PDA

View Full Version : MINI vs Porsche at Road Atlanta

cheftyler
June 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
This will be epic in so many ways. Scroll down the page and check out the video, hilarious!

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/06/07/exclusive-mini-vs-porsche-its-real-its-on/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motoringfile+%28MotoringFile%29&utm_content=Twitter

Camp
June 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
That is funny but, the front straight is more than enough for the Carrera S to gobble up and pass the Mini. It won't matter how well the Mini does in the back on the turns or coming down the hill, the Porsche will run off on it along pit row. I've set cars up to run on that track and I just don't see this as much of a challenge. I was lucky enough to set cars up for that track, working with the chief mechanic for Porsche North America, who was a really funny guy.

He also passed me after the race out on the interstate like I was standing still, in his company car (aka a Carrera 4, baby blue :barf: ). I was in the triple digits when he went by me, with a host of other cars in tow.

Jeffro600
June 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM
lol, so what are the specifics? What can they run(assuming neither vehicle will be stock)? Ill be tuning into that one for sure!

scottycards
June 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Way to go, MINI.

cheftyler
June 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Chad, it's just a PR stunt and great one at that, I completely agree with you that the Porsche will wipe the track with MINI but it'll be fun to watch.
As far as what they can run, I'm guessing it's stock vs stock as it says a Carrera S vs a Cooper S (if they were thinking of bringing the John Cooper Works version that would make up for *some* of the power disadvantage but not enough).

Either way, should be fun :D

Mcstiff
June 10th, 2010, 09:27 AM
If Porsche turned it down "they were scared of the Mini". Really, they should show up with a Cayman! Since it is the closest thing to a budget car they make (even though it is not a 2+2).

Camp
June 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I think it would be more fun is Porsche brought one of everything to the track and set them all loose at once for this gig. Including a RUF Turbo :drool:

scottycards
June 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM
This was on jalopnik.............I doubt it's real, but still funny.

Porsche has declined Mini's offer to pit a 911 Carrera S against Mini Cooper S at Road Atlanta next week. Here is Porsche Cars North America President Detlev Von Platen explanation for why.

Mini USA poked at their German non-rivals earlier this week when they started a media blitz to tempt Porsche to put up a 911 Carrera S against their Mini Cooper S at Road Atlanta next week. Initially, Porsche told us they were considering it but it seems they've decided against sullying their brand in such a race.

Here's Porsche North America's President's letter to Mini USA's chief Jim McDowell.

Dear Jim,
Imagine our surprise to discover our former employee, now the head of Mini, has challenged us to a head-to-head race. As you surely know, Porsche has a long history of racing success, with more than 28,000 wins over the last 60 years. In our early days, we pitted ourselves against the giants, so we've been in your shoes.
But as you also know, Porsche doesn't race for fame, stunts or publicity. We race to challenge ourselves; we race to push sports car technology; we race to translate every win on the track to our cars on the road. If you
need a reminder of our intent, please take a look at this short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3A1ERsvY4&feature=player_embedded

While your challenge seems like a fun and lighthearted campaign, we'll stick to racing the way we have over the decades. We welcome you at Sebring, Le Mans, Daytona or any other sanctioned race where there is more at stake than T-shirts and valet parking spaces. We also invite you to any of the thousands of tracks around the world where Porsche owners compete each weekend.
Good luck with your race at Road Atlanta on June 21; we hope you enjoy the day.
Sincerely,
Detlev Von Platen
President and CEO, Porsche Cars North America
[Source: Porsche]

Jeffro600
June 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Pussy... :lmao:

Hippie
June 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ_jDh2JKhs) is a vid of a Mini lapping a Vette @ Daytona - just for Scotty :flipoff2: