PDA

View Full Version : Trackable commuter?

The Man With The Plan
February 28th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Soon to be gainfully employed, with a 45 minute commute. Been looking at high MPG commuter cars, with a mini Cooper high on the list. Then my wife drops the bomb..."Why don't you sell the Subaru and get a Porsche?" God, I love her!

Anywho, I'm looking for opinions on trackable cars that get decent mileage. By decent i mean anything over 25 mpg highway. The only catch is that I need to be able to carry 2 kids. Is there anything out there less than $40k that fits the bill?

RX8, M3, 911, RS4...?

Reliability is a factor, as is cost of repair. I'd love to get a 993, but anything Porsche will be an arm and a leg to fix.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cheftyler
March 1st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Dude, drive a CooperS, fun little go cart of a car, easily trackable, fits 2 kids with no issues, and I get right around 30 MPG mixed driving and NOT trying to get good mileage.

My dad has a '99 911 Carrera 4 and gets nowhere near your 25 MPG benchmark, FWIW.

Scott91MJ
March 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
mini cooper clubman or countryman FTW

Jake_Blues
March 1st, 2011, 10:31 AM
Carrying two kids eliminates many of the truly fun ones :(

Porsche 911
Mini Cooper (really good mileage, not so good horsepower or curb appeal)
Infinity G37 Coupe (or the G35, used, for cheap)
BMW 3 Series
Audi S4 (the RS4 gets crap mileage, but great performance)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Subaru WRX STi
Hyundai Genesis Coupe

The RX8 gets bad mileage, always a problem with rotaries, I wouldn't include it on the list. The new 2012 Volkswagen Golf R might be a fun option that could give the Mini a run for its money in the fun to drive commuter car category.

If price is no object, that 911 would be my choice. For price vs performance you'd have a hard time beating the Hyundai. Mini Cooper is going to be the mileage king.

-E

The Man With The Plan
March 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM
Already have the STi. Goes like hell, but only gets 16 mpg (E85). I could live with that, but it's too thirsty, which wouldn't be a problem if there were more ethanol stations around, or it had a bigger tank. I can get a used Cooper S turbo for pretty cheap ($15k-ish), but when my wife said it would be ok to get something else, it raised an eyebrow. She's trying to avoid having our driveway look like a used-car lot.

Plus, if I sell the Subie, it would be tough to live with something that got a paltry 400 hp! ;) Is it too much to ask for it all?? I wonder how much GTR's are going for these days...

Jake_Blues
March 1st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Already have the STi. Goes like hell, but only gets 16 mpg (E85).

So, what you're saying is, you already had what you are looking for, then you went and ruined it? :)

If you already have an STi, just buy a cheapie commuter car and run the Scooby on the track. 400+hp and 25+MPG is a pipe dream :)

-E

The Man With The Plan
March 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM
That was the original plan until my wife spoke up.

Colo.TJ
March 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM

Christie: "blah blah blah blah Porsche blah blah blah blah blah."

What Jon heard.:flipoff2:

The Man With The Plan
March 1st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, pretty much!

rch
March 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
What about the Lexus IS-F?

Or you looking for a more sporty type car?

There is always the CTS-V

Camp
March 2nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
You can pick up good 996 Turbo's for under $50K. I've been looking at them myself. I don't think you will get 25 mpg but, it is all wheel drive and as long as you don't get a GT2, it will have back seats :D I've had my eye on one that is turned up to about 725hp but, I'm confident it won't get even 20 mpg :D

scottycards
March 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
400+hp and 25+MPG is a pipe dream :)

-E

:tisk: Happens on every road trip I take. Well, 436hp and 25+, at least.....

Jake_Blues
March 2nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
:tisk: Happens on every road trip I take. Well, 436hp and 25+, at least.....

Where do you put the two kids? :D

-E

Mcstiff
March 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM

How about selling the STI and get a RWD 2 seat commuter track car (vette) and a 4 seater for the kids? Are you transporting them and commuting on the same days?

