PDA

View Full Version : Trailer options

Chris Halvorson
June 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
So I have a dilemma. I would like to get a trailer/toy hauler to haul the TJ round and/or camp in it.

I like (the wife likes) the amenities of a bathroom/heater/ac etc. So I have looked at several options:

-buying a Enclosed trailer, put an A/C unit for up top, I have some small catalytic heater, use some cots, buy an outside toilet and shower. I can put a few cabinets inside as well.
This would be bare minimum to make every "happy" so to speak.

-I have seen converted Cargo trailer, but haven't seen one that would fit the jeep.

-Looked at toy haulers, but I have some weight limitations (02 CTD HO 2500), and it doesn't look like a Jeep would fit in most height wise.

-Buy a goose-neck, put a camper or build something on it.

-buy a slide in camper, get a flatbed trailer and be done with it.

-Don't take the jeep, use a TT or Toy hauler for camping/ family fun.

I would also use this trailer for hunting. I normally am in a tent...so this would be a mass improvement over anything I have done lately. I like the toy hauler idea since most have a generator, easy to clean, open floor plan, easy to get water inside to haul to location if need be (vs. putting 55 gallon drums of water in the bed of my truck), usually is insulated/built well.

What do you think?

mtn WJ
June 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
If it is just the two of you, I would get a slide in camper and put it on the truck. There are tons of them used out there.

Otherwise when weight is a concern along with camper/trailer length, I like the 8ft pop up campers mounted on the front of a flat bed trailer with the door facing the back of the trailer. They only take about 6-7ft of trailer length and about 2k total weight added to trailer including provisions.

The enclosed trailers that fit a Jeep with large tires are typically pretty darn wide and very heavy. Not sure a 2500 is enough truck for safely pulling one loaded down that way.

A friend I know has a Chevy Duramax 2500 SRW and he has several times jack knifed on dirt roads pulling that much weight.

tjjared413
June 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE-buy a slide in camper, get a flatbed trailer and be done with it.QUOTE]

this is what i am doing as soon as i can get some cash for a camper

GM4X4LOVER
June 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
We did the truck camper and trailer. My GCW is usually around 18-20k. I have been really happy with that combo. We have 3 kids and all sleep in the camper. One usually sleeps on the floor with the dog. It stays dry, warm, and level. The wind not a big deal either. I can imagine how much simply it would be with out the kids. I have thought about getting a gooseneck trailer and putting the slide in on it. But i didnt like the thought of having to pull a 30' goose to use my 10' camper by its self. The problem i see with using a enclosed trailer and coverting it to a camper would be how low to the ground they are. It wouldnt work very well for getting off the beaten path.

JimhatTJ
June 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
buy mine and add ac/heat and some windows to it.

Chris Halvorson
June 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
For now it will just be 3 people....I am entertaining the idea of a slide in camper and just getting another flatbed with 5K axles....there are pro's and con's to every setup.

The thought of the Enclosed being low to the ground is a good reminder for me...so something like a 24' enclosed would rub on the ground pretty hard in most places.

James, your 36' trailer is too long for me. It would be nice to have the capacity to haul 2 jeeps, but I only have the one for now.

CJ_More
June 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I could have sworn that it was Xtreme 4x4 2006 EP8 - Ultimate Trailer. It was based on the fleetwood scorpion and they built a wider trailer to haul full-widths. Sounds like a sweet project that fits the need.

Check it here http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Ultimate-Trailer/dp/B000IMPMIA/ref=pd_vodsm_B000IMPMIA

WhyJay
June 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM
For now it will just be 3 people....I am entertaining the idea of a slide in camper and just getting another flatbed with 5K axles....there are pro's and con's to every setup.....................

This is where I am at in my thinking. Getting the new trailer this week, 5K axles, steel deck, dovetail, removable fenders, etc. Now starting to look at Pop-up slide-in options. Tow vehicle is a 2006 CTD 2500 quad cab short box. Not a perfect setup but versatile - I can also just slide the pop-up camper in and go fishing sometimes.

cmd11
June 21st, 2010, 08:44 PM
i like my toy hauler - 2008 keystone fuzion 382. my cj7 on 42s fits into the 16ft garage. i went with this specific hauler because of the 'wall-less' garage. I can position the jeep far enough forward over the triple axles so that it acts as the ballast and helps me dial my pin weight.

another member of our group puts his early bronco in his 382 and pulls it with a megacab srw truck.

ZJROCKRIG
June 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
buy mine and add ac/heat and some windows to it.

