PDA

View Full Version : No Crank, 2000 f350 7.3 (not no start)

Janky
February 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Batteries are maybe 3 months old, alt is about a year. Truck started great this morning and drove to the office without problem. Went to start it and all I get is a click from the area if the solenoid. With the key on I bypassed the solenoid with a jumper cable, no luck. I tried to bypass it all with a jumper cable a run power to the starter, had no luck.

I am thinking bad starter at this point, taking my test light to the office so I can test it tomorrow. Any ideas before I throw money at it?

I know the 7.3 has two solenoids, the second one being on the starter. Should be able to see where I an loosing power(if I am) tomorrow with tools.

I hate leaving my truck at the office and I can't drive my Jeep when it is this cold..... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Remember, it is no crank, not no start... I have done quite a bit of work on the GP system, but the crank isn't even Turing over yet.
Thanks!

CSP
February 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Probably the starter. If you have it tested at Napa in Parker make sure they spin it over for more than a few seconds to see the amperage draw. They treat them like gasser starters and don't spin them long enough on their machine.

Big Dave
February 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Sounds like the starter to me too.

osue077
February 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Did you hammer on it, the starter that is?

Janky
February 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Did you hammer on it, the starter that is?
Ya, I did. Keep in mind I was just leaving work and did not have access to my tools... I did get under there with a crowbar and tap on the starter while my buddy was trying to start it.

No love. :(

pitbull
February 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Short out the Sol. on the starter to make sure it isn't an upstream elect. prob.
Like a bad a safety switch, relay or fuse....

Joe