PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable cruiser

Project_MudXJ
September 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
So I have been riding a sport bike (CBR600RR) for the last two years, and lately I have begun to appreciate comfort while riding. I took a 4 hour round trip a few weeks ago and needless to say I was pretty sore. These bikes aren't meant for long rides :rant: The seat is like sitting on a chunk of plastic. Anyways to my question, I don't know much about cruisers as I have been focused on sport bikes, but I am really considering ditching it for one. Recommendations? Possibly for a lighter kind of cruiser. I don't really know what I'm looking for, all I know is I want something more comfortable to ride! :D

CLYDE
September 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
best time there will ever be to move up to a HD, prices are as low as they will ever be with the economy in the shitter, and yuppies are unloading a lot of low mile HDs. Once the economy turns around, prices will be right back up again.

MrMischief
September 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've only known two guys that have owned harleys. Both said the bike spent more time in the shop then on the road. Don't know if that still holds true today. Have you considered something like a Kawasaki Concours 14? It's a sport touring that I think would be comfy but still fun in the twisties.

CLYDE
September 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
No, I have been an HD rider for a very mong time, the only other thing I would consider is possibly a victory, to bad they are so damn ugly..

ColoJeeper
September 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
I ride a Yamaha VStar 1300. Is comfortable and plenty of power. Is an "07" and has been problem free. I've nothing against the Harleys, just didn't want to pay that much.

XtremeXJ
September 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
VICTORYS are AWESOME - look at the VEGAS JACKPOT.

Oh - and the Victorys are 95% AMERICAN made, where the Harelys are not even close to that any more.

If you get the 8Ball series they have a 100ci engine and a 5speed transmission - all the other series come with the 105ci engine and the 6 speed transmission.

The Jackpot series have a 280 rear tire and they look awesome!!!!!

I personally love my Kawasaki Mean Streak - she is not the fastest bike on the Sport Cruiser circuit but they are the best handling of them. But I don't feel that the Mean Streak is a COMFORTABLE CRUISER for say. But they look awesome as well.

I have taken some good long rides (nothing super long, but) and don't hurt to bad afterwards.

But back to the Victorys - I am going to buy a Victory Vegas Jackpot for my next bike. Oh and the Victorys do make some very, very ugly bikes.

satan
September 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
From where I sit, I'd offer the thought to take a look at your seat -- Really, if you like the bike you've got for all other aspects, it may be worth investing a little into a properly shaped (FOR YOU) and padded (FOR YOU) seat.

That said - I had a new '81 Harley XR1000, but soon discovered that I prefered girls (sorry, but something about that sporty seemed to be a "bit too fabulous" ( :rainbow: ) like it was a left-over AMF style/fashion package or something - So I rolled an older low rider (FXDL) for a while.

Converted to the Honda GLs back in 93 and haven't looked back (not exactly a light touring bike) --

But to say the HDs spend more time in the shop --- that's kinda BS. If you ride em, and know how to do some simlpe maintnenance, you can ride for years between "shop" visits -- Typically, the folks I know with the "HD in the shop" also have their Saab or Volvo in the shop because teh automatic dimming interior mirror got a smudge or something. Bikes like to be ridden and don't cotton too well to sitting, (:rant: this is starting to sound like a rant :tisk: ) enough to say, that the "shop" is not a necessary part of bike touring or riding a HD.

Sorry'bout that.

Light touring - If you're coming from sport bikes do not overlook the 1300 class touring bikes. While the big twins are nice and all, you can get and have a blast on Kawasaki ZG1300, KZ1300s and the Like, Yamaha also is in this game with the FJR1300 (fun to ride too)... Honda has something in there too (I'm not familiar).

:shrug: For me, I ride a couch-rocket, but I can get 40+MPG and a 13.5 quater mile if iI'm not fiddling with the radios... and a 6 hour day is do-able.

Test riding will be the best answer -- If you wanna try the couch - lemme know.

