PDA

View Full Version : Oil Analysis

74BuckinBronc
June 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
What company do you use and what results do you get back?

This snuck up on me and I need to get my oil tested quickly. I hear some labs even give you an idea of how much life is left in your oil.

Thanks!

J.D.

CSP
June 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Blackstone

www.blackstone-labs.com

ScaldedDog
June 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
x2

74BuckinBronc
June 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
$25 for an analysis seems a little steep, but if they are the best...and it saves me changing the oil.

J.D.

CSP
June 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I don't do mine every oil change. Usually every third or fourth.

CGuava
June 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
$25 to know that at 6,000 miles, you still have XX,000 miles of life left is cheap insurance. (hypothetical)

They will also tell you if you have any contaminants in the oil. Which is a good indication of how the motor is doing.

74BuckinBronc
June 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'll order it up now! Thanks guys!

74BuckinBronc
June 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
These guys can do synthetics right? I assume you tell them what oil you're using in the paperwork?

J.D.

CSP
June 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Yes, the form tells them what kind of oil.

See one of the sample analysis forms on their website.

Hippie
June 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Schaffers does mine for free - I get test kits when I buy my fluids:D

74BuckinBronc
June 8th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Schaffers does mine for free - I get test kits when I buy my fluids:D

How'd you work that? I'm running Schaeffers!

Hippie
June 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I ask for test kits from my rep when I place my order and I get test kits with my order with prepaid retun containers - fill out the form - send it in and I get my results back :D I assumed they do it for anyone that asks.

Might be worth asking your rep for some kits and see what happens:D

74BuckinBronc
June 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Haven't ordered from my local rep, but have been in contact with her. Thanks for the heads up. Will ask next time.

J.D.

74BuckinBronc
July 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I may be dumping Schaeffers all together. I am more than just a little frustrated! Spent a lot of darn money on what I thought was the best oil to find out it may not be working well with my truck. Not to mention the 3 gallons I have on the shelf ready for the next change and the expense of a bypass filtration setup too!

Here's the comments:

This is the very first sample we've seen from your F350, so we can't say whether the metals are in the process of getting worse or getting better. But iron, copper, and lead show excessive bearing wear, and this engine is too young to have this sort of problem. Schaeffer's is good oil, but sometimes a diesel engine doesn't do all that well on synthetic, so you might try a petroleum oil to see if wear improves. The TBN is very strong at 8.3 and no contaminants were present that would be causing the wear. Suggest changing this oil out. Check back to monitor.

I have a little relief in knowing I haven't been running schaeffers but 15k miles or so and that I may be able to nip this in the bud, but I really wanted to not have to change the oil every 5k and went to some expense to do so!

PM me your email if you want to see my full report.

J.D.

lj06
July 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I was just wondering was year your truck is and how many miles are on it and at what milage you switched over to the better oil , from what oil did you run before

74BuckinBronc
July 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM
2002 F350 with 107k. Probably switched to Schaeffers 12-14k miles ago from Rotella. This sample was taken on my second batch of Schaeffers and after I installed the bypass filter system.

J.D.

OklahomaYJ
July 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Interesting....I've thought about doing a oil analysis but never really thought it was THAT necessary. I've been running Rotella T-6 synthetic in my LLM since I bought it with 49k miles on it (63k now). I've changed the oil once with about 12000 miles on it (the OLM said it had 0%). I'm wondering if synthetic is the real problem here....

74BuckinBronc
July 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
They can save your bacon and maybe just did for me.

J.D.

Loki
July 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
:eek: Ordering now.

ROCKTACO
July 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I've been using Amsoil for oil and testing which is actually through an independent co.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/oai_kit_900px.jpg

So far I've had excellent report however my most recent never made it to the tester. Most likely not their fault. Since it was a critical interval I changed it anyways. Being my first go-around with testing I changes the oil and am starting over...

I dont recall the price from the top of my head but I want to say somewhere around 15 bucks..?

I have no experience with Schaeffers but you may want to consider another high quality oil. I've never heard about synthetic not playing well with a motor (could be true??) but I know synthetics will defiantly out last dino oil..

