PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck enclosed?

T3N5OR
October 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I have been searching for an enclosed for the buggy. Between 20-24'. Bumper pulls seem to be in the 8k range but gooses are more like 15k. Why? Is it that uncommon to want that size trailer in a goose?

COcummins
October 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
do they both have the same or similar weight ratings/axles?
could also be that it talks a bit more work and metal to build a goose neck since the hitch has to come up from the frame, forward and then down to your truck. bumper hitches just taper down from the frame to the hitch which is pretty simple and easy.

that's my best guess to the price difference, though it doesn't quite account for an extra $7k

T3N5OR
October 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
That was my thought as well but it's similar axles. Haulmark wants 20k, and trailersource will build one for 15k. But new bumper pulls never get over 10k I just didn't know why.

Impaired
October 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have a few enclosed trailers as well as open flats. If you have never pulled an enclosed, plan on taking a 3-5mpg hit in fuel mileage over open trailers due to wind drag. Same MPG Empty or loaded, Windy days eat even more. Granted I tow mine in an enclosed most of the time lately but prefer all the +'s of doing so. Between the 20' Bumper pulls of Haulmark and Cargomate we have, I prefer the Cargomate suspension simplicity. I have had to replace leafs on the Haulmark due to breakage.

Don't know if it would be worth double the price for a gooseneck model? BTW I paid new around $5k each for mine a Few years back

Wally
October 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My brother in law brought back a brand new 28' enclosed bumper bull from SC this past month i think he's looking at selling it you want me to get a price form him, i know it was only rated at like 5,000lbs or something like that, it seems most of the bumper pull ones he saw were a light load rating, so that might account for some of the $$ difference :shrug:

CSP
October 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
That was my thought as well but it's similar axles. Haulmark wants 20k, and trailersource will build one for 15k. But new bumper pulls never get over 10k I just didn't know why.

Are you comparing Haulmark bumper vs. Haulmark goose? Anything from Haulmark is pricey. Think other brands.

T3N5OR
October 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I am weighing all options, yeah but there is still a rift between bumpers and goose. I agree Wally about the weight rating, but I was looking at 5k axles to get past that. Still a big diff. Maybe I need a custom XE trailer to go with the buggy...

BumperMan
October 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Also consider running down to OK, MO, TX to pick one up. Might be able to pick one up much cheaper.

timsjeep
October 19th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I bought the one on top with the 10k axles and it has been a very good trailer. For just a buggy, I would get the 7k axles. Great people to deal with. Worth the trip. Tim

http://www.trailersplus.com/Default.aspx