XtremeXJ
September 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Here are my considerations

Victory Vegas
Victory King Pin

Kawasaki Mean Streak - I am a little bias on this one - :)
Kawasaki Vulcan

Suzuki M109R

Yamaha Road Warrior 2000 (this is their replacement for the Warrior 1800)
Yamaha Warrior 1800

All respect to Clyde as I like his input and he is way smarter then me at, well, everything :) - but I am not a Harley person - I am the type of person that Harley people don't like - so I will not buy a Harley as it is just a status thing. Yes I am tattoo'ed and bald, but still don't want to go do the yuppy thing and buy a Harley - :) hahaha... Although I have highly highly considered the Midnight V-Rod.

Scott39
September 4th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Here are my considerations

Victory Vegas
Victory King Pin

Kawasaki Mean Streak - I am a little bias on this one - :)
Kawasaki Vulcan

Suzuki M109R

Yamaha Road Warrior 2000 (this is their replacement for the Warrior 1800)
Yamaha Warrior 1800

All respect to Clyde as I like his input and he is way smarter then me at, well, everything :) - but I am not a Harley person - I am the type of person that Harley people don't like - so I will not buy a Harley as it is just a status thing. Yes I am tattoo'ed and bald, but still don't want to go do the yuppy thing and buy a Harley - :) hahaha... Although I have highly highly considered the Midnight V-Rod.
I just love it when people start talking about motorcycles, and stereotype Harley riders, and they don't even know what they are talking about.:rolleyes:

XtremeXJ
September 4th, 2010, 07:03 AM
hahahahaha - that is funny - I put the bald and tattoo'ed in to be a smart arse. I have lots of friends that ride Harleys and they don't have any tattoos and have a full head of hair - I just didn't want to follow the trend of buying a Harley just to buy a Harley. When the natural gas boom was big, almost every KID that I knew that worked in the oil field went out and purchased Harleys - why - not because they did research, or test road anything - but just because it said HARLEY DAVIDSON on the side.

Personally - I don't like the looks of most cruiser bike - Harley included - I lean more towards the chopper and drag styling. That is why if you look at my list, with the V-Rod included they are all a SPORTCRUISER (minus the King Pin and the Vulcan). Heck - with that being said I would even consider looking at the new Honda Fury.

I am a yuppy and I am ok with it (although I do like my tattoos too) and whether people want to admit it or not there are still Harley riders out there that don't like yuppy riders. And they don't like what Harley did - Harley made a great Business choice by mass production - but to the true Harley rider, they made a choice that took away from the heritige (sp?) of the bike.

Now back to being a smart arse - :) - just because you are a yuppy (no tattoos and a nice full head of hair) that went and purchased a Harely - just means that you are the type of person that Harley people don't like. HAHAHAHA.... Just giving you a hard time.

Sorry for the HiJaCk - just had to defend myself that I wasn't stereo typing - just putting in why I didn't purchase a Harley. :)

FirecrackerKTM
September 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'd ride a Harley, Honda or anything else. It's really tough to choose between the brands anymore.

You gotta respect Harley's marketing managers. They have done an amazing job of branding. My dealership carries HD plus 4 import brands and it's usually a very different customer.

Like I said, I like em all. I have a Suzuki Marauder 800 and it's been a pretty good first street bike.

XtremeXJ
September 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
That is another good bike - the Suzuki Marauder 1500/1600 (2002 tell I think 2005, then they made the 109 and dropped the Marauder 1500/1600 - I think) - it is the same bike as my Mean Streak with a much better looking headlight and the SPORT rear fender. Kawasaki made the Mean Streak and sold it to Suzuki and they added a couple details to the bike to make it different.

I like my buddys wide glide custom - with the exception of the skinny front tire.

The only way to tell what you are going to like is to get out and ride them.

Project_MudXJ
September 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The only way to tell what you are going to like is to get out and ride them.

