PDA

View Full Version : 'Bout done with this dang truck!

The Man With The Plan
February 24th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Just got home and my truck threw a P1740 code. Torque converter clutch or OD solenoid performance. Quick search shows that this is pretty common with aftermarket torque converters. The tranny has not been shifting too well lately. Hauled my rig to KOH and it DID NOT like shifting in the passes at all ('06 CRD, two crawlers on the trailer, 50,000 miles, BD tranny re-built by Rob @ Performance Car and Truck). From the quick web search I did, it appears that the code itself is no big deal. Everybody seems to just clear it every time it comes back. I'm more concerned about the shuttle-shift that keeps happening.

All this while Rob is serving in the Air Force! Can't blame the guy for answering the call of duty, but it sucks to be me. ;)

So, I guess my piont is, does anybody know a shop (other than ATS) that has a Star-Scan and knows this tranny? I'm pretty close to just trading it in and going back to a Duramax.

osue077
February 24th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Doug at Colorado transmission and Diesel in Brighton does.

Chris Halvorson
February 24th, 2011, 11:58 PM
What are your mods? You sure have had your fair share of issues with autos. Rob gave you a warranty right?

The Man With The Plan
February 25th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he'll warranty it, but he's still on active duty for a couple more months. Not sure I want to wait that long.

As for mods, I've got an intake, exhaust, bullydog, and the transmission.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chris Halvorson
February 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Well that doesn't seem like anything that would tear up a "built" transmission.

PM sent.

tjjared413
February 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
dang man that sucks! about time to get that dmax :flipoff2: let me know if you need any help man you have my number

Impaired
February 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he'll warranty it, but he's still on active duty for a couple more months. Not sure I want to wait that long.

As for mods, I've got an intake, exhaust, bullydog, and the transmission.

pull the plug on that tranny and see if you have a christmas tree of shavings on it.

You have the same set up as we had in one of our 2006 automatic dodges and by the 3rd tranny with upgraded TC we changed the fluid and traded it in for a duramax. That dodge only had maybe 50,000 miles on it at most if I remember right. I say cut your losses.

Rex Ashton
February 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Jon, sent you a PM.

lj06
February 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
i have customer with 06 crd he has 125k on his He also pulls a A300 bobcat 3-4 days a week year round and snow plows has never had a problem other than #6 injector 3k miles ago
how fast are you trying to pull this trailer
what size tires are you running
how much does the truck &trailer weight with all equipment &jeeps ready to run down the road

The Man With The Plan
February 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I guestimated the weight to be in the 12000 lb range. Truck shifts badly without a load too. 35" tires.

The Man With The Plan
March 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Left a message at Rob's number the other day. The outgoing message was different than the last time I called. It's only been 2 days, so I'm not too worried yet. The way I figure it, the guy is in the Air Force helping protect us, and has to shut down his business for the better part of a year, so the least I can do is be patient! :thumbsup:

Chris Halvorson
March 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
He will be back in CO after August...

The Man With The Plan
March 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Originally it was may, I thought.

Chris Halvorson
March 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Let me re-verify.

Grant H.
March 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
So you are towing with oversize tires and power adders?

That better be one hell of a built tranny to last very long at all...

Since there seems to be a lot of the "fan-boy hate" for ATS on here, call up Goerend or Sun Coast (Suncoast is a bunch of pricks but decent trannys).

The Man With The Plan
March 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
It is still over-geared IMO. And the tranny is built, just needs programming, I think.

Grant H.
March 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Best programming for the trannys out there right now is with the ATS Co-pilot.

Most of the pulling or drag trucks use them for Trans management. The 6.7L that ran a 10.90 in my link in here a few days ago uses the Co-pilot to keep his 48RE together.

The Man With The Plan
March 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Code came back today. :mad: Still no word from Rob, understandable, but I'm kinda' stuck.

Chris Halvorson
March 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Jon,

PM me your number and a message, and I will get it to him tonight.

The Man With The Plan
March 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
pm'd. Thanks!

Chris Halvorson
March 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
No problem.

Grant gave you some good advice too....

The Man With The Plan
March 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Funny thing is, I stopped by ATS on Saturday to ask them about the issue and the Co-Pilot. They were setting up for some KBPI Metal Shop deal, so there were people all over, but nobody inside the show-room. I walked around, grabbed a card, and went home. Could've made off with some hardware had I the inclination! ;)

hightimes2
March 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
even when they're not doing anything at the shop it's still hard to get help sometimes lol

Rex Ashton
March 15th, 2011, 10:39 PM
even when they're not doing anything at the shop it's still hard to get help sometimes lolUnfortunately, way too many of these stories :shrug:

It's hard to understand why a major (nationwide) diesel shop would have so many fail stories. A friend of mind just burned his 12v motor from some "tweaks" they made. I don't get it.

