PDA

View Full Version : Riding parks

gmule
November 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM
With the north end of Rampart being closed for tree removal and snow starting to land in the higher elevations I have been contemplating joining one of the front range pay to ride places like Thunder Valley, Watkins etc. Anyone here have experience with them that they would like to share?

tomn
November 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Are you looking for a trail riding type place or track experience? Thunder Valley is purely a motocross park. It is a lot of fun but also a challenging track. You will be sharing the track with some novice riders on up to extremely fast pro riders. Never been to Watkins but I believe it's similar although not as big or challenging. There is a track in Berthoud which has some trail area out behind it's motocross tracks which could be another option.

Steven
November 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I go to Watkins and like it they have 3 different track's. You have to get a membership to ride there now. It's a single or family membership. $20 or $15 a day to ride depending on what time you go and if it's later in the day they usually drop the price to $10.

FirecrackerKTM
November 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I've only spent a lot of time at Berthoud, and it's been a while since I was there, but I used to have a ton of fun. Officially it's called valley dirt riders.

co84rc
November 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Imi

gmule
November 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
How is Imi towards the novice crowd? I'm not the fastest or skilled when it comes to riding and I would hate to get myself or someone else hurt because I was in the way.

I like the idea of different tracks for different skill levels.

FirecrackerKTM
November 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Well here's my thought on THAT ...

You pay the same amount of $$ to ride as anybody else.
Unless it's a race, everybody has the same responsibility to ride somewhere within shouting distance of their ability.
You do not have the obligation to get out of anyone's way, nor will anyone get out of yours. If someone is going slower than you, you just need to work your way around them safely. Likewise, if someone is faster than you, they need to learn to pass without taking anyone out.
Hold your line is the etiquette I was taught. Don't pull off, slow down, speed up, swerve, etc.

Kids are excepted because they are random and do bizarre stuff anyway.

Obviously it doesn't always work that way, but neither do I feel anybody should not ride because they are worried about being in the way. Just go ride!

co84rc
November 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM
How is Imi towards the novice crowd? I'm not the fastest or skilled when it comes to riding and I would hate to get myself or someone else hurt because I was in the way.

I like the idea of different tracks for different skill levels.

IMI has open riding areas with plenty for every skill level.

Berthoud is also set up this way.

IMI is closer to town.

gmule
November 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. looks like I will have to give them all a shot to see where I fit in.

ColoradoXJ
November 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM
we have a few listed, with contact info and directions at www.staythetrail.org/maps

I've ridden Watkins and Berthoud. Liked Berthoud, didn't care for Watkins as much.