PDA

View Full Version : ATV riding around Ouray

GJ87xj
April 27th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Looking to plan a trip to Ouray mid summer to ride ATVs'. Want to do as many trails as possible in a weekend. Anyone have any insight on trailheads, Obstacles that are not ATV friendly etc?

zkeys
April 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Looking to plan a trip to Ouray mid summer to ride ATVs'. Want to do as many trails as possible in a weekend. Anyone have any insight on trailheads, Obstacles that are not ATV friendly etc?

If you do not have the Charles Wells Silverton/Ouray/Lake City ATV book I would suggest picking it up.

www.funtreks.com

Pretty much everything in Ouray is ATV friendly, the only thing to note is that Poughkeepsie Gulch would be the hardest trail. Not impossible, but would probably just require some skill.

I will be out there the week of August 2nd and would welcome some riding company.

Thanks,

Zack

zkeys
April 27th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Oh, and visit www.traildamage.com for additional trail head locations.

Gotlift91
April 27th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I also recommend the Charles Wells book...very helpful!

And I've rode every single trail down there, and they are all ATV friendly. Granted their are a few "downsides" to riding some of the trails on an ATV...such as you cannot go down the switchbacks on Black Bear ( it becomes a one way trail ). You have to stop a good ways before them, and will have to hike down to see them and the waterfall.

Another one is if you want to do the complete Alpine Loop, you'll have to do Engineers pass forward and reverse, and then Cinnamon Pass forward and reverse...which isn't a big deal.

One trail I HIGHLY recommend is Wagner Gultch. It's a side trail off of Cinnamon Pass, and it leads up to the Carson City ghost town. That is a really fun trail! Up past the ghost town, there is a bunch of little trails all over the place up there, and you can spend a lot of time just exploring! :thumbsup:

Matt Peterson
April 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Wagner gulch connects to a exciting but difficult trail called "Lost trail" which is almost untouched by ATV's. Charles Wells book shows it. Highly recommend it.