Hate to say it but maybe your rig is chewing up bearings for some reason.:confused:

Chris Halvorson
July 14th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I have only heard of schaffers a few times, but never looked into it.

J.D., I hope your not having issues either, that is such a nice truck. In the event you do, take it to Cresso's diesel tech. He did a nice job on his 7.3, trust me.

74BuckinBronc
July 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks Chris. I am trying to decide what to do. Thinking I may get a second opinion, but it's almost as cheap just to change the oil. However, I want to be certain there is or isn;t something serious going on. I sent me report to Schaeffers and they weren't nearly as concerned. But it does make sense to have the manufacturer of the oil test it for you. That way they know what goes into their oil, exactly. So I need to order a kit from them and go from there. Just hate to head to Kremmling in a couple weeks to go camping on this oil...

J.D.

Chris Halvorson
July 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Oil is cheap, motors are not. On my last truck I had to flush 20 qts in two months due to injectors/head gasket. The injectors didn't leak down into the motor, and it didn't look like coolant got into the oil; however I wasn't taking chances.
Keep us posted J.D.

74BuckinBronc
July 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
That is a good point Chris. I spoke at length with the local Schaeffer's rep. We came up with a game plan. Running down to a local shop today to have him vacuum a sample out and we'll send it into schaeffers for testing. Being that I don't drive the truck much, he's asking me to leave the oil in there until we get the results back. We'll make the decision at that point. The rep isn't nearly as concerned as blackstone was. The rep is thinking that for some reason my sample from my bypass filter system port maybe contributing to elevated #'s. The vacuum test will tell.

Will post updates as I get them back.

CSP
July 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Personally, I'd trust an independent lab vs. the manufacturer's own lab. Bias toward their own product is going to have an effect on the concern level, IMO.

Not to say that Blackstone is correct, but I'd go to another independent lab for my second opinion.

74BuckinBronc
July 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I understand that CSP, but results should be results regardless. The numbers shouldn't lie and I think Schaeffer's is a very reputable company. Plus when I send my sample in today, they won't know any background on it, so no reason to sway results. the only difference is that this sample was taken from the dipstick tube and not off the port of my bypass filter setup.

J.D.

CSP
July 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Good point, the numbers don't lie. As long as you know what the numbers relate to in regards to levels of concern it shouldn't matter who pulls the numbers.

Hippie
August 5th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Have you got your results back from Schaeffer's yet ?

Also something to think about. I have done ALLOT of research on oils and that is why I run straight Schaeffers. Their additive package is one of the best on the market and their customer service is top notch.

Anyway, as I understand it, when you change brands/types of oil your metal wear can spike for a few oil changes as the new oil with different additives can cause the system to "flush" out. I am not sure how much truth there is to that statement though:shrug:

74BuckinBronc
August 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I did. They also recommended I change the oil and resample in 6-7k miles. I will change the oil as soon as I can get ecomicrofilters (oil guard) to send me replacement bypass filters. If you know another source, I am all ears, but these guys have been unresponsive for weeks!! Should have went with the Amsoil bypass.

The conclusion was we need another sample to begin a baseline and go from there. I just can't afford to change out my schaeffer's every 6-7k. I need to go at least 10k before it's the same price as changing rotella every 5k.

Hippie - I can email you the schaeffer's analysis if you're interested. I can email both if you're really into it! LOL! The flushing causing elevated numbers makes sense, but this is my second, if not third schaeffer's change. Plus when I switched, the rep had me run some additive (detergent) for the last 500 miles on rotella.

J.D.

Hippie
August 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I get all my filters from http://www.fleetfilter.com/. I buy several sets at a time to cut down on shipping butI don't know if they carry your ecomicrofilters or not.

I would be curious to see your results but am NOT an expert.

One thing you might try is posting up the findings at http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24 and see what some of the folks over there have to say. There are some industry experts that help out allot in the fluids forum I linked, can't hurt to try :shrug:, also if you search you can find quite a few test results posted by other people and compare your results to theirs and get an idea how bad or not so bad your results are.

74BuckinBronc
August 8th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Good ideas. I will try to do that soon!