PDA

View Full Version : LB7 guys need to read this it will save you $$$

tjjared413
February 22nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
ok so if you own a LB7 motor d-max you will want to keep this in mine for when you have an issue with your fuel filter housing…..

so on to the story, so I found out that my housing is by passing fuel internally and casing the system to leak down and not hold a vacuum there is a o-ring on the heater that I fill was the issue but you cannot order that o-ring from GM on the LB7 fuel filter housing I thought about trying to take it apart and find a o-ring but I did not want to risk have the other issue with it like cracking… so I placed a called to a good friend of mine that is on the western slope as he works for GM and he had him do some checking on a price for a new housing, he came back saying that they had one and he would sell it to me for $$$.$$ and retail was like 700.00 for the LB7, he wanted to pulled up the LLY parts list just to look at it and he said that the they look the same but the mounting tab and the hose locations where at a different. he sent me both part print outs for the LB7 and LLY and I did some calling around to see if anyone had one and found that Medved Chey. had the LLY housing in stock. so I ended up going home to pull the old housing off to bring it along to compare to mine to see if I could make this work. when I got there I work with a guy named Anthony and he was very interested in what I wanted to try to do and was more than happy to help me out. he grabbed the part and we compared the two and they mounting holes are the same that goes to the tab that goes to the block was the tab was not needed for this and the hose mounting angles are different as well which would require longer ones.. the good news is that it is all low psi 1/2 ID fuel hose and that is cheap. so I asked for 3 ft of hose and I took the LLY pump and some hose home and went to work .

so over all it went in with little work fitting the hose at the angles they need to run was the hard but over all I am very happy that I only have 172.XX in to the repair vs. 700.00 it was well worth the fight to get the hose in there and ran right for the savings…..

Ill post pics of this for you when I get home tonight!

ASCTLC
February 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Good info, thanks. Mine got replaced under warranty a few years ago but if it ever happens again...

Andy

Chris Halvorson
February 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Glad to see it worked out for you. Thanks for posting your findings.

moneypit
February 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Dmaxstore sells a rebuild kit for $60.00. And the viton orings are replaceable, just not from gm. Took like a 1/2 hr to do it. I went the same route from medved and about 2 weeks later the LLY housing started leaking from the primer pump...I ended up rebuilding my LB7 one. Good luck with yours...

ok so if you own a LB7 motor d-max you will want to keep this in mine for when you have an issue with your fuel filter housing…..

so on to the story, so I found out that my housing is by passing fuel internally and casing the system to leak down and not hold a vacuum there is a o-ring on the heater that I fill was the issue but you cannot order that o-ring from GM on the LB7 fuel filter housing I thought about trying to take it apart and find a o-ring but I did not want to risk have the other issue with it like cracking… so I placed a called to a good friend of mine that is on the western slope as he works for GM and he had him do some checking on a price for a new housing, he came back saying that they had one and he would sell it to me for $$$.$$ and retail was like 700.00 for the LB7, he wanted to pulled up the LLY parts list just to look at it and he said that the they look the same but the mounting tab and the hose locations where at a different. he sent me both part print outs for the LB7 and LLY and I did some calling around to see if anyone had one and found that Medved Chey. had the LLY housing in stock. so I ended up going home to pull the old housing off to bring it along to compare to mine to see if I could make this work. when I got there I work with a guy named Anthony and he was very interested in what I wanted to try to do and was more than happy to help me out. he grabbed the part and we compared the two and they mounting holes are the same that goes to the tab that goes to the block was the tab was not needed for this and the hose mounting angles are different as well which would require longer ones.. the good news is that it is all low psi 1/2 ID fuel hose and that is cheap. so I asked for 3 ft of hose and I took the LLY pump and some hose home and went to work .

so over all it went in with little work fitting the hose at the angles they need to run was the hard but over all I am very happy that I only have 172.XX in to the repair vs. 700.00 it was well worth the fight to get the hose in there and ran right for the savings…..

Ill post pics of this for you when I get home tonight!

tjjared413
February 23rd, 2011, 05:55 AM
i remember you posting about that part but non of the gm dealers sell it i could not find that part the day i need to get my truck running so i did what i needed to do.. i have 12 months warranty on the new part so it is what it is..

here are a few pics .....

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g453/Jared_Hanson/Picture949.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g453/Jared_Hanson/Picture950.jpg

new hose on the lt. side and the old hose on the rt. side

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g453/Jared_Hanson/Picture951.jpg