PDA

View Full Version : G2 Ring and pinion install kit bolts

dwcustoms
November 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM
First off I did my own install on my ARB and gears in my Grand Cherokee so I take FULL credit for not catching this problem before it left me stuck on the side of a hill in Gunnison. I was climbing a fairly steep grade nice and easy when we heard the distinctive metallic sound of something break in the rear end. The front wheels started spinning and the rears were doing nothing. At first I though I broke the pinion gear. We slowly babied it back to camp and pulled the cover to reveal that all 10 of my ring gear bolts had fallen out! Needless to say I was happy it was not broken gears or that one of the bolts had not locked up my rear end at 80 miles an hour on the highway. I got home and looked at the stock ring gear bolts and they are 1" bolts where as the ones in the G2 gear install kit I got from 4 Wheel parts are only 3/4". That and the ARB carrier flange is thicker than stock only left a few threads to hold the torque. Even with thread locker and proper torque they just backed out. Moral of the story is check your ring gear bolts if you have one of those G2 install kits.

Bent axle
March 31st, 2011, 05:29 AM
I too installed a G2 ring gear kit from 4 wheel parts and horrible quality , not enough shims. never by any thing G2 again.

zoriloco
April 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Horrible Quality as in they broke?