PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 24V Starting issue

Peejtj
July 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 24V AT. I used my code scanner, (Snap-on Optimus) and the 4 codes that came up were 256 Injection pump metering control B malfunction, 336, Crank pos. sensor, 1688, 1689 Low ECM battery voltage, all code active.

I replaced the crank pos. sensor purchased from Cummins ( 336 code cleared)

I replaced the lift pump (256 code cleared)

Replaced both batterys (1689 code cleared)

Fuel system bled of air

I have excelent fuel presure @ the injectors, no check engine light. The scanner is telling me code 1688 is a inactive code, (low ECM battery) however will not clear.

No check engine light.

The truck turns over very well, but does not want to fire. a VERY light shot of starting fluid makes it cough a bit but no fire. I know they can be a real bear to start when run out of fuel, but this isn't even acting like it want's to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Any ideas? I'm lost.

NF_Fab
July 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Did you try to bleed the air out of the fuel line to the injection pump? drivers side the line comes in you can loosen the bolt when you bump it to activate the lift pump, this should bubble, then turn to a trickle of fuel.

Mobcore911
July 8th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Any smoke at all while cranking? If so what color?

Mobcore911
July 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Gregorio, don't you think that since he stated he has good pressure at the injectors we can assume His issue isn't before that? sounds to me like the diesel may not be making it through the electronically controlled injector. I wonder if there is a noid test kit to fit those injectors...

BTW if you unplug your grid heater youll have no issue using starting fluid, it is however very dangerous while they are still powered!!!

NF_Fab
July 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
yes, I did see that there is good pressure at the injectors, but I am curious how this was tested? not really an easy way to test pressure at injectors. Also I have had and injection pump fire some injectors on those, but not others because there was a bubble before the injection pump, its a simple test, and should only take a minute to eliminate that as an issue. from my experience with those pickups, its either a bubble before the injection pump, or just a bad injection pump.

MDert
July 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
1688 is injection pump failure

Chris Halvorson
July 8th, 2010, 05:45 PM
What he said^^^

Midwest injection is a good place to start. They also have package deals with lift pumps you you don't have a good one yet.

NF_Fab
July 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah definately need a good aftermarket lift pump, a stock one even brand new out of the box is not good enough, will still risk burning up the injection pump.:eek:

hightimes2
July 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Gregorio, don't you think that since he stated he has good pressure at the injectors we can assume His issue isn't before that? sounds to me like the diesel may not be making it through the electronically controlled injector. I wonder if there is a noid test kit to fit those injectors...

BTW if you unplug your grid heater youll have no issue using starting fluid, it is however very dangerous while they are still powered!!!

24v's don't have electronic injectors

Mobcore911
July 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Really? Guess I better just stick with the 12vers I know...

hightimes2
July 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Really? Guess I better just stick with the 12vers I know...

yeah they didn't start the elec. injectors until 03 with the CR's and the 2nd gen 12v's are the way to go simple and reliable :D

Peejtj
July 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks to all for the help!

I called Cummins here in Juction and got the corect trouble code list for the 24V. 1688 is injector pump failure. I bought a Cummins reman unit, as well as the full Cummins 24V Service CD Rom. I installed the pump and it fired right up. The pump must have been going out for a while because I do not recall it running as well as it does now.

Again, thanks to all!!

Mike