PDA

View Full Version : Quad Adrenaline Install - Duramax

CYAN5DE
July 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Someone mentioned I should make one of these here threads. so here goes.

Ordered a Adrenaline, with PCMv1 monitor. Showed up, and started to install it. Drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold went well, even though I was a tad skeert to do it. Was quite simple and took maybe twenty minutes total.

EGT gauge installed, onto the wiring harness. This is where the troubles begin. When I key on the truck, the PCM backlight comes on, but no display. The truck will start, but idles rough. I will not try and drive it in this condition.

Backlight on PCM remains on, but there is still no display.

With somewhere between 15-25 off/on cycles, one time the Quadzilla logo displayed on the screen, and quickly vanished back to nothing.

I checked all the pins on the harness, all were in good shape. No wire breaks, and the red wire is hooked up to a good solid 12v connection. I have tried disconnecting the batteries to allow the system to "reset" and also replugged every connection a few times for good measure.

So far, not a very satisfied customer, I will wait until Monday and the return of business hours to see what they can tell me about this.

I will get some pics on here sooner or later.

CYAN5DE
July 17th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Vehicle config, and Quad parts numbers

2005 Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax LLY.
No other mods to the vehicle, save a stereo.
73xxx miles.

Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ PCM (ADR2001) and PCMv1

CYAN5DE
July 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Update:

Sent the whole unit minus the EGT sensor back to the retailer. He was kind enough to let me keep it so I didn't have to plug the whole in the manifold while I waited.

He got it in and let me know the Monitor appeared to be shot, and he shipped me a whole new system, minus the EGT Sensor.

Should be here in a day or two. Let's cross those fingers.

CYAN5DE
July 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Well, New box showed up yesterday, and got installed today.

Monitor works this time, and everything seems to be powered properly.

Fired up the truck, and played with the monitor for a little bit. Surprisingly enough, it still is just a little rough at idle, even when on level 0 (stock tune). No where near as bad as the rough idle from the last box. I had not expected this, but I don't think it is a bad thing...yet

So I think I may take it around the block a few times here shortly and see how she runs.

I would have install pics, but my camera is MIA. Hopefully I find it while packing the house this weekend for my move to back to CO.

CYAN5DE
July 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Well, color me stumped.

I installed new setup. Monitor works, and life seems good. Until I start the engine. idles a little rough. OK, maybe it is like that. Decide to take it for a short test drive.

Start of on level 0 (stock) and notice some stumbling, knocking, etc. drive it maybe a mile. turn it to level 3 and it is the same and maybe a little worse. Knocking definitely getting worse.

After 2 miles I stopped and took it out of the truck before driving home. Once I took it all out it ran fine, no issues whatsoever.

Quadzilla says maybe there is a loose wire in my harness for my truck, since this is my second unit that hasn't worked right. I see their logic, but why then does my truck run completely fine without their equipment installed, and only sucks when it is installed.

This product is likely getting returned. If the retailer isn't a dick about it.

ZJROCKRIG
August 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I sorry to hear your having so much triouble with this unit CYAN5DE. :eek:

I would deal directly with Quadzilla (I see you have called them) and maybe talk to sombody who will give you a better answer and walk you through diagnostics than trying to blame it on your truck.

If all else fails, the actual owner of Quadzilla is a member on the DTR forum: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ( His screen name is "qzilla") and maybe PM him about your issues.

Not saying there has never been any other issues as with any product, but there is obviously something wrong somewhere since you have had two units and problems. There was a post from Quad saying that the units need to be updated (via the web) to cure 99.9% of issues when there are some.

As a comment also, depending on who you bought the unit from, they do have a list of non-approved dealers. Maybe you are getting someone elses return or refurbished unit? Your unit should be the upgraded set up with the new style Pulse monitor, not the older style like in my truck that I posted pics of.

If all else fails, they do have a money back warranty I believe (also depends on what dealer you bought from if they are an approved dealer). I would do this before you fry your new truck and maybe get a different tuner.

Please let us know your results. It sucks when someone (like me :o) sings the praises of the product, and then it's a different story for someone else.

:beer:

CYAN5DE
August 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I hear ya man, I would love to have it work, because the people it works for love it. I spoke to Jeremy, and he seemed pretty good about it all. The dealer was not on the unauthorized list, so I should be covered there. He ran me through some idea's, none of which were productive.

When I spoke to Jeremy, He sent me the update, and when I plugged the module into my computer, it won't stay connected for more than 5 seconds or so. It does the "ding" found new hardware. "dong" (disconnected) and then ding, dong, so on and so forth forever. Possibly bad IC on the board or something is all I can think of causing that, my USB ports are working fine on the computer, and the USB port on the module appears to be in fine working order, multiple cables produced the same result.

I am probably going to mail the module into to Quad and have there techs look at it. I am very curious if I got to bad units in a row. Seems so unlikely, but they both exhibit different problems. Jeremy was good about it and said if that didn't fix it to send it in and they will try and figure out what is going on.

CYAN5DE
September 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
So, a year plus later, a trip to iraq and a million other things.

I sent the unit off to quadzilla. I was pretty frustrated with their front office people, but their tech guys seem cool.

To get an RMA, I had to give them a credit card number for shipping and "possible repairs not under warranty"

I explained I had never even had a working unit, and wouldn't pay anything to "repair" it.

with zero communication to let me know it had been received, worked on, any problems found, on its way back, etc.

I did get it back, installed it, no rough idle, screen works, small test drive seems to work. I will take it out tomorrow for a little road testing and let you guys know. If it finally works I will be quite happy, but damn what a lot of work for a tuner.

Erik

CYAN5DE
September 26th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Well, everything seems to be working well.

I have not gone above level 3 on the power scale because I like my transmission, but I can tell the difference between 0 (no tune) and 3.

I just need to figure out the right way to dial in defueling, because it seems a little overboard.

but did I mention I like my transmission? Maybe I just leave it alone.

Chris Halvorson
September 27th, 2011, 08:38 PM
What HP rating is #3? Is 2 the tow setting?

CYAN5DE
September 28th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't remember exactly, i think 3 is plus 45 HP maybe?

I know level 6 is +90, and the highest you can run with a stock tranny (at least thats what people on duramaxforum say)

I once upon a time found a list of the HP/torque per each level but can't find it anymore, and of course it is a little different depending on how any truck is built.

EDIT: on the tow setting I am not exactly sure, there levels are just labeled 0 through 9.

Chris Halvorson
September 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
45 HP increase should be fine and keep your transmission in service for a long time.

CYAN5DE
October 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Well saving some pennies for an intake and exhaust sooner or later, but.

tried out level 6 for a few minutes, took it easy because that is the +90hp threshold of danger.

but it will roll some coal, and it moves out fast. So far liking it a lot. nice warm-up mode before modifying data streams, turbo timer, and a lot of gauges you can access.

not as pretty as an Edge CTS, but I am liking it so far.

Chris Halvorson
October 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Getting the bug already....LOL

CYAN5DE
October 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
yep. I put it back down to 2 for daily driving, but I was out east a bit on some open road and wanted to see what it could do.

Won't mess around up there until such a day as I might have a built tranny, but doubt it, that crap is expensive.