I have been eyeing that set up, since that is exactly what I need. I need to sell some other toys first for the funds though.:thumbsup:

My dilemma is my 14 yrold son now has his own rig. We have three Jeeps now and need to tow at least two at a time. Sucks to have to have somebody else "drive" my rig just so I can wheel it while I tow my sons on our 18' bumper pull trailer.

I have thought about a slide in too (I have a short bed 2500 CTD), but I think trying to pull two jeeps on a superlong bumper pull would be just too much. The gooseneck with a camper on the front seems to be the best option for me anyway with the two rigs.

Good discussion!:beer:

Chris Halvorson
June 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have been looking for a while. I did find some pretty sweet toy haulers that would most likely would work for my application and pocketbook(Work & play toy haulers, some older Alfa, some NuWa). Glad I am not the only one in the same situation. Keystone fuzions are out of the question...way to much for my piggy bank. A guy at work just picked up the largest Fuzion you can get in a dual axle toy-hauler. 47K later....but it is bad ass. He uses it for his mountain biking/ family outings. They go a lot and can justify the costs.

I did look on the board classifieds, and there are a few good deals on there. Butch Tucker has a nice setup, James trailer is great for 2 Jeeps and a place to crash. There is a nice slide in pop up as well.

I have also considered a smaller toy hauler (18-24') and just leave the TJ at home. I do really like the design of most toy haulers and the amenities that come with them, and now I have to think about my family as a whole, not just what I like to do.

We shall see what happens in the months to come.

Keep the ideas, experiences (good and bad) coming. This way I am more informed.

cmd11
June 22nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
i paid about 10k less than that for my fuzion.

40ft long, 16ft garage, three 6000 lb 8 lug axles, two slides. now granted, I did not buy a new model year, but rather found a leftover 2008 model that was new, never sold. they were all to happy to unload it.

GM4X4LOVER
June 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
I have been eyeing that set up, since that is exactly what I need. I need to sell some other toys first for the funds though.:thumbsup:

My dilemma is my 14 yrold son now has his own rig. We have three Jeeps now and need to tow at least two at a time. Sucks to have to have somebody else "drive" my rig just so I can wheel it while I tow my sons on our 18' bumper pull trailer.

I have thought about a slide in too (I have a short bed 2500 CTD), but I think trying to pull two jeeps on a superlong bumper pull would be just too much. The gooseneck with a camper on the front seems to be the best option for me anyway with the two rigs.

Good discussion!:beer:

That also scares me as we are also to the point were 2 rigs are going half the time. I would like us to all go in one tow vehicle but i cant see how it is practical. One thing that scares me is the 2 vehicle bumper pull with a 10' slide in camper. I am already using an extension for the receiver hitch and putting that much tongue weight on it bothers me. I would like to do a gooseneck but i need at least a 42' deck trailer and i figure by the time i have 2 rigs the camper the trailer and the dually i think my GCW will be to much (roughly 29k) for my truck. Plus it would be nice to be able to just use the camper at times.

Chris Halvorson
June 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
i paid about 10k less than that for my fuzion.

40ft long, 16ft garage, three 6000 lb 8 lug axles, two slides. now granted, I did not buy a new model year, but rather found a leftover 2008 model that was new, never sold. they were all to happy to unload it.

You sir are a smart man....others are not..LOL. I would still need a different truck to pull that monster. My CTD can pull a lot, but it is still just a 3/4 ton truck.:D

CSP
June 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
What's the weight of your Keystone with the CJ in it Corey?

nridler
June 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
I have a Lance slide-in and tow the jeep with a hitch extension. It's one of the lightest they make and I imagine I'm getting close to pushing some of the weight limits on my F-350. It's a good set-up as long as you don't spend a lot of time in the camper. The tanks on the slide-in's are pretty small too.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/nridler/Moab%202010/P3180001.jpg

Chris Halvorson
June 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Nate, that is a really nice setup if you ask me. The lances are nice campers. I have stayed in one down at Carnage BV, it was really nice and kept us all warm (20 degrees when we woke up).

The slide in and trailer behind is getting more enticing for sure. The toy hauler is bad ass, but once I start a little build on my current TJ, I don't want to drag around a toy hauler everywhere (such as Penrose or something close) just to get it there. I have seen pros and cons with the hard side/pop up slide in's...but we shall see.

Chris Halvorson
June 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
What's the weight of your Keystone with the CJ in it Corey?

