PDA

View Full Version : local lens rental

rubbersidedown
April 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Any one know a local place to rent the Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm) Mikes doesnt show it on their list for rental. And at their prices I probably wouldnt rent there anyway! :cool:

ColoradoSkier
April 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
These guys are in Boulder, and even though it is an online business, they allow local pickups.

http://prophotorental.com/

Not sure when they added Olympus to the mix, but I am psyched. Going to have to rent some things this summer...

rubbersidedown
April 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
These guys are in Boulder, and even though it is an online business, they allow local pickups.

http://prophotorental.com/

Not sure when they added Olympus to the mix, but I am psyched. Going to have to rent some things this summer...

No Sigma! :(

But the 100-400mm for 13$ a day is much better than 40$ a day from Mikes!!! I don't know. . .driving up to boulder twice may make up for the price difference!

:EDIT: Ohhhh. . .I see they ship!

Thanks for the link Chester!

Jeffro600
April 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
No Sigma! :(

But the 100-400mm for 13$ a day is much better than 40$ a day from Mikes!!! I don't know. . .driving up to boulder twice may make up for the price difference!

Your going to find, fewer and fewer places now days are renting Sigmas because of their crap quality control. A few big name renters have completely fazed them out. If you can get a good Sigma lens, theyre great...but finding one has because quite the challenge it seems as of recently. I was sorely disappointed with the 70-200 2.8 i bought after spending some time with it...but on the other hand, the "Bigma"(50-500) i had was an amazing lens. They need to step it up or they will go away quickly...Tamron, who also makes 3rd party lenses for most platforms doesnt seem to have the problems that Sigma does.

You'll love that 100-400L...its my favorite lens!! Fair warning though...once you use it, you wont wanna give it back!

ColoradoSkier
April 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Free no less...

NP, it's been posted in here before.

rubbersidedown
April 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
You'll love that 100-400L...its my favorite lens!! Fair warning though...once you use it, you wont wanna give it back!

That's what I'm afraid of!! :D
I really have not had many opportunities to get out and use the new camera! :( But I feel a strong pull toward wildlife and bird photography!!! So my first L glass will most likely be a long telephoto! I've spent countless hours reading about lenses on POTN, and have read all the good and bad about Sigma. For the price of a used one. . . that 500mm on my crop body sounds :drool:

ColoradoSkier
April 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I bought a Sigma when everyone told me not to. It appears I got a good one the first time around. Very happy I didn't have the problems others have.

Tiffany
April 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I will not buy another Sigma lens...after having been fortunate with a couple of good copies (70-200 and 17-70)...was plagued with nothing but horrible copy after horrible copy. When the rental companies stopped renting them due to poor QC and wouldn't even sell them I said fawk it and spent the money on 70-200 L...it hardly every leaves my camera.

I really was able to tighten up my gear bag...70-200L, 50 1.8 and Tamron 17-50 2.8. My next purchase will be the 100-400 for sure.