PDA

View Full Version : general question about race cars...

bigblackrubicon
July 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
So...I'm still in awe from Bandimere...I'll never get bored of going there....

Anyway...just curious...are there any cars that you can buy off the lot that will do a 10 second quarter mile?

Or do you pretty much have to mod any stock car in order to go that fast?

OrangeCrush
July 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
10 secs would be pretty tough I think

Steve
July 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
There are no "normal" or affordable off-the-lot cars that will do a sub-10 second quarter mile that I'm aware of. The Corvette ZR1 or the Nissan GT-R are both in the mid-11 seconds, and they're not exactly what you'd call normal or affordable, but both are damn fast. With racing slicks and some tuning one or both of those might get there, but that's not stock any more. A few of the so-called supercars will do sub-10 second quarter miles stock, but they're way north of $100k. And, even if a stock, off-the-showroom floor car could do it, sanctioning rules would require substantial and expensive safety equipment that the car doesn't come with.

OrangeCrush
July 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM
of course if you could go back to the mid 60's and get an af/x belvedere or coronet with max wedge or a 426 you could be in the 10's :) they only made 12 AFAIK

Cresso
July 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
There are some ultra low volume cars that are more affordable than supercars, but equally as difficult to obtain. Caterham, for example.

I believe the easiest/cheapest way into the 10s is to get any number of semi-light V8 powered cars (muscle car era or modern pony cars should all work fine), then throw a big sneeze of nitrous at it. Talk to Norco on the board here about making a super fast nitrous car on the cheap....well, "cheap" is a relative term, I suppose.

bigblackrubicon
July 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info...I figured as much. I'm not interested, or financially in the position to go out and obtain one...I was just curious from watching so many at the track.

PovertyByJeep
July 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM
If you want to see what real "show room cars" do, come out on a Wednesday night for the CSP night. You'll see that most of them aren't nearly as fast as you'd think, and also that those that are modified for more power, quickly find the weakest link in the drivetrain.

An old drag racer buddy gave me the BEST advice for racing I've ever gotten. "No matter how bad you want to race, don't race the car that has to get you to work on Monday"

I've seen more cars that are daily drivers being carted off the track and then loaded on to roll back from AAA to get them home than I'd want to count- bad juju

Sub 10's on the cheap would be a tube chassis altered with a 400hp motor. Could easily be done for less than $10k- if you do your own work. Even less if you skimp on reliability.

Quicker than 11.50 seconds, and the safety rules really start to kick in- roll bar, harness, etc... No "show room cars" would pass tech. So then, you are taking a $30K muscle car and chopping it up to go racing.

Mcstiff
July 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjRCE_RMAuI

ni0h
July 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
They can be had.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA
Wit a 3-second 0-60, and top end of 155, seems like it should do it. 0-100-0 in 10.8.

That video makes me happy. I think all men want to be John Stapp.... without the broken bones and detached retinas, I mean.