PDA

View Full Version : How well is this going to work?

Norco
September 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I need to upgrade my "tow rig" bigtime, I know. It's a 97 XJ with the 4.0 of course, and automatic. Last sledding season I mostly pulled a 14' flat deck aluminum trailer with 2 or 3 sleds on it. It'd slow down some, of course, and the mileage would go as low as 11.

This season I want to pull this for about half the winter:

http://www.rnrtrailers.com/11arc.htm

and then I should have a beefier tow rig. It weighs 1000 pounds empty and will likely have two 600 lb sleds loaded every time it moves. So weight-wise it will be comparable to the flat trailer with 3 sleds onboard.

Question is, how bad are the aerodynamics going to be? If I'm gonna get 5 mpg pulling this thing I may have to do truck and trailer both at the same time, don't really want to spend that cash all at once. Can it work or is this stupid?

Chris Halvorson
September 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
The wind resistance is what is going to get you. The trailer looks good in aerodynamics. Do you still have the flatbed trailer? why not use that?

Norco
September 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I don't have that trailer anymore. I like the storage/ shelter/ sled out of the elements aspects of an enclosed trailer. This has most of the room and far, far less weight and cost than your typical enclosed 2-place. A new Triton 12 foot flatbed with the add-on fiberglass bubble ends up being similar cost to this but with more drawbacks.

Chris Halvorson
September 20th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Try it out. If you don't like it, the truck will be coming soon right?