PDA

View Full Version : CTS Gauges- Which ones to monitor...

tyrant4
February 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM
what gauges are best to display and monitor on my edge cts....
currently using boost psi, EGT, fuel rail pressure, RPM, and intake temp...
thanks!

Chris Halvorson
February 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
That sounds good to me. I monitor lp pressure, boost, egt.

pluto
February 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
More than likely the EGT is the only one to worry about. How do you like that EFI live tuning. Did you get one of their dsp 5 pre programmed ECU's? Make sure you keep out of the hotter settings when pulling over the passes on I70. A lot of guys don't realize that towing up that steep of a grade for that long can get the EGT's up pretty good.

Rex Ashton
February 21st, 2011, 10:11 PM
^^^^^ ditto on what both those guys said ^^^^^

I'd monitor the same parameters as Chris for my top 3, but EGT is the important one to really watch. The higher the setting on your programmer, the higher the EGT's will tend to be when pulling.

tyrant4
February 21st, 2011, 10:19 PM
That sounds good to me. I monitor lp pressure, boost, egt.

lp pressure?

pluto i'll report back on the pre-programmed ECM, i haven't played with it much yet. and this Insight CTS is my dsp switch...

whats too high for EGTs?

thanks again for the input guys

Loki
February 21st, 2011, 10:36 PM
lp pressure?

pluto i'll report back on the pre-programmed ECM, i haven't played with it much yet. and this Insight CTS is my dsp switch...

whats too high for EGTs?

thanks again for the input guys

LP = lift pump

I try to keep an eye on mine and back out of it at 1300F.

RICO
February 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Don't forget trans temp if you have an auto. I'd say that's second behind egt's.

tyrant4
February 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
so finally got some free time to play with my efi live tunes....wow do i love the 80hp sport economy tune. My truck turned into a beast and is running great! cant wait to see if i get any mpg gains. I haven't loaded the jeep and hooked up the trailer yet to try the towing tunes with the turbine brake but ill post about those when they come too...

pool boy
February 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I have the same tuner on my 04.5 dura and monitor boost, Egt, vane poss, Trans temp and shift indicator.

tyrant4
February 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have the same tuner on my 04.5 dura and monitor boost, Egt, vane poss, Trans temp and shift indicator.

what exactly is vane poss?

pool boy
February 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Vane position tells you what pitch your turbo vanes are at. Starting with the LLY duramax they have a variable vane(pitch) turbo instead of a wastegate. the computer controls what pitch the vanes are to control boost and can flatten them out to create a lot of back pressure to act like an exhaust brake.