PDA

View Full Version : Bike suggestions

jeepn4evr
May 31st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I have an 87 yamaha virago 1100 that I have been riding for the past 9 years or so. I am thinking about getting a newer bike & looking for some recomendations. I have some specs in mind but haven't really looked at anything in a while. So with the following limitations in mind give me some suggestions

Under $4000
bigger than 1100ccs
2000 or newer
comfortable for me & wife for short & long trips

Note I REALLY like the looks & feel of the Yamaha Stratoliner with the Honda VTX 1800 coming in second. I have sat on both but haven't ridden either. Unfortunately I think both are out of my budget. Also while I like Harley everyone seems to have one & I want to be a little different, not to mention pretty sure they are out of my budget too.

FirecrackerKTM
May 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
if you were buying NEW, I would say Harleys aren't such a bad deal anymore. But for used, you won't touch anything other than a 20 year old Sportster for $4k.

I've got a Suzuki, and it hasn't been a bad bike. They don't have the name that Honda/Yamaha do, so the market is a little less painful. The Boulevards are supposed to be nice bikes although I have only ridden my Marauder and can't compare. The 'Rauder is an 800 but there was a 1600 version.

XtremeXJ
May 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Kawasaki Mean Streak - they are either the 1500 or 1600 and you can find them clost to your price range. They have a very big aftermarket and you can make them look like nothing else (see my posts for my Mean Streak). These bikes are also no longer made after 2008.

The Suzuki Marauder 1500 and 1600 (2002 to 2006) are the exact same bike as the Kawasaki Mean Streak (Kawasaki made the bike and then sold them to Suzuki minus the items that Suzuki did to make them theirs). The only diffence is the Head Light, the Upper Tripple and the rear Fender. These bikes are no longer made after 2006 (I think).

I love my Mean Streak and will truely miss it once it is gone. I have a friend that may be trying to sale his Mean Streak within your budget or at least close to it, if you decide to go that route, just let me know.

My father-in-law has a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 and he loves it. My mother-in-law rides a 2005 Vulcan 900 and loves it as well.

Everyone that I talk to about Harleys (both fans and non-fans), say that if you are not a Harley person at heart, don't get a Harley.

Your budget has you limited a little on, as you have stated the VTXs are a little out of that price range.

If you increase your budget - I recommend going with the Victory Vegas, KingPin or the Cross Roads or even the Cross Country. I just purchased my Victory Vegas and cannot wait to put the miles on her. They are a 106ci with a 6 speed transmission.

Right now there are huge rebates and offers from dealerships just begging to get rid of over stocked items.

At any case - good luck and let me know if the Mean Streak is something you want to look at.

jeepn4evr
May 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks Xtreme

Something I forgot to mention is NO Loans, no matter how many incentives are thrown at us. The budget I set was a geuss on money from selling my current bike & another vehicle that doens't get driven & some savings. Currently we are debt free & want to stay that way. If I can't find another bike for that budget I will just ride mine into the ground & keep saving money for a newer one.

I might be interested in looking ath the Mean streak, however buying anything would be on hold till I actually sold vehicles & both need a little work to get a better price.

I wouldn't mind a Harley but that is a few years down the road price wise & one of the big reasons for a Harley is the guys I ride with. If they don't know it about a Harley then it doens't exist so I would have a ton of support on how to do different things. Having said that while I wouldn't mind having one I also wouldn't mind having a Stratoliner or a VTX etc. I will probably never own a Sportster as it isn't comfortable enough for me & my wife to ride, if I did have a Harly would be a Road King or something like that

XtremeXJ
May 31st, 2011, 05:01 PM
The only thing that I see wrong with the Mean Streak / Marauder deal is that fact that on long rides the rider is stretched out a little and the passenger is hunched over a little on to the operator.

jeepn4evr
June 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
yeah that wouldn't be a good thing. I do like on my Virago that I am upright & so does my wife. Pretty sure I don't want to be leaning forward.

My bike, the controls are too close for my legs comfortably for long rides & its getting up there in age & want somehting a little more comfortable for both of us & newer.

FirecrackerKTM
June 2nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Sit on one, bikes fit everybody differently. I don't feel stretched out on my VZ800, not sure if the 1600s are a lot different. My inseam is 33 or 34 so it depends on the rider.

jeepn4evr
June 3rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Any thoughts on a Suziki Intruder 1400?

Turns out my dads neighbor is selling his as he has a couple other bikes. Its a 97, has 10,9250 miles & looks good, rides good. One thing that I thought weird is the goofy small handle bars (will be changed if I do get it). He is asking $1500 for it. Craigslist has some for $2200 & up. Riding position is same as my Virago (he let me test it for a day & take it to my mechanic) but the highway pegs are stretched out farther so that is better. Also noticed the steering was weird compared to my bike & others I have ridden. High speed no problem but lower speeds it pulls you around the corner.

At any rate anyone have any experience with them?

BumperMan
June 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
I would say look at the 1100 honda shadows, the 1100 yamaha Vstars, Or the 1500 Kawasaki Vulcans. Also consider the 1300 honda. I have heard a few complaints about the 1800s.

XtremeXJ
June 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
My Neighbor has a Honda Shadow and they say it is a great bike to ride.

FirecrackerKTM
June 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Gosh that seems like a good price on the Intruder. I don't know anything about that bike though.

jeepn4evr
June 6th, 2011, 09:13 AM
It was a great price I think. However while I was at work Saturday someone else came & bought it. Was planning on test riding is Sunday. Ahh well back to the search.

meatballs
June 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I just bought a new 09 Suzuki Boulevard M90. Its an awesome bike. Only problem I have is 1-2 shift is clunky. They were selling them at Grand Prix for 7999, list was 10,700 but a crappy interest rate. Fey Myers matched the price with 1.9%

shadetreezj
June 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I just bought a new 09 Suzuki Boulevard M90. Its an awesome bike. Only problem I have is 1-2 shift is clunky. They were selling them at Grand Prix for 7999, list was 10,700 but a crappy interest rate. Fey Myers matched the price with 1.9%

All of my zuk's have had the 1-2 clunk. Old GSXR-750, Katana 600, my current Volusia. Never let me down though.

XtremeXJ
June 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Ever shift a 6 speed Victory? They clunk - it is loud. I did some searching around on the web and rumor has it, the clunk is because they over did the strength in the transmission. Amsoil is suppose to quite it down a little. We will see.

BumperMan
June 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM
My Vic flunks like crazy. My first one clunked even worse. Running synthetic helped but made it harder to find neutral.

FirecrackerKTM
June 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
my bike clunks too, should i worry?

XtremeXJ
June 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
??? Not sure if you should worry. I guess that depends on if it has always sounded like that or if this is a new sound. I have read that in the Victorys it is common.

BumperMan
July 1st, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm on my third vic. My first one was a first model year, and it clunked something feirce. I put 80k miles on it with no tranny problems. I just don't worry about the clunk.

FirecrackerKTM
July 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
It has always sounded like that since I have had it, which was 3000 miles ago. bike only has 8k total. i do need to do an oil change. but if it's no big deal i will ignore it. I have a Suzuki, don't know much about them.