PDA

View Full Version : Towing CJ7 with a 4Runner?

Getsome
August 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm wondering if towing my CJ7 back to Colorado from Indiana on a dolly with my 4Runner is something that can/should be done. The CJ is pretty stock with 33's and a D44 out back and the 4Runner is a 1995 with the 3.slow and dead stock with 31's. The 4Runner is in fantastic shape and just had the oil changed and tranny flushed.

Last question: DS off the rear of the Jeep with the xfer case in neutral and out of gear?

cmd11
August 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
you will smoke the tranny in the 4runner. i would not do it. rent a penske van and trailer and do it that way.

and yes, drop the rear driveshaft on the jeep.

Jeffro600
August 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I think they are rated to tow 3500 pounds...a CJ7 weighs a hell of a lot more than that.

If it was across town, id say go for it...halfway across the country, no frickin way.

Getsome
August 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Bummer. The issue being that I need to get both of them back to Colorado but I know that asking the 4Runner to pull the CJ 1100 miles is asking a lot. I guess I'll look into a plan B but not the "I was a whore last night" plan B.

hulkster73
August 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I fit my bronco inside an enclosed uhual truck and used the uhaul to pull a dolly with my car on it for 1200 miles. The only catch is you have to use a loading dock to drive the bronco inside the uhaul truck. Backing out was easy I just drove it off the truck.