PDA

View Full Version : CB's in tow rigs?

SBIUnlimited
January 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone got em? If so what kind and any pics of antenna set ups?

I put one in the Jeep a few years back and really liked it when driving long distances....especially in rough weather. Looking to put one in the new Dodge but not sure what set up to go with, where to mount, where to put antennas on outside.....etc.

Thoughts? Thx

CLYDE
January 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Have a galaxy in mine with a single 4 ft francis whip on a mirror mount. Great talking radio even when it was bone stock. Its an even better radio with a little peak-n-tweak.

ScaldedDog
January 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I put one in our Excursion years ago. The antenna is mounted just like the AM/FM antenna, and in the same relative position but on the other side, like this:

http://www.scaldeddog.com/images/X-CB-antenna-mount.jpg

The 2' Wilson Silver Load shown was really hard to tune that close to the A pillar, so I've since swapped in a 4' whip. Works great.

Mark

Big Dave
January 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I run a 5' FireStik out of the bed on my F250, with some cheapie Cobra unit. Most of my CB use in the tow rig is short distance, so I didn't need anything crazy.

daveshan
January 12th, 2011, 09:54 PM
F-250 with a Uniden 520XL Pro mounted to the back of the center console, 3' firestix on an extended mirror mount to clear the side of the camper.

I only use it when traveling in caravan with other tow rigs, and I may keep it on 19 when traveling highways alone. Very nice to have when the guy in back has to stop for fuel or a 10-100.

BumperMan
January 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I run a Cobra in mine with dual 5' firesticks mounted to the toolbox. I'll see if I have a pic when I get home.

Cresso
January 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I haven't set up anything permanent in my truck. Whenever I was rolling with a convoy, I would take an old radio shack CB with a cigarette adapter and lay it on the center console. I used a mag mount antenna with the coax run through the rear sliding window. It was a little ghetto, but it has worked fine for what I need. If I were to mount it permanently, I'd put it where Mark did on his Excursion.

COcummins
January 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I have a Cobra 29 classic mounted from the roof of the cab, just behind the rear view mirror. I'm using a 102" steel whip from radioshack($20) mounted halfway up the side of my headache rack on a spring. This isn't a tunable antenna because of the length. I have an almost perfect SWR reading (~1.2) with pretty good range and clear sound. I'll be matching this setup in my crawler when it gets finished in 2035.

J Kimmel
January 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I got a Super Cobra AudioBox with 4 12' firesticks in the bed. I've also got them tied into the mudflaps for better range.

ScaldedDog
January 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I got a Super Cobra AudioBox with 4 12' firesticks in the bed. I've also got them tied into the mudflaps for better range.

I thought I heard you the other night...

Are you going to CM11? What trails?

Mark

SBIUnlimited
January 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Huh? Tied into the mud flaps...... Enlighten me on this.... I'm not following ya?

SBIUnlimited
January 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have a Cobra 29 classic mounted from the roof of the cab, just behind the rear view mirror. I'm using a 102" steel whip from radioshack($20) mounted halfway up the side of my headache rack on a spring. This isn't a tunable antenna because of the length. I have an almost perfect SWR reading (~1.2) with pretty good range and clear sound. I'll be matching this setup in my crawler when it gets finished in 2035.

So....since I have the ST trim level.....I don't have any of the "stuff" hanging from the roof....just a smooth spot on the headliner. Anyone know what's under that....without tearing out the headliner....it looks like I could hang a radio from the roof in this spot. The SLT models have a compartment up there for sunglasses etc...I think. Anyone got ideas if I could do this??

J Kimmel
January 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM
ya you tie the connectors together and bridge them through the metal mudflap hangers, the mag chloride in the winter really helps distance and it helps widen the signal to the width of the truck.

no CM for me Mark :(

bad news, have to go to a wedding

good news, its in Mexico :)

BumperMan
January 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
So....since I have the ST trim level.....I don't have any of the "stuff" hanging from the roof....just a smooth spot on the headliner. Anyone know what's under that....without tearing out the headliner....it looks like I could hang a radio from the roof in this spot. The SLT models have a compartment up there for sunglasses etc...I think. Anyone got ideas if I could do this??

I mounted mine down by my right leg to the cup holder thing in my 06.

caveman
January 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I Used this for my 01

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CB_MOUNT_0305W
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CB_MOUNT_0305N

1BADCJ8
January 27th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I use a Uniden... Dont kow the modle off the top of my head but its a big bastard :D. I use it with a 2ft-er mounted to the mirror arm of my SuperDuty...

It works quite well and I only use it when on a trip, going with other wheelers, or when traffic is jacked on I-70.

1BADCJ8
January 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Thats pretty sweet! How did you mount it? Is the an antenna mount some where under there or did you drill into the inner body?

I put one in our Excursion years ago. The antenna is mounted just like the AM/FM antenna, and in the same relative position but on the other side, like this:

http://www.scaldeddog.com/images/X-CB-antenna-mount.jpg

The 2' Wilson Silver Load shown was really hard to tune that close to the A pillar, so I've since swapped in a 4' whip. Works great.

Mark

GM4X4LOVER
January 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I use a Uniden... Dont kow the modle off the top of my head but its a big bastard :D. I use it with a 2ft-er mounted to the mirror arm of my SuperDuty...

It works quite well and I only use it when on a trip, going with other wheelers, or when traffic is jacked on I-70.

this is the exact set up i use on my SuperDuty. I have some cheap uniden I got from a pawnshop and a pair of 3' antenna's I got on sale at a flying J. it works great gives me about a 10 mile range or so.

ScaldedDog
January 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Thats pretty sweet! How did you mount it? Is the an antenna mount some where under there or did you drill into the inner body?

Thanks man. IIRC, the only thing I drilled was the plastic wiper cover, and I had to remove it, anyway. The mount itself is just screwed into the sheet metal below, and tweaked a little to match the tilt of the AM/FM antenna.

Mark

1BADCJ8
January 29th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Cool :cool: I like it...

Thanks man. IIRC, the only thing I drilled was the plastic wiper cover, and I had to remove it, anyway. The mount itself is just screwed into the sheet metal below, and tweaked a little to match the tilt of the AM/FM antenna.

Mark

SBIUnlimited
March 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
........so here are a couple snaps of the radio install on the new CTD.

Uniden PC78 Elite- Peaked and Tuned...Thx John!
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/IMG_0115.jpg

Hustler 38" antenna.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/IMG_0118.jpg

Ran the coax thru the front corner of the bed, under the cab, into the cab thru and access hole under the back seat, along the door edge and to the radio. Power and ground directly to driver side battery thru main wire bootie in firewall. Getting to the panel that I mounted the radio to was interesting, as the dealer had no diagrams on how the dash is even put together. Pretty easy once you know what you are supposed to unscrew.....but had to take the entire dash and center console apart. Was a little un-nerving at first.
http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/IMG_0113.jpg

Peejtj
March 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM
That is a very clean install! Who tuned your radio?

SBIUnlimited
March 30th, 2011, 11:42 AM
CB Shop at Johnson's Corner. Paul is a great guy!!

Cresso
March 30th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CB radio thread must have been auto-pruned....

Wasn't auto pruned, nor even locked. You may want to expand the filter at the bottom of the page, though...the default setting for this forum is to only show you the last month's worth of posts.

SBIUnlimited
March 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Wasn't auto pruned, nor even locked. You may want to expand the filter at the bottom of the page, though...the default setting for this forum is to only show you the last month's worth of posts.

10-4 Will do. Thx for consolidating......if that was you. :thumbsup: