PDA

View Full Version : how to shop for a seat?

FirecrackerKTM
July 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Mine is pretty uncomfortable on longer rides. It is a Mustang seat. How do you know if a seat is going to be comfortable after 3-4 hours or more?

CLYDE
July 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
ride it for 3 or 4 hours, then youll know:shrug::flipoff2:

FirecrackerKTM
July 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
umm, last I checked they don't let you do that before buying one

CLYDE
July 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
bingo. kinda sucks. And even worse, every ass is different, so even if a bunch of folks reccomend a seat, that doesnt mean it will be right for your ass:shrug:I will say I like the corbins, they actually mold to ya after ya ride em for awhile, which is why ya never buy a used one.

So, what Im telling you, is that you are asking an unanswerable question:D

BFMparts
July 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Treat it like a holster for a firearm. Buy it, test it, like it? throw it in the keep drawer, Don't like it? Ebay it, ship it and repeat process. No seriously I feel your pain, (No pun intended) Talk to other riders with your style/type of bike and pick their brains. Also consider your riding position, peg/highway peg location. An inch one way or another can make a big difference. If for no other reason than to give you options to change your body position/configuration while riding. I sometimes just put one leg on the highway peg at a time, and switch back and forth. Look at the bright side. With all that testing you get to ride more. WooHoo!!!!!! Good Luck!

FirecrackerKTM
July 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Well I'll ride more and maybe see what some of the guys at work do ... there are only a couple of guys I work with who have metric cruisers. The rest ride sport bikes or cruisers.

CLYDE
July 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
get a gel pad, and try that before ya drop big money on a seat, may just do the trick for ya:shrug:

XtremeXJ
July 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I feel that my stock seat is more comfortable (08 Kawasaki Mean Streak) then my buddies Mustang Solo (04 Kawasaki Mean Streak). I just wish that I could sit low in the bike.

TheCopperCowboy
July 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
get a gel pad, and try that before ya drop big money on a seat, may just do the trick for ya:shrug:

This ^^

RockyRed
July 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM
In 8 months I went thru 3 seats.....the last one is a HD Signature Solo with removeable back rest.......a great seat and comfortable. Glad I found this one. Some guys/gals will never find the perfect seat....probably just got a little back problems........

satan
August 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
I've run Hartco and/or Diamond for a while - They're built for bike inseam and other measurements - Quite nice ...

... or you could buy a shell from your bike (used seat) and roll your own http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

The site-link above has a few pointers on what to look at and what you may be feeling as you ride (and how to fix it -- or what your next seat 'could' feel like...); so it's worth a quick look even if you don't wanna sculpt your saddle.

Clyde right-on with the gel pad... The bike-specific pads can run a few bucks, BUT...
... WalMart carries a ~$20 gel pad that's can help get fixed up or at least an idea of what you need or would like.

FirecrackerKTM
August 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Well mine came with what's on there ... am trying to ride more and that does help. I will also see if i can have gel put in the one I have.

satan thanks for the link, i'll do some reading!