That is definitely true, which is why I will prob head up to a shop or two that allows test rides and just see what feels the best. I just didn't wanna walk in not knowing what I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not really in it to be a "real biker", just want something fun to ride, don't much care what others think of me :rolleyes: My CBR is awesome other than the comfort level, so I will take my time finding just what I like for sure.

flatlander
September 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
look into an Aprilia Futura. It's a sport tourer with an emphasis on sport but is the most comfortable ride I have ever been on. I have done a couple 700 mile days and I am begging for more when I am done. I would like to have a little more wind protection but nothing is going to be perfect. Plus you will have something that noone else on the block has probably ever seen. Hard to find because they are rare but I believe there is one on Denver craigslist now for an appropriate price.

good luck in your search

Scott39
September 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM
hahahahaha - that is funny - I put the bald and tattoo'ed in to be a smart arse. I have lots of friends that ride Harleys and they don't have any tattoos and have a full head of hair - I just didn't want to follow the trend of buying a Harley just to buy a Harley. When the natural gas boom was big, almost every KID that I knew that worked in the oil field went out and purchased Harleys - why - not because they did research, or test road anything - but just because it said HARLEY DAVIDSON on the side.

Personally - I don't like the looks of most cruiser bike - Harley included - I lean more towards the chopper and drag styling. That is why if you look at my list, with the V-Rod included they are all a SPORTCRUISER (minus the King Pin and the Vulcan). Heck - with that being said I would even consider looking at the new Honda Fury.

I am a yuppy and I am ok with it (although I do like my tattoos too) and whether people want to admit it or not there are still Harley riders out there that don't like yuppy riders. And they don't like what Harley did - Harley made a great Business choice by mass production - but to the true Harley rider, they made a choice that took away from the heritige (sp?) of the bike.

Now back to being a smart arse - :) - just because you are a yuppy (no tattoos and a nice full head of hair) that went and purchased a Harely - just means that you are the type of person that Harley people don't like. HAHAHAHA.... Just giving you a hard time.

Sorry for the HiJaCk - just had to defend myself that I wasn't stereo typing - just putting in why I didn't purchase a Harley. :)
I totally agree about the guys who want to go out and buy a Harley and play biker, I know a few of them. As soon as they bought their first Harley, they wanted to ride to the first biker bar when they got it. I told them I bought my Harley to ride, not just sit in front of a bar.
I'm not a biker or a yuppy, but I have put 10's of thousands of miles on my Harley's, I don't even ride with a typical leather jacket, no chaps, no dew rags, no vests, just don't need them.:D

I do have a few friends that hate yuppy riders, because my firends are the hardcore bikers (HA), people like me and one of my best friends I ride with (he doesn't even own a leather jacket), we ride a lot but do not fit in with the yuppy riders or the hardcore bikers :D

And none of my Harleys have ever left me stranded.
My buddy has a 1986 Harley he bought new, he put 269,000 miles on it :hail:, and the topend has only been rebuilt one time, it needs it now though.
My other friend has 63,000 miles on his 2003 Softail, never a problem, and we know another guy that has 93,000 on his 2003 Ultra :hail: never a problem.:beer::beer:

I'd ride a Harley, Honda or anything else. It's really tough to choose between the brands anymore.

You gotta respect Harley's marketing managers. They have done an amazing job of branding. My dealership carries HD plus 4 import brands and it's usually a very different customer.

Like I said, I like em all. I have a Suzuki Marauder 800 and it's been a pretty good first street bike.
Real bikers like all bikes. All makes and models are cool and useful for certain types of riding. If I had the money and space, I would have about 30-40 different bikes.
The guy that was the head of Harleys marketing is now the head of Can-AMs marketing.
When I was in Sturgis this year for the bike rally, I rented out a few rooms from my house, one of the guys that rented a room from me, is a rep. for Can-AM.
He had a Spyder parked at our house every night. He told me the Spyders were all sold out last month for the year. They are pretty cool bikes.

