PDA

View Full Version : Tripod or monopod?

ColoradoSkier
May 22nd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Kinda thinking I want a monopod, or maybe a new tripod where the center column can be removed and used like a monopod. Anyone have experience with these?

Jeffro600
May 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Kinda thinking I want a monopod, or maybe a new tripod where the center column can be removed and used like a monopod. Anyone have experience with these?

For sports(or anything you will be moving alot)?

Monopod hands down. I have a Manfrotto 681B with a 234RC tilt head. Works great and you can find them brand new for well under 100 bucks. If your moving around alot a tripod is just going to make you miserable and wear your arms out quicker. Monopods are a trade off though...they give you support and can let you go down a bit safely in shutter speed but nothing like a good tripod. They take a little bit of practice to get good with.

For everything else(portraits, still settings, macro work, etc), a good tripod is tough to beat. DO NOT skimp on the tripod...ive made this mistake three times now and am finally on a totally huge, obnoxious one and FINALLY happy. Buy the biggest and best you can afford. Even higher end makers make smaller tripods and thats where i was going wrong mostly...i was buying quality tripods but i was using them near or at their loading capacity which made me hate life. I finally found one that would support a full sized, pro body and big heavy lenses like my 100-400 or 70-200...but found they work ever better with lighter packages because they are just so stout. Either way, get something with a ballhead. Go with aluminum tubes unless you can afford the cost of carbon fiber.

Best bet is to take your camera with the heaviest lens you have and go walk through a local camera store and try several out and see which have features you want and seem sturdy enough. I think i remember Mikes having a bunch of tripods on their floor? JAX sports in Collins had a dozen or so higher end models a few years ago ago...thats where i bought my first non wally world tripod(it also was a Manfrotto) and was in sheer delight when i brought it home and discovered what i had been missing all this time. Plan to spend at least 150 bucks for a decent one brand new...but dont turn your nose up at a good used one. I bought mine used and while it had some scratches here and there from the PO, it was just as solid as a new one and probably will be for the rest of its life...and i paid half of what it cost new(was about a 400 dollar tripod brand new a few years ago). Also remember, once you get into the realm of pro level tripods, most of them are sold with the head and legs separately so keep that in the back of your mind when price shopping.

rubbersidedown
May 22nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
I picked up a Manfrotto 680B (mono) and a Vangaurd SBH-250 ball head. I'm loving it so far! I can really tell that it helps steady my shots! I do have the Manfrotto 055-XPROB on the WANT list for those time I need the longer exposures!!

ColoradoSkier
May 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
These are the 2 I am looking at:

Benro MP-98M8 Monopod
http://www.adorama.com/BE454098.html

Cullman Magnesit Tripod w/ Monopod column
http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20368595.html

And the Vanguard SBH-250 head for whichever.

rubbersidedown
May 23rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Something to research is just how low your tripod will take you! It seems you like macro quite a bit. That's why I want the 055-XPROB. The center column will pull up and into a vertical position and get you really low to the ground.

I think you will love the Vanguard! I think it is very overlooked! Their quick release system is very similar to Swiss Arca, which is supposed to be the best according to those in the know!!

Head over to Mikes Camera and play for a while! I went in three times and set everything up, and put different ball heads on all the pods I was interested in! Manfrotto has a really nice mono-pod like the Benro you are looking at!

ColoradoSkier
May 23rd, 2010, 01:01 PM
That Cullman lets you invert the center too, kinda thinking I might go for that...

ColoradoSkier
May 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I wound up putting those thoughts on hold and ordered something I really need - a 60" umbrella and 10' lightstand. :)

rubbersidedown
May 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Sweet! Just buy the tripod next week!!:D

I just bought a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 today! It's going to be hell waiting for it be delivered!!:D

Jeffro600
May 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I wound up putting those thoughts on hold and ordered something I really need - a 60" umbrella and 10' lightstand. :)

Did ya buy the umbrella adapter too?

ColoradoSkier
May 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Already had one Jeffro.