PDA

View Full Version : holy cow...

Cresso
May 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Why does Dodge have so much trouble making normal sizes? Seems like they always go way too small or way too big.

I believe this falls into the "way too big" category (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ram-long-hauler-concept.html)

GM4X4LOVER
May 9th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I think that one hits the perfect category.

rock hopper
May 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Wow a Dana 110 that truck is ridiculous could haul the whole trailer park to walmart

SBIUnlimited
May 10th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Love it!!

Sam I Am
May 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I have always wanted a Mega-Cab with an 8' bed.... Great idea.

Dave McDonald
May 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM
.*sniff*. Dat's bootiful, man....

CSP
May 10th, 2011, 08:08 AM
So what about the excuses they made about wheelbase being too long to offer an 8' bed with the Megacab???

Fugly is the word that comes to my mind......

dcastell
May 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Looks like it is actually a nine foot bed. There is an 8ft bed with a 1ft gas tank behind the cab.

oleblue
May 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I could drive my heep onto that, would not need a trailer. Cool

BumperMan
May 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
4.88 gears. Can you say 10mpg empty and running the speed limit

Rex Ashton
May 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
8ft bed is fine, but the x-tra foot of tank and the 4.88 gears are bad ideas....
.....unless you're towing Stonehenge

BumperMan
May 11th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but you are going to need the tank because of the gears.

Camp
May 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I'm wondering if you can even get to the speed limit with those gears when it is 75mph or if you are redlined at about 70mph....

Pavementpounder
May 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Id run it as my dd

CLYDE
May 11th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I suspect they make it up with the overdrive in the trans. I can see where the hotshotters will buy these like crazy. Would be a great rig for pulling a 4 car trailer.

oleblue
May 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
4.88 gears from factory is nothing anymore. Many SUV's and trucks have that or higher anymore. OD is their friend. Heck my 2002 Xterra has 4.90 in them from the factory. As they go bigger wheels they go steeper gears.

Camp
May 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Too bad they specifically state in the owners manuals that you should not tow in OD. :shrug: OD with a heavy load make a LOT of HEAT.

GM4X4LOVER
May 11th, 2011, 04:07 PM
It says in my psd manual its ok to tow in od. I think alot of the newer transmissions are like this.

CLYDE
May 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Too bad they specifically state in the owners manuals that you should not tow in OD. :shrug: OD with a heavy load make a LOT of HEAT.
I suspect if this thing sees production, they will address that with an eaton trans, and heavy duty cooling, looks like this is aimed at commercial applications to me. Of course mfrs have done sillier things :shrug:

guapotaco
May 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM
that link tried to eat my computer, careful with that one:thumbsdown:

Cresso
May 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM
that link tried to eat my computer, careful with that one:thumbsdown:

Which link? The one in the first post? :confused:

oleblue
May 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Time to go to the store :D

http://www.instantsign.com/i/1day/Handicap_Parking_Only.jpg

guapotaco
May 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Which link? The one in the first post? :confused:

yep, started loading 100 million windows and wouldnt close

Camp
May 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
yep, started loading 100 million windows and wouldnt close

Sounds like it is something with your computer, not the link. I just reopened the link to see if it did anything weird and it just opened up like it did the first time for me, nothing strange.

oleblue
May 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
That link did take like 3 minutes to fully load for me, but it worked. Just tried again and same thing, about 3 minutes to fully load.

Noticed this this time:
tow-tone paint job

What is tow-tone.

cshortreed
May 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
That would most certainly tow my travel trailer :). And the neighbors. And the neighborhoods...!

Grant H.
May 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'd definitely drive it.

I love the mega cab long bed conversions.

http://www.megacablongbed.com/trucks/truck83.jpg

SBIUnlimited
May 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Would love a Mega Cab Long bed conversion that was NOT a dually. That would be BA!

Grant H.
May 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Would love a Mega Cab Long bed conversion that was NOT a dually. That would be BA!

