PDA

View Full Version : Rzr balljoint issues

GotMOAB?
January 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Alright here the deal. I bought a 2008 Rzr a few months back. It had a 5" long travel kit on it when I bought it, so it's basically the same thing as a Rzr S. So the very first time I took it out I popped the upper driver balljoint out of its socket (basically the snap ring popped off allowing the joint to come out of the arm. Got it fixed on the trail and it happens again to the lower passenger balljoint. Same thing the snap ring got pulled through the arm. So I was a bit pissed off that I just bought a Rzr and it started falling apart less than an hour o me driving it. Well I hate fixing junk on the trail so I bought new ball joints and snap rings and put 4 small tack welds on the balljoint tacking them to the Aarm. I havent had an issue with it since then.... Until yesterday. Took my Rzr out to Bijous in fort Morgan and met about 10 other Rzrs (mostly all XP). I was doing all I could to keep up with them in the woops and then my steering started getting sloppy so I headed back to the truck only to discover that the upper driver joint had not only popped my tack welds but pulled the damn snap ring threw the A-arm. Has anyone else had issues with the ball joints coming loose from the Aarm? I don't think I'm driving the Rzr any harder than I've seen xps or even regular Rzrs driven? I really hate the idea of spending $180 on ball joints for the Rzr for them to come loose from the A-arm and get destroyed... Any thoughts of a better fix other than tacking them again?:shrug::confused:

zillacon
January 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
No problems here as of yet. What brand are the A-arms? Are they adding stress by not being designed properly for the application? Basically the same way if you bought a cheap lift for a Jeep?

Do some searching on here.
http://www.rzrforums.net/

Impaired
January 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
No problems here as of yet. What brand are the A-arms? Are they adding stress by not being designed properly for the application? Basically the same way if you bought a cheap lift for a Jeep?

Do some searching on here.
http://www.rzrforums.net/

My 1st thought too was improper design or previous installation problem that cause permanent damage. Did you use the same part # as what was installed to order the new ball joints? Double check with manufacture of a arm.

I drive my S hard and have come down the front corners with no failures yet. Stock Ball joints seem to be taking the abuse.