PDA

View Full Version : School me on chip / exhaust upgrades

potter
March 31st, 2011, 09:30 AM
I have a 2010 VW Tiguan (Wolfsburg edt), 2.0 Turbo, 4motion.

It currently runs about 7.6 0-60 stock, on what is I believe around 200 HP.

My friend who has a lotus said I need to put exhaust on it because turbo's love exhaust, and another friend said I need to put a chip in it because I'd get a ton more better performance from a chip.

From what I've researched - APR Chips seem to be pretty popular with the VW crowd. http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html

My questions are, what order do I do the upgrades, what upgrades do I do, where do I get them done, can any of them be done myself, how much of a performance increase will I see? As well, the APR chip above has the three different stages - what should I go with?

I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Steve
March 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM
It's a VW Tiguan. (One of the dumber car names in a while BTW.) Sell it and get a real performance car. :flipoff2:

Seriously, everything on modern engines is computer controlled. The right chip will give pretty amazing results. I'd start there.

You can buy an optional ($150 or some such ridiculous price) key for the new Mustang Boss 302. It has a chip in it that resets over 150 things in the engine and trans. According to a Road & Track article I read it turns a performance car into a full-on race car. With no other mods needed.

Mcstiff
March 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM
IMO, the Tiguan should be called the Rallye Golf (google it) oh marketing.

Anyway, APR is good but there are other options that are good (some are optimized for altitude). Check out Avalon Motorsport and see what they have done. I know the 2.0T can make pretty large gains from a chip and yes decreasing exhaust back-pressure can be good for any engine.

Jake_Blues
March 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM
what order do I do the upgrades, what upgrades do I do, where do I get them done, can any of them be done myself, how much of a performance increase will I see? As well, the APR chip above has the three different stages - what should I go with?

Get the Stage 1 ECU reflash first. This doesn't require any other upgrades.

Next, if you want more power, get the upgraded exhaust, maybe an upgraded intercooler, cold air intake, EGT gauge, etc. Then upgrade your chip to the Stage 2 ECU reflash.

Finally, if you get crazy, get the upgraded turbo kit and go with the Stage 3 ECU reflash.

What the ECU reflash is doing is altering the turbo boost and fuel maps. The turbo on your car has a wastegate. When the wastegate is closed, the exhaust from your engine spins the turbo, providing boost. When the wastegate opens, the exhaust by-passes the turbo and you get less/no boost. This is how your ECU controls how much boost the engine sees. The ECU reflash just makes it wait longer before opening the wastegate, so you get more boost (and can burn more fuel). At some point, with the stock turbo, the wastegate is always closed, because the ECU is always demanding as much or more boost than the turbo can provide. This is when adding things like a free-flowing exhaust can allow the turbo to develop more boost. Eventually you just have to go to a bigger turbo to get more boost.

You can't really do the reflash yourself, although you can pull your ECU and send it in to be reflashed. Easier to just take it someplace (Like Avalon (http://www.avalonmotorsports.com/)) and have them do it.

The exhaust, intercooler, etc - you can do yourself, just depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

Do you have a budget in mind?

-E

potter
March 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
I was hoping to do the upgrades in stages of like $300-$500 at a time. Maybe 1-2 times a year.

scottycards
March 31st, 2011, 03:08 PM
I ran a Stage III APR kit on my 1.8 Audi.

I had a shop do the install, and I drove it home and hammered it for several years without issue.

If you're cash constrained, start with Stage I. Personally, I'd wait and do Stage II right out of the gate- all you need is the downpipe, from what I read in your link.

APR is very trustworthy, at least in my experience. I definitely recommend them, based on personal experience with their products.

Pick up the phone and call them- see if you can run Stage II w/o the downpipe.

Otherwise, it WILL wake your car up, big time. Turbos respond very well to a simple chip upgrade. My A4 was an absolute hoot to drive once it got the APR treatment.

I wouldn't sweat the full exhaust until you really need it. I put a Milltek on my Audi and it was killer, but it also cost a small fortune, as it was full stainless.

Just do the downpipe and II, you'll be very happy.