That is definitely true, which is why I will prob head up to a shop or two that allows test rides and just see what feels the best. I just didn't wanna walk in not knowing what I was looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not really in it to be a "real biker", just want something fun to ride, don't much care what others think of me :rolleyes: My CBR is awesome other than the comfort level, so I will take my time finding just what I like for sure.
Try all bikes, there is some places in town that will rent you bikes for a day unlimited miles. I rented a V-Rod about 5 years ago, it was a blast.:beer:

BumperMan
September 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I like to give the HD riders a hard time, but I will probably own one one day. Scott is right, if I had the room and money, I would own many different types of bikes. I have owned everything from hondamatic 350s to a 1000 Honda hurricane to Victory touring cruisers (never a HD yet, but that ultra is looking mighty comfy). Pros and cons to all of them. If I were to give you advice, I would say don't go from a sport bike to a big bagger or loaded out cruiser. You are going to hate it.

I would start with an older used Honda VTX 1300 or similar bike. They have some get up and go, they handle well, there are lots of things to bolt on to them to make them your own. Also if you buy a used 3-6 year old jap cruiser, it is going to be worth close to what you paid for it in a couple of years.

Stay away from limited production bikes (victory touring cruiser, hammer, jackpot for example) aftermarket support is hard to find for those, and will cost you a fortune (ask me how I know).

Find a bike that handles well in the twisties. That is going to be the hardest transition from sport bike to cruiser. The power and the handling. This is my favorite thing about my big Victory bagger is that fact that it handles better than any other big bike I have ridden. I ride it hard and scrape the hell out of the bottom, but it gets around the curves if you know how to make it do it. I would be happy to help you with making a big bike do what you want it to if you get one.

XtremeXJ
September 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with Budman - go with something that is still sporty - Warrior, M109, VTX, V-Rod, MEAN STREAK (hahaha).

Scott39
September 13th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Why not just get a trike, then you can take it offroad also, two rigs in one.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYnP6tifNM8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dXh2f6hwCw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WEkApX0M4&feature=related

ni0h
November 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Why not just get a trike, then you can take it offroad also, two rigs in one.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYnP6tifNM8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dXh2f6hwCw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WEkApX0M4&feature=related

Not at all impressive. I didn't see anything done that couldn't be done on the same terrain with a "sport sedan", except when the guy got high-centered and used his legs to lift the chassis.

ZappBranigan
November 17th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I like to give the HD riders a hard time, but I will probably own one one day. Scott is right, if I had the room and money, I would own many different types of bikes. I have owned everything from hondamatic 350s to a 1000 Honda hurricane to Victory touring cruisers (never a HD yet, but that ultra is looking mighty comfy).

:confused::confused:

Why did I think you owned a V-Rod or some kind of Sporty?

What do you ride?

(FWIW, I ride a Triumph Scrambler.)

ZappBranigan
November 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
So I have been riding a sport bike (CBR600RR) for the last two years, and lately I have begun to appreciate comfort while riding. I took a 4 hour round trip a few weeks ago and needless to say I was pretty sore. These bikes aren't meant for long rides :rant: The seat is like sitting on a chunk of plastic. Anyways to my question, I don't know much about cruisers as I have been focused on sport bikes, but I am really considering ditching it for one. Recommendations? Possibly for a lighter kind of cruiser. I don't really know what I'm looking for, all I know is I want something more comfortable to ride! :D

What are your desires and what is your budget? Are you willing to go used?

I see a lot of guys recommending 1500cc+ bikes. Why? Nothing against them but unless you are huge, you don't really need a bike that big. Big bikes are good for touring but IMO they are a PITA when riding around town.

Honestly there are times when my 2 cyl, 900cc Triumph feels too big and I wish I had a little 250cc dual sport to commute on.

