PDA

View Full Version : Tracked ATVs on snowmobile, over snow trails in CO

Mobcore911
February 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I've googled quite a bit but haven't found anything CO specific...Anyone know where I can get a firm answer on me having access to winter trails on my ATV with Tatou tracks? In general the surface pressure of this setup is less than most sleds. TIA

Bauer
February 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
It is no "wheeled vehicles" I see tracked 4 wheelers all the time. And apparently, you are unable to hear snowmobiles behind you. Get a mirror. :thumbsup: Oh and don't let that surface pressure thing fool you. If you get off the hard pack you will get stuck. Very very stuck. :)

Psychoneurosis
February 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
FS does not have a consistent standard for regulations of quads with tracks in CO. You need to call the ranger district you intend to use it in and them and ask them. Make sure you get a name of the person that gives you the opinion

The issue is that FS says over the snow vehicle has skis and obviously the quad does not. Some ranger districts are more able to understand the issues and allow the quad on tracks than others are

Not the best answer but it is the current status

Ranger4sale
February 16th, 2012, 10:33 PM
As long as you aren't doing dounuts, tearing up the trails / area off trail or riding down the middle or wrong side of the trail (AKA ride smart) you should not have a problem. I have seen private snowcats tracked ATV's and near Crested Butte and North Steamboat, trucks on tracks.

ColoradoXJ
February 16th, 2012, 11:58 PM
FS does not have a consistent standard for regulations of quads with tracks in CO. You need to call the ranger district you intend to use it in and them and ask them. Make sure you get a name of the person that gives you the opinion

The issue is that FS says over the snow vehicle has skis and obviously the quad does not. Some ranger districts are more able to understand the issues and allow the quad on tracks than others are

Not the best answer but it is the current status

This.

I've talked to Ranger Districts who say that ATVs (no matter whether tracked or not) are still restricted to designated routes, which would also include seasonal restrictions. As he said above, i've met others who are more lenient.

I will second the "talk to the RD and get a name and number".

Mobcore911
February 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM
It is no "wheeled vehicles" I see tracked 4 wheelers all the time. And apparently, you are unable to hear snowmobiles behind you. Get a mirror. :thumbsup: Oh and don't let that surface pressure thing fool you. If you get off the hard pack you will get stuck. Very very stuck. :)

We will see, the only time I've had it out so far(private property around Elizabeth after that last big snow), I tried and tried to get stuck, big drifts, plow burms, etc didn't happen :) but like anything else, there are endless different types of snow:thumbsup:

Bauer
February 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
We will see, the only time I've had it out so far(private property around Elizabeth after that last big snow), I tried and tried to get stuck, big drifts, plow burms, etc didn't happen :) but like anything else, there are endless different types of snow:thumbsup:

Ya, I guess I should have said snow with a base instead of hardpack. They get along pretty well, I did spend the better half of an hour helping get one unstuck once. He found a "soft spot" :) His GF was cold and pissed :spit:

Mobcore911
February 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you remember the type of ATV?

Bauer
February 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
It was a big ol Yamaha. Not sure exactly what size or model, it was pretty well covered in snow. There was certainly no picking it up or moving it much, we just ended up stomping a path for it to get back on top.