(For those that know, Brennan off of Cumminsforum.com (Giddyup5.9))

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9816/gallery2ik.jpg

Video of his recent 1079hp dyno runs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviZuIdP8jI&feature=player_embedded

Clint
May 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'd definitely drive it.

I love the mega cab long bed conversions.

http://www.megacablongbed.com/trucks/truck83.jpg

that pic looks like somebody stretched the image out :lmao: what a dumb looking rig.

Grant H.
May 17th, 2011, 12:58 PM
that pic looks like somebody stretched the image out :lmao: what a dumb looking rig.

They are bit goofy when you first see them.

I guess I have been around enough now that I really like them. The full length bed, and the big cab seems like an awesome setup to me.

To each their own.

Rex Ashton
May 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Longbed trucks are generally too long for my taste, thus especially converted longbed Megas......but I'd find a way to tolerate Brennan's :D

Blue Dodge
May 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM

If the torque connverter is locked, it shouldn't make any more heat in OD then any other gears. In fact, typically, especially in older trans, they build far more heat in 1st and 2nd since the TC usually isn't locked.

My Chevy with the 4L85E engine runs coolest in OD, and the trans stays about the same in 3rd or OD. It gets pretty hot in 1st, and 2nd is in between. This all towing 10-16k lb.

Usually the recommendation to avoid towing in OD is it puts additional load on the lockup clutches, as well as potential weakness in the OD unit itself. Also, if you are pushing your engine's power range, the extra shifting can cause a lot of wear and tear.

On my '01 Dodge is was critical to tow with OD turned off as it only locked the TC in 3rd if OD was locked out. In that case just having it in OD but not actually being in OD caused a lot of heat.

SBIUnlimited
May 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
(For those that know, Brennan off of Cumminsforum.com (Giddyup5.9))

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9816/gallery2ik.jpg

Video of his recent 1079hp dyno runs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviZuIdP8jI&feature=player_embedded

Huge :thumbsup::thumbsup: Like the black wheels in the video better than the chrome ones. 'course I am partial to black wheels.

GPP33
May 30th, 2011, 10:51 AM

All mega cabs look dumb. If they had of stretched the back door to fill the extra space the long bed would be flat out sick. The short door followed by a big section of metal is just hideous regardless of the bed size.

I'd like to see a Crew Cab Tundra with a long bed, that would be a pretty sweet truck.

Clint
May 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM
All mega cabs look dumb. If they had of stretched the back door to fill the extra space the long bed would be flat out sick. The short door followed by a big section of metal is just hideous regardless of the bed size.

I'd like to see a Crew Cab Tundra with a long bed, that would be a pretty sweet truck.

Its like a dog door main entrance to a mansion

Rex Ashton
May 30th, 2011, 09:14 PM
BS....that rear door is already huge on the Mega. I sold my Mega about a year ago. You stretch that door any more and it's a 2-parking space minimum to open it up. It's almost too big back there, although I'm contemplating another one :shrug:....it's a specific truck I'm considering though; I don't necessarily want another Mega.

The new Crew Cab (which is what I have now) is right-on with 2nd row seating, door size, aesthetics, etc. Dodge was only a decade behind the others to get that right.

5.9 Megas will always be in demand since there is only 1.5 production years of availability and some folks have really fat in-laws.

GPP33
May 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
BS....that rear door is already huge on the Mega. I sold my Mega about a year ago. You stretch that door any more and it's a 2-parking space minimum to open it up.

That's kinda what I figured. Too bad it's still ugly.

Clint
May 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM
long truck is long.

Rex Ashton
May 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM
That's kinda what I figured. Too bad it's still ugly.meh, I have people that think the granite I put in kitchens is ugly. Most of those people are old, out of touch, and have no taste IMO, but I can't make everyone like what I like.

I do still find the 2nd row space to be too much in a Mega. However, I don't find them ugly. I do think they need a minimum of a leveling kit and 35's to look proportional. Stock, they resemble a salamander.

long truck is long.QFT....I'm not a long truck kinda guy and a longbed Mega needs rear-steer.