PDA

View Full Version : 05 Dodge Lift Pump

liamxj
March 2nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
So after just shy of 100k miles almost 50% of which are towing here in Colorado the stock lift pump is on its last legs. I have 2 options in mind the AirDog 100 and the DPP FASS Pump. I cant decide which to get and were to order it from. Anyone here have any thoughts on this? Thanks,

Will

The Man With The Plan
March 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Will, as you know I just put an Air Dog 150 in mine. Its pretty noisy, but that may be due to the install. I'd look at two things, price, and replacement filter cost/availability. 5R has Air Dog filters in stock. I'm sure someone has FASS too. Then look at particulate size. I'm sure they are comparable, but they may not be.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chris Halvorson
March 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
X2...
I would also check to see which one has the lifetime warranty as well. There are some good systems out there, and then there are some that should be left on a gasser.

Jon, is there rubber between the airdog mount and where it was mounted? This makes a huge difference. The first FASS I had was very loud, and on a quiet 3rd gen...that was annoying. Now I have a really quiet FASS with a noisy 2nd gen. Go figure.

liamxj
March 3rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Well I pulled the trigger and got the FASS pump from John down at Performance Wise and will be installing it this weekend! I called today after lunch and they will get it in tomorrow afternoon. I did it mostly for the cost and ease of obtaining filters for it. I can go to NAPA and grab both fleet guard filters for half the cost and much less time than the Airdog. I understand it may be a bit louder but I donít have a muffler on my Dodge so I donít think in cab noise will be an issue. I will let you know how it goes and give you an impression next week.

Will

Chris Halvorson
March 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Good to hear Will. My FASS is very quiet, just depends on install most of the time.

liamxj
March 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Ok, the pump is in! Overall not a bad install other than the giant pain of removing the fuel tank which the only real problem there was disconnecting the fuel lines and power from on top of the tank. Other than that it went well and man what a difference! So here is the breakdown, the first thing I noticed is how well it starts compared to before. After that the idle is noticeably smoother, than the throttle response is greatly improved. also I have more power across the whole RPM range, and to boot I managed to pick up almost 3mpg! O and to all those who say the FASS is loud; are you on crack? Once the truck is started you can’t hear it at all! Love it, a great choice for anyone in need of a new lift pump.

Will

Chris Halvorson
March 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Will, glad you like the pump. The fuel connections on the tank are sometimes a little tricky, but it is a pretty easy install for the most part.

Grant H.
March 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Good to hear.

My experience has been that the FASS has some benefits that make it worth the extra.

Glad you like it.

honker1
March 16th, 2011, 10:14 PM
so what did she set you back if you dont mind me askin i have been lookin for one for my 07 5.9

snowfootball
March 16th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Will
What kind of symptoms were you getting that told you the stock pump was bad or do you have a lift pump gage? Good to see the improved power and fuel economy. I have 50k on my 2006 truck so I would assume that I have some time before my lift pump starts to go bad.

J Kimmel
March 17th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I am sure Will can give you more info but I drove it and when accelerating through the gears, around 24-2500 rpm it would sort of go flat, it didn't die but it didn't pull either so you had to shift.