PDA

View Full Version : Weird Radio issue on 06 ram cummins

BumperMan
January 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Okay, so over the past couple of months my radio will not come on when I start the truck. No power, no clock etc. The only way to get it to work is to just wait until it has decided that it is okay to work. Sometime it is the next time I start it, sometimes it takes a couple of times.

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins with factory AF/FM/CD.

Any ideas? I am now off to google.

BumperMan
January 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/radio-intermittently-not-working-t231200p2.html

Seems it may be the batteries. I knew they were getting towards the end of their lives, but I am not ready to replace them. Crap crap crap.

Camp
January 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I just replaced the batteries on my '95 last week. I got a pretty decent price on a set at the Napa in Louisville. I know that isn't anywhere close to you but, it might be work checking prices at Napa. My mistake was, my truck only called for 925 CCA. Get batteries with something around 1150 CCA. Not that I've had a problem yet but, that is part of the reason they were cheaper than I expected to pay.

Oscar
January 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM
That doesn't make a lot of sence.

Dave McDonald
January 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Maybe if the batteries get too low during cranking, the ECM shuts off accessory circuts to make sure they get recharged?

clemsonkrawler
January 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I just replaced the factory batteries in my 06 dodge. I went with a pair of interstates at $110 ea from napa.

Volcom
January 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
My 06's batteries are on their last leg as well. Some have good luck with the stock batteries but others only get a couple of years out of them. Mine had a workout this morning. Pulled it in and didn't realize that the outlet it was plugged into had tripped the breaker earlier while running the air compressor :rolleyes:

Went to start it this morning and it barely cranked. I think it got down to -5 last night. It did fire right over.

chester70
January 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Ugh i still have the originals in my 05 but I haven't had any radio problems or problem starting....but i suppose that won't be far off.

The Man With The Plan
January 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I had this problem a couple of times on my '06 as well. It was a couple of years ago though. Took it to the dealership, problem gone.

If it happens again, and if you have the time, try disconnecting both batteries for a few minutes to reset the ECU.

502RamJet
January 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
The batteries in my '01 Dodge 2500 are still kickin' right along, I should replace them before they force me to at some inconvenient time.

BumperMan
January 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe if the batteries get too low during cranking, the ECM shuts off accessory circuts to make sure they get recharged?

Acutally from my reading, it is that they are holding too many volts. Does not follow logic, but who knows on these new fancy pants rigs.

wesjrock
January 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM
My 93 cummins does a simmiler thing every once in a while like it'll happen for a week and it wont happen for another 3 months its super weird, so if you figure it out lplease post it up i will be watching