The Man With The Plan
March 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
That's an idea, but I think out of the budget. I'm leaning towards keeping the Subie right now and converting it to a dedicated track-car (but keep it street legal). Actually going to test-drive an '03 Acura TL this afternoon. 30-ish mpg hwy, 4 doors, nice looking, reliable Honda power.

Mcstiff
March 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a plan; Man!

The math I was doing was ~$40k+value of the STI=Vette+4 seat appliance.

Colo.TJ
March 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Where do you put the two kids? :D

-E

In the Camaro. 400+ HP and 25mpg highway. Fits four.:D

Outstanding Performance and Efficiency
The 2011 Camaro has a powerful V6 capable of 312 horsepower, yet it still offers an impressive 29 MPG highway(6) with an available six-speed automatic transmission. For even more under the hood, move up to the SS and its 6.2L V8 engine. Even with its standard 426 horsepower, it offers 24 MPG highway(6). The available automatic transmission version of SS features Active Fuel Management and offers 25 MPG highway(6) while delivering 400 horsepower.

The Man With The Plan
March 2nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Does it come with a free mullet?

J Kimmel
March 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
no but I bet yours would grow quickly and Scotty would approve :)

sonofmayhem
March 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Skip the Mini ( if your kids don't have legs or you have no soul go for it) Fun to drive sure, but no room at all.

RX8, that's a shitty car. I hate those damn rotary engines, expensive and poor reliablilty.

I'd hop in an RS4 or even the new Evo. Depending on how "hard-Core" your track sessions are going to be. You can't beat the reliablilty of that damn turbo 4cyl and its fairly easy/inexpensive to get 400+hp on a stock block.

scottycards
March 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
no but I bet yours would grow quickly and Scotty would approve :)

Rock the mullet. :hail::hail::hail:

cheftyler
March 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Skip the Mini ( if your kids don't have legs or you have no soul go for it) Fun to drive sure, but no room at all.

RX8, that's a shitty car. I hate those damn rotary engines, expensive and poor reliablilty.

I'd hop in an RS4 or even the new Evo. Depending on how "hard-Core" your track sessions are going to be. You can't beat the reliablilty of that damn turbo 4cyl and its fairly easy/inexpensive to get 400+hp on a stock block.

That's why they make the Clubman, it actually has a backseat ;)

The Man With The Plan
March 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The only problem with the Clubman is that it is brand-new. I don't feel like paying for the depreciation of a new car for this instance.

New plan is to hold out for a killer deal on a Cooper S, or JCW Mini, keep the Subie for weekends and track days. Of course, that means the Subie is pretty much a dedicated track car now...:evil:

Hippie
March 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
The only problem with the Clubman is that it is brand-new. I don't feel like paying for the depreciation of a new car for this instance.

New plan is to hold out for a killer deal on a Cooper S, or JCW Mini, keep the Subie for weekends and track days. Of course, that means the Subie is pretty much a dedicated track car now...:evil:

you'll love how the Mini handles and they can be built and still reliable - our 2004 S is pushing 205 hp and just turned 100K miles 205 does not sound like much but it only weighs in at just over 2k :D ( I did do just a small amount of work too it though:D) you can get more out of them it just costs more. I personally know someone on So Cal running 360HP in a Cooper S:eek:.

The Man With The Plan
March 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
360 through the front wheels must feel a little sketchy! I'll be leaving this one alone so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to keep running.

Colo.TJ
March 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'll be leaving this one alone so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to keep running.

:lmao:

cheftyler
March 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM

The Countryman is brand new. The Clubman is not, Clubman has slightly longer wheelbase, little half doors behind the driver and passenger doors and the split doors in the rear vs the hatch.

sonofmayhem
March 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM
360 through the front wheels must feel a little sketchy! I'll be leaving this one alone so it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to keep running.

I bet you $2,000,000 that you are lying :flipoff2:

The Man With The Plan
March 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Possible new plan: sell Subie, get BMW 1 ///M!!

cheftyler
March 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Like this!

scottycards
March 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Like this!

X2!

Jake_Blues
March 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Ugh... 47k for a souped up Honda-looking thing? Pass ;) For the same price you could have a 1-2 year old M3. Or a 4-5 year old 911...

-E

K2
March 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Soon to be gainfully employed, with a 45 minute commute. Been looking at high MPG commuter cars, with a mini Cooper high on the list. Then my wife drops the bomb..."Why don't you sell the Subaru and get a Porsche?" God, I love her!

Anywho, I'm looking for opinions on trackable cars that get decent mileage. By decent i mean anything over 25 mpg highway. The only catch is that I need to be able to carry 2 kids. Is there anything out there less than $40k that fits the bill?

RX8, M3, 911, RS4...?

Reliability is a factor, as is cost of repair. I'd love to get a 993, but anything Porsche will be an arm and a leg to fix.

You want to spend no more than $40K to save 10mpg? If this is just a justification to get a new car fine, but sorry the math is not in your favor!

This

The Man With The Plan
March 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Not exactly, I'd sell the subie, dump the $$ + extra to get something I could drive every day. Then it becomes feasible. If I keep the Subie, I'm looking at no more than $15k.

New wrinkle in the plan...getting a 1M is going to take a long time. Each dealership is allotted one, and of course they are all spoken for. :mad:

Mcstiff
March 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
This (http://www2.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39740&view=unread#unread) could be a fun thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZla6EpCeR4

scottycards
March 12th, 2011, 05:44 AM
If you sell that Subie, TMWTP, you're insane.

That car is something else. I'm still shaking my head.

Violently fast. Holy Mother of God that thing is fast.

The Man With The Plan
March 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
If you sell that Subie, TMWTP, you're insane.

That car is something else. I'm still shaking my head.

Violently fast. Holy Mother of God that thing is fast.

:evil: Filled up yesterday and calculated my mileage at about 13 MPG. If I can do a couple commutes without blasting it, I think it will be over 16. E85 was $2.89/gal yesterday, 91 was $3.49-ish. So I saved $6 in my 10-gallon fill up. Or, approximately 20% cheaper. A 20% increase in fuel economy over 16 MPG would be about 20 MPG. So, you could say my equivalent economy in 91 octane prices would be 20 MPG. I think I need to pursue a conservative 91 octane tune to see if I can squeeze 25 MPG out of it. My ecu does have map switching, so I could keep the e85 for track days. Or, I could see if Harvey can make an efficient e85 tune. Hmmmm, options.

timsjeep
March 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
this may sound silly to most of you, but have you ever driven a modified VW TDI? They are lots of fun and surprising quick when chipped. You will have no trouble getting 40-50 MPG and there are lots of options for handling and style. I have a 98 Jetta TDI with 300k on the clock and it still gets 40 MPG and is a blast to drive. ITS NOT AN STI, but its still a great commuter car that turns heads when I leave the lights. Tim

The Man With The Plan
March 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM
ITS NOT AN STI,

That's the part that's hard to live with. ;) I've got my car broker trolling for a cheap commuter for now. Then, when the 2012 1-Series M Coupe is out (for THOUSANDS less than the '11 model), I may order one and sell the subie and commuter. But, I may not. Gotta see if I can stand my new job for that long. :flipoff2:

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
April 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1135149

http://www.upscaleswagger.com/2011/03/21/porsche-911-is-the-most-reliable-sports-car/

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Porsche-911-Is-Most-Reliable-Car-In-Germany.html

The Man With The Plan
April 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
There you go throwing logic into an argument!

I no longer have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. They're both devils. One named Stuttgart, and one names Zuffenhausen. They bear a striking resemblance to Scottycards and Cole.

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
April 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
That Stuttgart devil bit me hard.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5641026540_d00586eb74_b_d.jpg

Mcstiff
April 27th, 2011, 11:18 PM
HA! Nice Cole! Is the 928 a manual?

Xtremjeepn-Cole Ford
April 28th, 2011, 06:03 AM
No. It's an auto. Finding a clean 5 speed was proving to be difficult.