I started riding in 1982 and back then a 750cc was a "big bike." I have to smile a bit when I see 900 or 1100cc bikes nowadays being referred to as "mid sized." The rest of the world seems to get along just fine on 175cc to 250cc bikes. :shrug:

Anyway, Don't think all street bikes are either sportbikes OR cruisers. There are a lot of bikes that fall in between those two extremes. Bikes like the Suzuki Bandit 1200 or 1250 have the power and technology of a sportbike with the upright riding position of a standard. Ditto for the Yamaha FZ1 and FZ6.

Triumph makes an fantastic line of classic twins that have the looks of a 60's bike but none of the headaches (10,000 + miles on my new Hinckley Triumph and not a lick of trouble. My last Hinckley went 27,000 miles with no problems before I sold it.)

BMW and Moto Guzzi are something of an acquired taste but there are a lot of them out there. I think the new Guzzi V7 Classic is gorgeous but I've heard it's a bit underwhelming power-wise (750cc air-cooled pushrod V-twin, shaft driven.) Ducati also makes an awesome line of bikes that include upright "standards" as well as sportier bikes.

There's also the used market. An older Kawasaki ZR-7 or Honda Nighthawk 750 would have decent (though not spectacular) power and an upright, riding-friendly seating position.

XtremeXJ
November 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hey Zapp - I am 6' and weigh in at 185lbs. My MEANSTREAK (1600) weighs in at 650lbs wet. It is easy to ride around town, I have never felt unstable or anything on it. It is the "LITTLE-GUY" in the MUSCLE CRUISER class.

BumperMan
November 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
:confused::confused:

Why did I think you owned a V-Rod or some kind of Sporty?

What do you ride?

(FWIW, I ride a Triumph Scrambler.)

Victory touring cruiser. Just ride it like a sport bike

BumperMan
November 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
While I agree with Zapp to some degree. I would have a hard time going any smaller than a 1100 nowadays I put 98000 miles on a 500 shadow and loved most every minute of it. Even rode it from AK to MO. That was a rough trip. I find that my big bagger does great in town if I ride it right. I highly recommend. Hooking up with a motor cop and learning some techniques. It has completely changed my riding experience

FirecrackerKTM
December 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
I do like the looks of those M109s. I have only ever ridden my bike and one sport bike so I have no idea if it handles well or not. I don't have anything to compare it to. It does have the big front tire which I really like. However, my next bike will be FUEL INJECTED. Mine is cold blooded as all hell. I really need to get a jet kit but I am waiting til I get my pipes and air filters since I'll need to do it then anyway, and I hate getting into those carbs so I don't want to do it twice.

BumperMan
December 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Keep in mind that EFI comes with it's own costs as well. Some of them: having to have a shop do all tuning, No reserve tank, etc.

FirecrackerKTM
December 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah ... but having it start and run in the morning without 10 minutes of babysitting and fiddling with it would be worthwhile.

that said, she DOES need some tinkering that i should do anyway. but, ugh. those stupid ass carburetors are just wedged down in there as tight as suzuki could possibly get them.

BumperMan
December 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It's funny how some carb bikes are cold natured, and some are not. Every kawasaki I have owned was cold natured as all get out. Only one of my many Honda's were that way. I had a 500 shadow in AK that would start and run no matter what the temp.

Scott39
December 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Just get a Boss Hoss :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUER2ukpMso&NR=1

BumperMan
December 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Just get a Boss Hoss :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUER2ukpMso&NR=1

Test rode a Boss Hoss Trike in FL with a 502 in it. Amazing.. I figured it would just burn the tires off. When I punched it, that thing just flat out launched.

Scott39
December 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I want to build a trike with a 6bt Cummins someday.

ZappBranigan
December 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind that EFI comes with it's own costs as well. Some of them: having to have a shop do all tuning, No reserve tank, etc.

+1 on this. When I bought my Triumph I actually looked for a "leftover" 2008 model because starting with the 2009's, all of the Triumph classic twins are EFI.

EFI requires a fuel pump, a computer, and a pressurized fuel system. It's harder to 'bump start' an EFI bike with a dead battery because there has to be enough juice in the battery to pressurize the fuel system. On my carb'd scrambler, the gas feeds by gravity - no pump, no pressure needed.

