PDA

View Full Version : Calling Big Dave - BTS question

ScaldedDog
July 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hey man. You got a BTS from Rocky awhile back, right?. How did the process work: How long to get the tranny? How long was your truck down? Anything you'd have done differently? Is it something you'd have considered installing yourself? That sort of thing.

The coast clutches in mine just went out, and I don't think I'm up for having a Ford reman tranny with 100K on it rebuilt. Even a BTS is *lot* cheaper than an '11 truck with the new motor, which is the only other tow rig I'd like to have.

Thanks,

Mark

Big Dave
July 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Rocky had my truck for about a month I think. I wasn't really in a big rush and had another vehicle to drive so it didn't bother me too much. I had him put the 6.0 tranny cooler in while he had it all apart to help keep temps down and help the BTS live longer. Would it have been nice to get it back a little quicker? Sure, but finding a shop that works that closely with BTS and has that solid of a rep on doing the work right is a bit tough.

If I had a proper place to work on my truck, I would've considered doing it myself, but my truck does not fit in my garage, so the decision was easy.

EDIT: If you wanna drive a BTS truck, let me know too, it's fun.

ScaldedDog
July 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Most helpful! Thanks! I've got a pretty good place to work on mine, but I had this mental image today of my scrawny self staring at a 900lb tranny on a palet, trying to figure out how to get it onto a tranny jack. :D Given the price of these things, saving on the installation hardly seems worthwhile.

Thanks for the offer to drive yours!! I may take you up on it.

Mark

74BuckinBronc
July 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Mark - it might be worth giving Rocky a call an discussing it with him. He's a real stand-up guy and will give you an honest opinion. But him having the experience and the proper tools is well worth a stress free install. Save yourself the headache and see what Rocky can do for you on timing, even if you have to make yours live a little longer.

J.D.

dmeis
July 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I took mine to BTS. I showed up at their shop in the morning and left to come back home that night. He let us hang out while he did the work.

The emissions guy comments about it every year cause he likes the way it shifts.

ScaldedDog
July 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Mark - it might be worth giving Rocky a call an discussing it with him. He's a real stand-up guy and will give you an honest opinion. But him having the experience and the proper tools is well worth a stress free install. Save yourself the headache and see what Rocky can do for you on timing, even if you have to make yours live a little longer.

J.D.

That's the plan. Is he a tough guy to reach on the phone? I'm planning to call him tomorrow.

I took mine to BTS. I showed up at their shop in the morning and left to come back home that night. He let us hang out while he did the work.

The emissions guy comments about it every year cause he likes the way it shifts.

I'd love to do this, but I'm chronically short of vacation days.

Mark

Big Dave
July 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM
That's the plan. Is he a tough guy to reach on the phone? I'm planning to call him tomorrow.

If he doesn't answer when you call, I've always had good luck with him calling back quickly.

74BuckinBronc
July 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've got him the two or three times I've called.

J.D.

ScaldedDog
July 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Yep, I called him the other day and he picked right up. $2800-3000 to rebuild mine, or $5200-ish for a BTS. Gulp!!! I gotta do something, though. I towed the 4Runner through the hills this weekend, and had to be way too on the brakes for my liking. No way I'd want to tow in bad weather with this thing like it is now.

Mark

74BuckinBronc
July 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Mark - if you plan on keeping the truck, do what you can and get the BTS. If not, then a rebuild may be the better way to go.

J.D.