However, Don't know of anyone that has a product that competes with their Co-Pilot. :confused: --- Guessing they have one now for the 68RFE? Any alternatives?

:shrug:

Grant H.
March 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately, way too many of these stories :shrug:

It's hard to understand why a major (nationwide) diesel shop would have so many fail stories. A friend of mind just burned his 12v motor from some "tweaks" they made. I don't get it.

However, Don't know of anyone that has a product that competes with their Co-Pilot. :confused: --- Guessing they have one now for the 68RFE? Any alternatives?

:shrug:

Not the same level of control or tuning, but for your 68 you have:

H&S Overdrive - seems to help and I like H&S, but it is not a competitor to the Co-pilot. They just don't have the same goal in mind.
B&G Tuning - Has the same issues as H&S, but has been reported to not be as effective, or as good, as the Overdrive software. These reviews are from guys that bought B&Gs tuning first and then moved to Overdrive since they were not getting what they were promised by B&G.
ATS Co-pilot - Seems to be top dog when it comes to helping the 68rfe out without going to a $10,000 race 68rfe.

Ran '07 on CF.com picked up the Co-pilot for one of his work trucks (6.7/68rfe) and said that it made an unbelievable difference in the way the trans behaves.

He has a 48 in his drag 6.7L drag truck.

I know there are stories about "my brother", "my friend", and "my sisters monkeys uncles friend" had a bad experience with ATS, but more often than not, if you ask if they have any personal experience, the truth is no and they are just repeating what they heard.

ATS has had their issues, but they do a hell of a job with diesel pickups, and most of the "problem" employees were removed by Clint when he cleaned house. There is a fan club of hating ATS. Most of that fan clubs members have never had a purple piece on their truck, but they will spew their hate for ATS louder than anyone else.

ETA - Can your friend prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that what ATS did is responsible for his 12V dying? What did he have them do?

The Man With The Plan
March 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Chris, you are THE MAN! Thanks so much! I actually like my truck again. First time in a while. :thumbsup: :beer:

J Kimmel
March 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
did you wash it :confused:

The Man With The Plan
March 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, kinda'. The electrical connectors to the tranny were all gummed up with mag chloride and $#!+. After hooking up the kick-ass Snap-On scanner, everything checked out as far as the computer went. Cracked the connectors and cleaned them up, then went for a test-drive up i70 to Floyd hill. Not a single shift issue. I'll open them up again tomorrow to throw some dielectric grease in there and seal them up as best I can.

Chris Halvorson
March 18th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Nice meeting you today Jon, glad you truck runs the way it should. Makes me almost want another 3rd gen....your truck is sweet!

Remember that Rob will be back in August, and will change out the broken connector at no charge.

If you have any more issues, feel free to call.

J Kimmel
March 19th, 2011, 08:16 AM
ya but...you can drink that stuff :confused: its perfectly safe.

great to hear its something simple :)

The Man With The Plan
March 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
ya but...you can drink that stuff :confused: its perfectly safe.

great to hear its something simple :)

On one hand I'm glad it was an easy fix. On the other hand, I feel like an I.D.-10T for letting something little like that p!$$ me off for months on end.

J Kimmel
March 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Without knowing anything about transmissions, I am certain I would be sweating an expensive rebuild if I was in your position ;)

Chris Halvorson
March 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sometimes troubleshooting a problem needs a outside eye. I fought with my Jeep for over 2 years, Digger fixed it up for me and now it runs great.

Be glad it was an easy simple fix. I have seen grown men cry in that shop when they get quotes for repair.:D

Hack XJ...YJ
March 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Glad you got your tow rig squared away. Going on a year now with my 99 ctd that I stole for 7k and just hit 225,000 on it. This is my first diesel and I loved it and hated it equally for the first few months. I've learned a ton about diesels and they are easy and great to work on as long as you have the right tools. That's no different than trying to daily drive a rig and wheel it on the weekend. I've reached the point from replacing parts that I like my truck more than any vehicle I have ever owned. I understand your frustrations with simple fixes on these tanks for sure...... THUMBS UP for ATS by the way.... Needed a new 47re and I was sick and didn't have time to put one in myself. Jason had me in and out in a day with a stage II and it's awsome. Gave me a great cash price and great customer service. I have a paid off brand new truck that gets 21 mpg and can pull a house down it's great. :beer:

cmd11
March 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM
Glad the issue was a simple one to fix. The outside eye is definitely a good point. Sometimes it easy to be blinded by the obvious.

3rd gens are a love/hate type of thing. The stupid things like the HVAC and the balljoints disappear from my mind when I am pulling floyd or eisenhowever with my toy hauler behind me and the truck is pulling like a freight train. It's a sweet sound.