I would bet fully loaded he is around 18K+. My friends smaller Fuzion is around 13K loaded with mountain bikes and gear.

cmd11
June 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
the trailer weighs 12,820 with no water, but does include our clothing, food, 30 gallons of generator fuel, ect, and the jeep weighs 4,200 in ready to wheel condition. I had my jeep weight last year and it came in at 4,800 initially. I put it on a diet and shed the body armor, tube fenders, heavy skid plate, windshield frame, steel half doors, ect.

so, total weight is 17,020 for the trailer, and GCW is 24,420.

it is certainly heavy. I do tow it my existing 2003 dodge ram 3/4t diesel truck, but the truck has been beefed (air bags, pacbrake, tires, ect). My truck is a 6spd manual and when pulling this heavy, it can run OD on the flats. The steep hills will pull it down to about 45ish mph but it does fine. I don't push it hard, keep an eye on egts, and don't get in a hurry. The trailer alone has enough braking power to stop the entire shebang quite rapidly, so braking is a non issue. It drives very well, and is balanced great.

I spent a lot of time at the scales weighing individual axle loads and found that while I am under for each axle (the tires are the limiting factor, not the axle itself), I am over the door sticker GCWR.

FWIW, I have a friend who owns this exact same trailer and puts an early bronco in the back. He tows with a 2008 megacab 3500 SRW and his experience is very similar to mine. his truck is an automatic and has the 6.7l motor.

tjjared413
June 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
I have a Lance slide-in and tow the jeep with a hitch extension. It's one of the lightest they make and I imagine I'm getting close to pushing some of the weight limits on my F-350. It's a good set-up as long as you don't spend a lot of time in the camper. The tanks on the slide-in's are pretty small too.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w351/nridler/Moab%202010/P3180001.jpg

:drool::drool::drool::drool: man i want a side in camper so bad!!!:cool:

GM4X4LOVER
June 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
cmd -- can you post pic's of your set up? I am really interested to see how much room is on either side of the jeep when its in the back.

cmd11
June 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't have any pictures yet. As soon as my jeep is back together I will post some up. However, i can tell you that when it's in there, there is about 2 inches clearance on either side. The door opening is a standard 8ft single car garage door dimension. In order to get the jeep in there, I have to remove the fold out sofa from the side. it's tight, but you have to remember my jeep is on full width axles and 42in Iroks. If mine will fit, then pretty much any jeep or jeep sized vehicle will fit. my jeep is 13 ft long overall from winch fairlead to rear tow shackle. When it's pulled all the way up to the counter, I have about 3ft of room behind it.

daveshan
June 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Slide in with trailer is good for getting off the beaten path also.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/daveshan_2008/moab.jpg

Lance 845 on an F-250 short bed towing a 16' trailer with a 24" extension in a Reese Titan (2.5" hitch) under all axle weights and way under GCVWR.

Chris Halvorson
June 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well we have narrowed it down a little:

Slide in campers are out. The wife refuses to remove/install the slide in every week or so, an I am not DD my CTD with a slide in always mounted. These are great campers and I like the concept.

This is what we are looking at:
-Toy haulers, TT and 5er style that will fit the Jeep.
-TT or 5er style campers and flat tow the Jeep behind it.
-TT or 5er style campers and leave the Jeep at home.
-buy a flatbed or trailer and use the current gear we have (so that means leave the wife and kid at home..LOL)

Issues:
-I have found some nice TT style toy haulers that are around 31-33', tripple axle that would come really close if not over gross trailer weight. The Jeep was weighed this morning, 4500 lbs without me in it. My truck was 6900 lbs. The trailers I have been looking at are between 7700-8700 lbs empty. So I would be around 19,100 without food and water...so I would be overweight a little.
Thing is, do I really want to drag around 33' of TT behind me all the time, even if we just go camping for the weekend? We do have some mountain property that we can park the trailer at to keep it out of our neighborhood...so that shouldn't be an issue.

-Looking at getting a 5ver toy hauler/or no toy hauler option (26-29') and flat tow behind it. I may get some more motorsports toys later on as well, hense flat towing the Jeep.

-Looking at getting a smaller Travel Trailer Toy hauler (22-26') leave the Jeep at home. This would be easier to get into places. I don't really like RV parks, the way I look at that, might as well just got a Hotel Room or Cabin. From what I have been told, the TT style do not pull as well as 5ers, but in off highway situations they do a lot better.

