PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobiling

jeepn4evr
November 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
So there is a possiblity one maybe more of my brother in laws & their wives might come out in Jan or Feb for a long weekend. It has been batted around to possibly have some fun with snowmobiles. Problem is I have never done this so not sure where to go.

Some facts to help with recomendations:

I have never done this but brother in laws have, although they aren't experts. I ride my street bike quit a bit so am geussing this is similar to riding a bike. None of us would really want to do 8 full hours in a day probably more like 4 -6 including loading & unloading the sleds, not including drive time.

Wives would possibly go along & (no offense) but like most women would get cold & bored faster than guys

None of us has much money so unless we find a SMOKING deal on lodging somewehre (as in free or $50 a night per couple) it would be a leave early on Sat morn & return that evening deal so closer to Denver the better if thats possible. Also since it will most likely be a long weekend thing not sure if we would have more than 1 day for this fun

We would have to rent at least 3 sleds for us & maybe more if my dad or bro in law that lives here decided to go too. I found a place here in town that rents for 2 sleds & a trailer for $400 for the weekend (Fri after noon pickup Monday return). I have acces to a flatbed trailer I could get 4 sleds on & one in the bed of my truck if needed it. He has 2 - 2 person sleds but would need to find at least one more 2 person if all the wives went.

Finally one bro in law & wife have never been to CO but the other & his wife have & they love it

So what is out there?

jeepn4evr
November 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
OH almost forgot reason I am asking so far ahead of time is that when we go there for Christmas if I have good info then it might be easier to convince them to come & play

CSP
November 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I'd suggest going to the snowmobiles that are for rent vs. hauling them into the mountains.

Grand Lake & Summit County both have lots of rental outfits. Grand Lake is probably the most friendly to those who have never done it before. Lots of groomed trails that leave right from the snowmobile shops.

mikel
November 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
The place up on Freemont Pass is ok. Typical tourist stuff. You go out for about 2hrs. That time includes a stop for hot chocolate. You can go for longer times.

There is also a place in Winter Park very close to the slopes, almost across the street. It has some decent trails. It's crowded on the weekends. Haven't been there since the snow train stopped running.

The best place I've been is a ranch outside of Steam Boat on the way to Craig. This place is awesome with some long trails and an area where they let you go have fun. They also have a fairly large tubing hill with several different runs.

GreenRubi
November 23rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
This one is called on the trail for a reason. They are literally right at the base of the trail system at grand lake. On a clear day about 2-2 1/2hrs from denver (weekends are a crapshoot with ski traffic). The trail system is groomed and well marked, for the newbies, with a nice amount of ungroomed playgrounds for the more experienced riders. Grand Lake has some fairly reasonably priced lodging ( under 50 might be a stretch). When I was renting this was the place. They are rent and go as well, not a guided tour.

http://www.onthetrailrentals.com/winter/sleds.php

TwistedObsession
November 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'd agree with the On The Trail Rentals suggestion. If you can swing it I'd get all single sleds. You'll probably both have a bad time ridding 2 up as beginners unless all you want to do is cruise around on the groomed trails. With the stuff they offer I'd go with the Crossfire 6 for the guys and the 550 MXZ for the girls or the Crossfires if you think some of the girls might want to get out and play off the trails. Just don't try to get the big track sleds they offer, you'll be over the whole thing after about an hour trying to get it through the trees while you're learning to ride.

vb
November 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
http://wycololodge.com/

my favorite place

Ranger4sale
December 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Closest you will find to rent at the site is http://www.grandadventures.com/ It's the one mikel mentioned. Groomed trails, great views and usually good snow. I have been riding that area from a public trailhead for about 10 years on and off and it is great for all skill levels. They do guided and unguided rentals 1/2 or full day.

Project-Outlaw
December 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Im interested in this topic, I have my own sled but am looking for a place to ride.

I know the names of where I can ride but no site offers corrdinates or directions.

Maybe you all can help with places closet to the SPrings?

Thanks
Tony

mckinney
December 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Get an extra sled and I will show you all kinds of places in Summit County that rock :thumbsup:

It just ahs to be a 600 or better:D otherwisw I would not have enough fun.

Project-Outlaw
December 16th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Is summit county pretty much the closest place to ride in relation to the Springs?

Psychoneurosis
December 17th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Is summit county pretty much the closest place to ride in relation to the Springs?

Think you should join a club.... I did and I have never looked back. Riding places that even locals are not aware of and we always have hands to help with the stucks

http://www.snowmobilecolo.com/content.aspx?page_id=225&club_id=45117

Project-Outlaw
December 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Sent that club an EMAIL thank you so much for the link pyscho!

CSP
December 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Cottonwood Pass, just west of Buena Vista is closer than Summit County and is one of my favorite places to ride.

Psychoneurosis
December 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Sent that club an EMAIL thank you so much for the link pyscho!

Glad to help and let us know how you make out

Sandman XJ a.k.a Steven
December 27th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Nova Guides out of Camp Hale has some nice sleds and some fun areas to ride.