PDA

View Full Version : 04 PSD sliders/well steps anyway

dcastell
November 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
The girlfriend was grumpy this weekend. She thinks that sending me to the garage is a punishment. LOL. So I decided to build some step bars/sliders on the tow rig for some stress relief. I have had no luck selling the truck. Not really try hard with the price of new diesels. I don't want huge payments again.

These are designed just for step in and minor off roading (Cabin Drive way). I don't plan on taking this truck offroad. EVER. I used the mounting points that ford uses for thier little aluminum steps. I thought that I would have to make some brackets to the frame with bushings, but I jumped up and down on them and they turned out pretty solid. I alot better than stock and tucked up higher.

Material.

2x4 1/4 tube. 72 inches. Free from demo at my new office I am building
1.75 120 HREW

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tranny/P1010100.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tranny/P1010102.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tranny/P1010109.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tranny/P1010111.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/wampam/Tranny/P1010113.jpg

Going to stop by the skate board shop and pickup some sand tape material.

REDXJ99
November 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Home Depot and Lowe's also has the "grip tape" stuff as well... Comes in rolls of 20ft i think. I used some on my sliders and love it so I don't bust my ass on in getting in and out of the Jeep when its wet.

DAVE

TJRecreation
November 22nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
I am planning on building a set for my Super Duty as well. I was going to use 1/8 1.5" angle iron to connect to the factory mounting holes and then weld to 2x6" 14 gauge box steel. I was worried about too much weight, but it sounds like the factory mounting is pretty stout. What do you think?

dcastell
November 22nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I would step up the 1/8 to at least a 1/4 on the angle. I think the most critical part is having a flat plate that runs behind the back side of the stock mount locations. I just sandwiched the metal. Not sure that makes sense.

sonofmayhem
November 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Win!

Metalhed
November 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Super Nice!!

dcastell
November 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
They worked great this weekend. Can't really screw them up though. Went to moab and back and made it nice to jump up in out without have to pull a hammy. Anybody want to buy my 20's and 39.5s?

My girfriend really appreciated the steps. I was surprised with the slush that I really did not slip at all on the bars. It took a while to remember that they were there when jumping out.

My duratrack Goodyears rocked in the snow storm from hell on Wednesday. Towing back at 315's with all terrain traction is where it is at.

MDert
December 4th, 2010, 09:34 AM
They worked great this weekend. Can't really screw them up though. Went to moab and back and made it nice to jump up in out without have to pull a hammy. Anybody want to buy my 20's and 39.5s?

My girfriend really appreciated the steps. I was surprised with the slush that I really did not slip at all on the bars. It took a while to remember that they were there when jumping out.

My duratrack Goodyears rocked in the snow storm from hell on Wednesday. Towing back at 315's with all terrain traction is where it is at.

Saw your tow rig and toy at the exit to Hells Revenge on Friday afternoon. Where were you at? Oh nice steps BTW.

dcastell
December 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I was at the escalator, tubs, and tip over. We went in the back way, but I broke the output....again on the toyota.

drz400smoto
December 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Looks sweet, I might have to make some of those if I can take a welding class again at CSU. Id like to mount them to the frame so they would be 100% functional if I do get in a sketchy spot on the trail and for being able to use my highlift on my truck.
So you are pretty happy with those tires? Thinking of getting some for the 4runner in the spring.

dcastell
December 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
THe duratracs did great in the snow while towing. Not really going to take my diesel off road. I only have one trip on the tires and the truck is parked for the winter.

Volcom
December 6th, 2010, 08:45 AM
but I broke the output....again on the toyota.

Ugh, that sucks. Too much traction on the slickrock with the 47's? Was that your first time out in Moab with the 4Runner on 47's?

YJgirl
December 6th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Ooooh! I likey!!! I've been looking for something like this to put on Jake, the F550.

dcastell
December 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Ugh, that sucks. Too much traction on the slickrock with the 47's? Was that your first time out in Moab with the 4Runner on 47's?

Nope. Jeep safari I ran Green Day backwards, Heldarado, pritchett and the likes with no problems. This last trip I did potato salad hill, green day, and other trails before we went up the back way to Hells revenge. I litterally did it in two wheel squeel. Going up the little dirt road on the back side. I have no clue what happened. I have not even pulled the case apart yet. Waiting for parts to come. 30-30 chromoly from Marlin.

Chris Halvorson
December 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Nice work on the sliders...amazing what we can do when sent to the garage!!