Another point: Reserve. EFI bikes don't have a reserve, they have a "low fuel" light. Theoretically, these work the same way, but in reality, they don't. For example, let's say you're cruising down the road on a bright sunny day and your fuel level is dropping.

On a carb'd bike, when the main tank runs out, the bike coughs, stumbles, and acts like it's running out of gas. I immediately reach down and switch the petcock from "on" to "reserve", and go find the nearest gas station ASAP.

On an EFI bike, you have a light that comes on. So, say you're cruising down the road and you look down only to see your light on. Now, did it just come on (meaning that you have 20 - 25 miles before the tank's empty) or has it been on for 19 miles? Some bikes have a "countdown" meter that kicks on when the low fuel light comes on, showing how many miles the light's been on. Most, however, don't. So you have to guess.

Obviously, it's not a huge deal, you shouldn't be running your bike down that low anyway, but it's a hassle, and IMO it's a hassle I don't need. Hence, I gravitate towards carb'd bikes.

KISS is my motto. ;) Carb'd bikes are simpler, with fewer things to go wrong (ditto for air vs. water cooling, BTW.)

Since I've never owned an EFI bike I can't comment about cold-bloodedness except to say that I know how to use the choke, so it's a non-issue for me. Cold bike = full choke. Start it, let it run, then push in the choke after it's warm. No biggie. My wife's bike is a bit hard to start but I blame that on the aftermarket pipes (unfortunately she's a believer in the "loud pipes save lives" myth. :rolleyes: )

MrMischief
December 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have an EFI bike so I thought I'd chime in on the EFI vs carb debate. My bike is a standard, rather then a cruiser, so I get a fuel gauge which I guess is something cruisers don't get (is there a reason for that?). I also have a low fuel light and a trip-meter. That low fuel light is annoyingly bright so it's pretty hard to miss. When I fill up, I always reset my trip-meter, just a habit I always have. I know my best tank of gas was 220 miles, so when the fuel light comes on I glance at my trip-meter to let me know how far I've gone. I've never ran out of gas.

On cold mornings, my bike has a "high speed idle" lever. I pull it, it speeds up the idle. The manual says that it's there to warm up the motor more quickly. I don't really see the point because the bike starts and idles immediately with it pulled or not.

My battery has never died, even though I'm bad about keeping it on the trickle charger
over the winter, but yes an EFI bike with a dead battery won't start.

I've never had a carb'd bike, so I don't know much about them other then there's a petcock. My buddy had a carb'd bike and he constantly forgot to shut his fuel off when he parked and once had to go get gas because of it. I don't know exactly how it happens, but his bike the fuel would feed into the carbs then overflow out. He was only completely out of gas once because of this, but several times he had a difficult time starting it because of that.

I've heard of people complain that with EFI bikes the throttle is more difficult to feather. Having only ridden EFI bikes, I don't really know what they're talking about and I don't notice it being much different then say my jeep.

I remember my father saying he would never own a microwave, a computer, a cell phone. Now he has them all and probably uses them all every day. EFI is just the next thing. I personally would not buy a carb'd bike.

BumperMan
December 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
+1 on this.

ALl of those things are my complaints with EFI. I also don't think it helps MPG that much either.

Tokyojoe1965
December 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa222/Crispix1965/IMG_1462small.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I have a Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Sweet bike and best rated 900 level bike.

