PDA

View Full Version : Ford v10 Motorhome Propane Conversion

jeephabit3
April 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I am thinking about having a dual-fuel propane conversion done on my Ford E450 v10 based motorhome. I am hoping to have more fuel options to save some $'s on longer road-trips. I also have access to cheap propane where my RV is located.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of propane conversions and the pros and cons.

From my research it seems that the fuel economy would be about 20% less but with rising gas prices it seems like lower propane costs could pay for a conversion after a reasonable amount of mileage. I have owned my motorhome since 2007 and have put 40k plus miles on it since then so it definitely gets used.

gkainz
April 27th, 2011, 11:06 PM
last time I had anything to do with propane or dual-fuel conversions, everything was carb'ed, not injected. The conversion was relatively inexpensive and easy to do. As I recall, you always started on gasoline and then switched to propane.
Propane has lower BTUs and you got less mileage, but (at least then) propane was considerably less expensive, making up for the mileage difference.

CSP
April 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Cheap propane? I need some of that to heat my house!

Keep in mind you'll use more propane than gasoline per mile.