PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak When on block heater (Solved)

BumperMan
November 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
My 06 CTD seems to be leaking coolant when it is hooked up to the block heater. Anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything obvious.

Chris Halvorson
November 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Have you ever pulled away with the cord still hooked up?

BumperMan
November 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Nope, and I have it zip tied in several places just in case. Just installed it last year (the cord) and have only used it a hand ful of times.

Did some reading online, and didn't find much. Gonna check all my hose clamps As soon as I have the time.

CSP
November 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Where's the leak coming from?

Oscar
November 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Has your bumper ever fallen off?

cbassYJ
November 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
If it's the screw in type, it's probably loose and needs to be tightened. If it's the clamp type, buy another one. They're easy to replace. Or, there is a possibility of a crack next to the freeze plug on the block. Fords are notorious for it. I used to install block heaters.

ZJROCKRIG
November 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
If this helps or not, it needs to be checked anyway. On the back passenger side of the engine where the heater hose passes under the exhaust manifold and is connected to the hardline is a common spot for leaks. The clamp comes loose. It is a little tricky to get a 5/16" socket and extension on to tighten it. (This is pretty close to where the block heater is installed IIRC).

I about had a fit when I thought my '07 had a tranny leak. Turns out it was that heater hose line leaking it's red coolant down the bell housing.

Oh and since you are under the truck, check the A/C wiring where it is routed around the compressor housing. Make sure it is not tight and rubbing on the housing. If it shorts out, it will cause all sorts of hate and discontent. :beer:

GM4X4LOVER
November 17th, 2010, 06:40 AM
If this helps or not, it needs to be checked anyway. On the back passenger side of the engine where the heater hose passes under the exhaust manifold and is connected to the hardline is a common spot for leaks. The clamp comes loose. It is a little tricky to get a 5/16" socket and extension on to tighten it. (This is pretty close to where the block heater is installed IIRC).

I about had a fit when I thought my '07 had a tranny leak. Turns out it was that heater hose line leaking it's red coolant down the bell housing.

Oh and since you are under the truck, check the A/C wiring where it is routed around the compressor housing. Make sure it is not tight and rubbing on the housing. If it shorts out, it will cause all sorts of hate and discontent. :beer:

Is that the hard line for the torque converter cooler? We have had to replace a few of those.

Volcom
November 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/315373-coolant-leak.html

My new to me 06 does the same exact thing. It's the small rubber hose near the turbo & the passenger side block. It drips down onto the tranny & off of the bottom of the bellhousing. I'm going to try and tighten the hose clamps. It that doesn't work, I buy the replacement hose and clamps.

BumperMan
November 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thank you Gents. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I will check it out and let you know what I find.

Volcom
November 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Another place to add a hose clamp while you're poking around.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/89031-3rd-gen-guys-check-your-hose-clamps.html

ROCKTACO
November 18th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My 07 started doing this as well. I found it to be a small hose (1/2" diameter 3" long) with white insulation wrapped around it just under the heater hose on the passenger side. Tightened up the hose clamp and it stoped.;)

Rex Ashton
November 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Has your bumper ever fallen off?
made me laugh :D

ZJROCKRIG
November 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Is that the hard line for the torque converter cooler? We have had to replace a few of those.

No, it goes to the heater core.

Budman, you figure it out yet? :beer:

BumperMan
November 22nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Been lazy. Just not plugging it in right now. Hopefully over the break

BumperMan
November 25th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Okay, finally got sick of it leaking on the driveway. did it this morning even thought it was not plugged in. Sure enough bottom hose clamp on that stupid heat wrapped hose was lose. Tightened it. Will plug it in tonight and see what happens.

BumperMan
November 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Plugged in last night, Not a drop of anitfreeze under the truck this mernin. Thanks for the input.

Volcom
November 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Plugged in last night, Not a drop of anitfreeze under the truck this mernin. Thanks for the input.

I gotta tighten mine up, it's leaking bad all over the driveway.