- Gets 48 mpg.
- Belt driven so less issues like chain-drives but does have its own Cons also.
- Has a gas gauge and 5 gal tank which will put me over 200 miles on a tank of gas. Means fewer stops during a long ride. I know know how many miles I can go once that light comes on. Not an issue. I would say that works the same as Reserve. I have gone about 20+ miles after the light came on and I still put in only 4.5 gallons.
- Fuel injected - no issues here. Love it
- Liquid cooled - not an issue on hot days like other bikes.
Just a nice bike all around.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa222/Crispix1965/2009KawasakiVulcanClassicLT.jpg

Chris J
December 9th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Fuel injected bikes (mine at least) will give you some warning before you're out of gas. I've had a few occasions where I'll feel the bike stumble on acceleration and that tells me i'm real close to running out, but it does give me a few miles to find gas. I don't have a gas gauge, low fuel light, odometer or anything, so I have to try and be mindful of my fuel situation.

I like FI bikes for the above mentioned reasons, but FI does add a bunch of crap on bikes that you have to be mindful of if you start hacking/chopping.

FirecrackerKTM
December 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM
It's funny how some carb bikes are cold natured, and some are not. Every kawasaki I have owned was cold natured as all get out. Only one of my many Honda's were that way. I had a 500 shadow in AK that would start and run no matter what the temp.
These bikes, the Marauders, are known for being cold blooded. They were jetted soooooo lean from the factory for emissions

I have an EFI bike so I thought I'd chime in on the EFI vs carb debate. My bike is a standard, rather then a cruiser, so I get a fuel gauge which I guess is something cruisers don't get (is there a reason for that?). I also have a low fuel light and a trip-meter. That low fuel light is annoyingly bright so it's pretty hard to miss. When I fill up, I always reset my trip-meter, just a habit I always have. I know my best tank of gas was 220 miles, so when the fuel light comes on I glance at my trip-meter to let me know how far I've gone. I've never ran out of gas.

On cold mornings, my bike has a "high speed idle" lever. I pull it, it speeds up the idle. The manual says that it's there to warm up the motor more quickly. I don't really see the point because the bike starts and idles immediately with it pulled or not.

My battery has never died, even though I'm bad about keeping it on the trickle charger
over the winter, but yes an EFI bike with a dead battery won't start.

I've never had a carb'd bike, so I don't know much about them other then there's a petcock. My buddy had a carb'd bike and he constantly forgot to shut his fuel off when he parked and once had to go get gas because of it. I don't know exactly how it happens, but his bike the fuel would feed into the carbs then overflow out. He was only completely out of gas once because of this, but several times he had a difficult time starting it because of that.

I've heard of people complain that with EFI bikes the throttle is more difficult to feather. Having only ridden EFI bikes, I don't really know what they're talking about and I don't notice it being much different then say my jeep.

I remember my father saying he would never own a microwave, a computer, a cell phone. Now he has them all and probably uses them all every day. EFI is just the next thing. I personally would not buy a carb'd bike.
Hmm interesting. I don't have a gauge, I just refill at 100 mi. I could probably go to 125 between tanks without hitting reserve but I play it safe. My butt usually needs a break by then anyway.

The only FI bike I've ridden was my neighbor's CBR 600 F4i and it was such a different creature I can't really compare it to my cruiser. It was pretty sweet though. I wish I could have one of each.

I leave my petcock on and have never had a problem "losing" gas. Is it leaking? Does he have a stuck float maybe? It would run crappy if that was the case.

Even though mine's carbed, it does have a fuel pump. I don't know why, or how the different systems work.

Other than the cold starting thing there's really no issues. I started leaving a shop light on overnight under the cases and that really helps.

Chris J
December 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
A carb'd bike with a fuel pump? What next, a water pump for rain gutters?

ZappBranigan
December 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
A carb'd bike with a fuel pump? What next, a water pump for rain gutters?

Lots of carb's bikes have/had fuel pumps. My Virago 1100 had a fuel pump. I could hear it ticking when I turned on the ignition. I think many carb'd bikes had fuel pumps just to ensure more reliable and steady fuel delivery, especially during spirited manuevering.

CLYDE
December 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
The Ol ladies Rebel has a vacumn operated pump at the petcock, operated by the pulses of vacumn. Lots of outboard motors were setup like that, so not an unusual contraption.

Chris J
December 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
learn something new everyday.....