Opinions again please.....

cmd11
June 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM
towing a heaving toy hauler is not for everyone. it is certainly an exercise in concentration. with mine, 40ft is a lot of length and you have to pay extremely close attention to making turns. A few weekends ago, we had a lot of fun trying to negotiate a stop at Wendy's in colorado springs on garden of the gods road. My slider hitch has been giving me a lot of problems and refused to lock in the manuever mode so getting back out of the parking lot was 'interesting'. I have since had Reese replace the square tube slider with a round tube slider and fixed this issue.

one other option would be to go with a smaller 5er, install a hitch on the back or the 5er, and then tow the jeep on a trailer behind that. Obviously you would want to watch your tongue weight on the rear of the 5er and make sure it doesn't throw your pin weight out, but towing triples is doable. While your GCW would be high, your axle weights would be well within reason. Figure on your jeep on the trailer weighing around 7000lbs, plus the 5er at around 9500lbs loaded, plus whatever your truck weighs. I have seen it done by a friend of mine from alabama. He tows his junk all around the country like this and when they get to a camp spot for the night, they unload the jeep from the trailer, unhook the jeep trailer, and then use the jeep towing the jeep trailer to follow the truck/5er in to the camp spot. This takes two drivers though. On the highway, he cruises at 60mph, uses an exhaust brake for the hills, and with the weights properly balanced, he says it tows fine. he has run this combo over monarch.... so that says something.

gkainz
June 25th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Logic is futile once the wife's mind is made up, but honestly, unloading/loading a TC is only slightly more involved that hooking/unhooking a 5th wheel trailer. With the newer electric remote-control jacks, it's pretty much a non-event.

Good luck in your shopping ... I still vacillate about 3x per day between wanting a TC or a small 5er ... maybe that means I really need one of each?

daveshan
June 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Logic is futile once the wife's mind is made up, but honestly, unloading/loading a TC is only slightly more involved that hooking/unhooking a 5th wheel trailer. With the newer electric remote-control jacks, it's pretty much a non-event.

QFT, after the first couple of times it's at most a 10 minute thing. The rest is the same as any other RV which is stocking etc. I keep duplicates of everything non-perishable in the TC ready to go so I can be on the road in short order.

COcummins
June 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
my plan (when funds permit) is a goose neck flat bed about 25' deck length with 7k axles, a slide in pop up camper on the front with the someday finished cralwer on the back. then in the winter parking the trailer and putting the popup in the back of my tow rig for extended snowboarding trips and hunting if i can ever find a 5rnd mag for my rifle.

Chris Halvorson
June 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hell, you should look at Butch Tuckers setup then. It would handle the CTD very nicely.

mrutledge
June 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Opinions again please.....

Time to buy a motorhome and tow the jeep with it.

-Matt

COcummins
June 30th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hell, you should look at Butch Tuckers setup then. It would handle the CTD very nicely.

got any pictures of it? i couldn't find any with a search, only trail pics.

josh
July 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
dont have any interior pics but I picked this up a couple months ago. It has a 30 ft. deck and the camper made from the front of a horse trailer takes up 12 feet of it which leaves plenty of room for the buggy or jeep. I've always wanted a goose neck with a slide in on it but this is much roomier, although Im sure heavier. We have already used it a few times and I love it. Its nice to have a fridge and sink and heat when you take the family out.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/joshfj40/32118_1338548696304_1008745531_3073.jpg

Chris Halvorson
July 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
got any pictures of it? i couldn't find any with a search, only trail pics.

The posting is back up in the classifieds.

Chris Halvorson
July 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Well, I think it will be a smaller 22-26' toy hauler and leave the Jeep at home unless one of us drives it. Took the wife out today, and she liked the smaller toy haulers...bumper pulls.

GPP33
July 6th, 2010, 11:21 PM
dont have any interior pics but I picked this up a couple months ago. It has a 30 ft. deck and the camper made from the front of a horse trailer takes up 12 feet of it which leaves plenty of room for the buggy or jeep. I've always wanted a goose neck with a slide in on it but this is much roomier, although Im sure heavier. We have already used it a few times and I love it. Its nice to have a fridge and sink and heat when you take the family out.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/joshfj40/32118_1338548696304_1008745531_3073.jpg

I've never been a fan of the slide in on the goose neck due to floor space but I like this a lot.

When I can scratch the funds together I plan on an 8' popup and a ~18 - 20' trailer. Set it up so you can pull the popup on sideways at the front of the trailer, fold the toung of the pop up and swing the jeep around to the back. This get's you more floor space than a slide in and allows you to pull just the jeep, just the camper or both.

Only problem is if you want a bigger popup you need to go with a much bigger trailer since 8' is all you can do sideways. If you are open to something in the 25' to 30' range though you're options are pretty open.