View Full Version : Bikes without title?

April 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I just started looking for a starter bike and have noticed a large number of bikes without a title. How hard is it to get a title? Im not seriously in the market, but I cant imagine buying a bike without a clean title as a smart thing to do? However, I read that some states don't bother titling older bikes anyway? :shrug:

While on the subject, are there any bike junkyards here in Colorado, not just the metro, but the state?

April 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Can't help ya much on the title question - For a street ride, I insist on a title...

Steeles (http://www.steelescycle.com) is kinda close to you there -- a fun trip to "browse"...

Action (http://www.actioncyclesinc.com)should still be going in CoSpgs, though it's been years since I've been

Head up to Ty's place in Longmont (maybe call to see if he's still in it?) He had a boatload of fun crap on my last visit! 3/678/5683 ??

There used to be a Hawg Wild up ther kinda Loveland too -- but... it's been a damned long time...

Lots more, I'm sure...

April 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
dont waste your time and money on anything without a title, major headache, and costs to much.

April 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Well that answers that, thanks.... Im guessing the titling process isn't worth it. What about a rebuilt/salvage bike?

Looks like a road trip is in order.

April 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
salvage rebuilts ok, long as the numbers match up. Theres a lot of sketchy shit out there.

April 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
However, I read that some states don't bother titling older bikes anyway? :shrug:

You only need a title if you want it to be street legal. If you're getting an off-road bike you don't need one.

Usually if someone is selling a street bike without a title it's because they acquired it through shady means.

Not neccessarily stolen, but maybe the original owner supplied the bike as collateral for a loan and then defaulted, and the bike has changed hands several times since then.

Another possibility (I saw this with my wife's ex-husband) is that the original purchaser buys the bike and finances it. Buyer stops paying but finance company doesn't repo because it's not cost effective. Or, the finance company goes under and now it's not clear who owns the "paper" on the bike. As long as the original purchaser keeps it registered in his name, it can go on forever like that.

But if the purchaser wants to sell it, the buyer is going to be in for a surprise when they apply for the title and some finance company pops up out of nowhere and says "sure, we'll release the title when you pay back the $6000 + 10 years of interest." :rolleyes:

So, what usually happens in that circumstance is that the purchaser ends up parting out the bike - or puts it up on Craigslist for some sucker to buy! ;)

April 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Ive been looking at a lot of older bikes from the 70's and many of them don't have titles it seems.