View Full Version : Good beginners rides?

Jeff Mason
September 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
As part of my impending mid-life crisis, I bought a Kawasaki Versys for my 50th birthday last week. :thumbsup:

I've had a motorcycle endorsement since I was 17, but riding has been limited to small amounts of enduro/trail rides, with a few rides on a Ninja over the last few years...

I've ridden Mt. Evans already, and did a nice 'Lower Deer Creek - High Grade Road to Conifer' ride last night. I'm looking for other good 1 -3 hour rides that will allow me to get more comfortable with the bike, and sharpen my riding skills before cold weather sets in (and subject to work travel).

So, what ideas do you have for rides in the metro area (SW Denver is best)?

September 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Any or all of the peak to peak highway. Deer creek canyon?

Jeff Mason
September 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Did Deer Creek Canyon to 285 on Sunday Night. Found out that three bucks in the roadway look a lot when you come around the corner on a bike as opposed to in a car. :)

Also found out that it's getting kinda late in the year to ride at night with a mesh jacket.

Might try to do part of peak to peak this upcoming weekend, if time permits.

Jeff Mason
September 11th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I've got 750 miles on the bike now. Last week I rode to some furniture stores to look for furniture, then ended up near Golden so I rode up Lookout Mountain.

Took a trip this morning to Estes Park (via Golden Gate Canyon), then into Rocky Mountain National Park and up Fall River Road to the top, back home via Granby, Winter Park and I70.

This was another great ride. Found out that tensing up on the hairpin curves on Fall River Road doesn't help go me around corners (no big issues, but got close to the inside road edge once or twice - need to work on low speed dirt turns some, I guess). Also figured out that big sweeping LEFT hand turns (like on the west side of Berthoud Pass), seem to give me some troubles for some reason. Again, no problems, but a couple of the corners definitely did not feel right. And that was going around them at a speed that was darn close to the posted advisory speed.

Guess I'll keep taking short rides and practicing when I have time. Bike needs to go to the shop for the initial oil change and I have a long 13-day business trip coming up soon (24,000 miles of flights, ugh), so I may not get much more seat time before October...

October 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a fun ride. How do you like that bike? I've been pondering getting something like that, or a vstrom. But I'd like to with kawai if possible.

Jeff Mason
October 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I like the bike a lot. It really performs well in the twisties, I am much more comfortable on it than I was on a ninja. It does have some quirks (most are well documented - cowling 'buzz', pretty vibey in low to mid-range RPMs, no stock or OEM center stand), and not as much aftermarket as the V-Stroms, but seems like anything I want to do I can learn from www.kawasakiversys.com .

If you have time and patience, you can also probably still find some brand new '09 models in the low to mid $5k range. I paid slightly more than that, but it was an impulse purchase.

October 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
You can pop west of Sedalia to 105 and get a nice little ride down to Monument (and/or continue there tot he East side of 25 to roll 83 into the Spgs...)

285 to Pine then turn South toward Deckers - 67 will take you to Woodland Park (24) for a quick snack :) ... lots'a options from there (Cripple Creek, Victor, etc...)

Also -- you can run up to Evergreen (from Morrison) on 74 then hop onto 103 to roll through Echo Lake and on into Idaho Spgs (you can link to the Central City Pkwy and get back onto 119 for a few more options) -- the mag-cholride on 119 East from Black Hawk is "starting" already, it'll be a little waxy now until it wears-off sometime next summer, but heading uphill and along into Boulder or grabbing the Peak-to-Peak again (72) can be a nice ride. (hell, you could even take a quick-out and run 72 down hill through Coal Creek Canyon back to town...)

Sounds like a good "Happy Birthday" to me ...