
October 26th, 2012, 09:41 AM
If you set the end points further than the steering can physically go it will quickly burn up the servo. If you get one that is similar size there should be enough adjustment in the mounting to make it work.

Since you just have a direct connection that link can be replaced easily with one to fit your new servo. Aluminum ones are nice.

Here is a chart for Hitec servos.
http://www.hitecrc.de/store/servo_chart.html

zkeys
November 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Yep, let the smoke out today. I was playing with some of the dials on my remote and I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but what should I do from here? I wouldn't mind upgrading if there were little or no mods required. Any help appreciated!

J.D.

Hey JD,

I have heard good things about the Solar Servos at http://www.nitrorcx.com/digitalservo.html About all you would need to do is match the size of the old servo with the sizes listed for each of the new servos. Obviously look for a metal gear model, and for $10-$15 it is hard to go wrong.

Unless they have changed recently, it does look like the arm that goes from the servo to the the steering arm is a servo saver. It can be found on the spare parts page for your model. http://www.nitrorcx.com/1maxstrocr1.html I know you bought yours a while ago, so it may have changed.

I have always found it not very cost effective to be very expensive servos unless you are racing or doing rock crawling competitions. Lots of the high end after market servos require a BEC (thing that regulates voltage from the ESC) in order to function properly.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Zack

74BuckinBronc
November 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM
I replied to a video on youtube about the crawler and that guy said to look at the Solar D658. Says it was a direct replacement, but then Nitrorcx says it's too big. So I keep getting conflicting info. I need to research, but I found a hitech that would fit. It was $30. I'll see if I can find dimensions for the Solar, maybe on their website and confirm for myself. Anyone know where to find that info?

The latest pics do show a servo saver on it, but mine does not have one. Just a solid plastic "pitman" arm.

Thanks!

J.D.

74BuckinBronc
November 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Success! Ordered the solar d658 and it arrived this week. Installed today it the crawler is back in business! Thanks for all the help.

J.D.

P.S. what steering arm should I use? I put the round one on. Seems the strongest.

zkeys
November 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool man! Not sure on the steering arm.