PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell or stock tank?

_CJ
April 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Thinking about installing a fuel cell, but wondering if it's worth the hassle. Have any of you guys installed one and regreted it?

The open road rule books say a cell isn't required below 168 mph, but I'm considering it for safety.

Install the cell and lose trunkspace/fuel guage? Build a custom drop in the trunk to place the cell lower and keep trunk space? The stock tank currently hangs below the trunk floor where most cars have a spare tire.

Keep the stock tank and add crash protection, like a skid plate or something?

Trunk space is an issue because I want to drive the car on the street, to the events, social cruises, etc.

Rhodo
June 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I see nobody answered, bummer, I found your post because I knocked a coupla holes in my plastic fuel tank last week at Carnage Canyon. I need to explore my options.

_CJ
June 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
No replies, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to stick with the stock tank for now. The plan was to install a roll bar, fuel cell, etc. and make the car legal for 168mph tech speed, but I'm backing off of that for now. Since building the new exhaust I've really been enjoying the car on the street and don't know if I really want to hack it up.

The plan now is to get some new 3-point belts, recover the seat, paint it and start running some events in lower speed classes.

Steve
June 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
None of the events we run with a tech speed of 168 require a fuel cell. If you want to step up to the next class, with a tech speed of 180, then yeah a cell is required. But so is a full cage and a whole lot of other stuff you probably don't want to do either.

_CJ
June 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
None of the events we run with a tech speed of 168 require a fuel cell. If you want to step up to the next class, with a tech speed of 180, then yeah a cell is required. But so is a full cage and a whole lot of other stuff you probably don't want to do either.

The way I read the rules is that the "may require" a fuel cell for certain vehicles. Given that my tank is located under the floor of the trunk like a Pinto (right behind the bumper), I think they might have an issue.

Either way, I'm keeping the stock tank. Might fab up some sort of skid plate like I have on my Scout to add some level of impact protection.

For now, I'll go as fast as they let me without a roll bar which appears to be 124 mph with a 3-point belt. Or 140 if I can figure out a way to run a 5-point harness without a bar. Seems like I've seen people anchor them to the rear package tray or rear seat belt mounting points?

Steve
June 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Here's the Tech Inspection Form for the race we ran last weekend. It provides a good summary of the rules on one page.

_CJ
July 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
Here's the Tech Inspection Form for the race we ran last weekend. It provides a good summary of the rules on one page.

hmmmm, don't see any grey area in MKM's long form. Must have been one of the other races. Either way, the stock tank is staying for now.

Thinking about a bolt in roll bar of some sort. Mounted welded to the body instead of the frame so I don't have to cut open the floor and run solid body mounts. I don't expect to get any sort of additional safety clearance from a sanctioning body, but it would aid my peace of mind. Won't do anything until I run an event or two and speak with the tech staff in person with the car present.